• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help ID my hemi engine

gtxclone

Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
I just purchased a crate motor from someone here and he said he was certain it was a 2008 motor i think it is a 2007 5.7 the numbers on the valve cover are TNXE6257710267 it has a front sump oil pan so i think it is a car engine can anyone verify this for me thanks

Front sump pan indicates a car engine, it will also be aluminum. Look under the manifold and if you see wires going to 4 plugs, then you have mds.

help id my hemi

thanks i'll check to see if there are four wires under the manifold how can i tell what year it is and what does mds mean i know its a stupid question but i'm very new to this gen 3 thing thanks

Mds stands for multi displacement system, what it does is shut off 4 cylinders when light throttle load is sensed such as freeway driving, and when you nail it, they come back to life seemlessly. By the way, there are NO stupid questions. I dont know how to tell the year of the motor, but mds for trucks started somewhere in 06 or 07 and cars were arounf 06 also, but quote me.

I just purchased a crate motor from someone here and he said he was certain it was a 2008 motor i think it is a 2007 5.7 the numbers on the valve cover are TNXE6257710267 it has a front sump oil pan so i think it is a car engine can anyone verify this for me thanks

I think it decodes as follows
TNX- Traceability Code
E6 - Saltillo, Mexio Engine Plant
257- Julian calendar -257th day of the year (Sept 14)
7- 2007
1- First shift?
0267 - engine serial number , 267th engine built that day

Auto Transport Service
Back