• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from California.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
So I've always bought local which makes it very simple, bring cash and drive home. Who here has bought or sold remotely? I'm wondering how money changes hands when the person can't immediately hand over the title.I'm talking outside of eBay or similar that have a mechanism to handle that. Transportation etc all seems straight forward but I'm fuzzy on that part.
And to be transparent (not that it would take Batman to figure this out) I'm thinking of buying from a forum member.

It's almost always a road trip for me. San Jose, CA, Denver CO, Buffalo NY, Knoxville TN, etc. I have also had a few shipped in. I have been lucky enough to have knowledgeable people do inspections for me. I have only been disappointed once in the last 35 years in the hobby and that was by a classic car dealer in Missouri. I should have been suspicious when he accepted my first offer without trying to get more $$$$ from me. He answered all my questions to a degree that I couldn't say he was actually lying, but they did skirt truth. My fault for not asking enough questions or going to inspect myself.
If a seller doesn't have the proper documentation for me to transfer ownership, then RUN! Promise of a title or registration is a big NO!
I deal in cash, or agreed payment options only. Personally I don't like paper trails. If the car is not paid off, the seller has to agree to meeting with the people holding the paper on the vehicle and they be paid off at the time of sale, guaranteeing you clear title.
Transport companies are many and depending on your time frame, shipping options, insurance, etc. can vary from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. Just figure it into the total amount you pay to see if it makes or breaks the deal.

One of the first questions was to check if the title is in the sellers name, and they say it is. It’s not a dealer, I hear nothing but horror stories when it comes to classic dealers and I have avoided them. So far very forthcoming with pics that don’t hold back on the ugly parts, which I always appreciate when picking one of these projects.

Auto Transport Service
Back