• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEMI CROSSRAM Fasteners

SSing

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Is there a set of hexhead bolts or do I get bolts and cut to proper lenght?
Thanks.

20240626 crossram FBBO.jpg

New to crossrams? When installing re-torque bolts several times until bolts hold. I make a project out of it, re-torque 10 times or more over 2 days. This is to compress gaskets. I check in a month or so to be safe. Excessive yes but a bolt going into a cylinder is a headache.

New to crossrams? When installing re-torque bolts several times until bolts hold. I make a project out of it, re-torque 10 times or more over 2 days. I check in a month or so to be safe. Excessive yes but a bolt going into a cylinder is a headache.
Yes, I understand this is important. Did you make your own set of bolts or is there a set to found with proper lenght?
I have no problem getting good quality hex head bolts and fixing it myself, just asking...

You can't make your own because they have captured flat washers. Just buy from A&A or someone else and cut 12 down to proper size.

4 3” bolts go under the plugs in the rear four holes (all the bolts in the kit will be 3") 6 2-3/4” bolts go in the carb openings, 4 2-1/2” bolts go under the four plugs in the front and and 2 2-1/4” bolts go in the exposed holes.

Mines not a crossram, But I made my own. All studs with captive washer nuts

intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

I prefer studs like that on the intake. The reason it won't work on a crossram is if a nut comes loose it goes into the cylinder. And then it's a very bad day.

4 3” bolts go under the plugs in the rear four holes (all the bolts in the kit will be 3") 6 2-3/4” bolts go in the carb openings, 4 2-1/2” bolts go under the four plugs in the front and and 2 2-1/4” bolts go in the exposed holes.
Guess you are right. And a lose washer when you try to get the bolt in place, may be an even bigger problem if you fumble.
Thank you.

I know it's expensive and a hassle but there's just not a better way. I took 1 bolt out of the package to show the attached SEMS washer. The old Mopar part number is on there if it helps you.

IMG_1164.jpeg

Are the intake fasteners different for crossram versus street hemi?

Yes. Crossrams used 14 bolts like pictured above and 2 studs (like a Street Hemi) on the exposed holes. For torquing you use 16 bolts like above so you don't have to change the socket 100 times. If it's a Pebble Beach restoration you can then replace to exposed bolts with the factory studs.

New to crossrams? When installing re-torque bolts several times until bolts hold. I make a project out of it, re-torque 10 times or more over 2 days. This is to compress gaskets. I check in a month or so to be safe. Excessive yes but a bolt going into a cylinder is a headache.
I always used Vaseline on the intake side of the gaskets ,(per Tom Hoover), never had to retorque it/them...

I like the captured washer bolts. When I did mine first the time 1972 didn't know about them. So I used an 1/8" rod through plug hole into bolt hole. put a washer on the rod and it dropped into hole then the bolt. Not the best like captured washers.

I always used Vaseline on the intake side of the gaskets ,(per Tom Hoover), never had to retorque it/them...
I'm sure going to try that next time. It would probably lessen that amount of passes that you have to make to get it torqued down also. I usually put everything together dry because I figure I will want to make some changes and I don't want to fight gasket stuff everywhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back