• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi everyone!

lvmymopar

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased my first mopar. A 66 Dodge Coronet 440 superbee tribute. I LOVE it! Super happy with it. I just found that it has air shocks on it. Does anyone know if they came with the air shocks or were they put on later? Les Schwab said they were old shocks but not sure if they came with the car. I am excited to be part of the mopar family.

P8030327.jpg

Welcome. No Mopar that I know of left the factory with air shocks. Someone added them probably due to the rear springs needing to be replaced. Buy new springs and a regular pair of shocks. You'll be glad you did

I should have added WHY you NEED to get rid of the air shocks. These cars were NOT designed for the shock mounts to be "load bearing". Air shocks (when inflated) do exactly the opposite. They (the shocks and mounts) are now carrying the weight of the car. This can, and will, crack the upper mounts. They also make the cars ride really hard.

Ditch them at your first opportunity

I should have added WHY you NEED to get rid of the air shocks. These cars were NOT designed for the shock mounts to be "load bearing". Air shocks (when inflated) do exactly the opposite. They (the shocks and mounts) are now carrying the weight of the car. This can, and will, crack the upper mounts. They also make the cars ride really hard.

Ditch them at your first opportunity

that's why i took off my air shocks and threw them in the street!
welcome to the board!

A pair of H/D springs or S/S springs is alot cheaper & easier, than rebuilding rear mounts

I had Les Schwab look at them and they said that whoever installed the shocks they did an excellent job. Reinforced the mounts and all that. They told me that all that looked great. Rides super nice too. A real cruiser. So I guess my attitude is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" LOL. Plus I don't have the money to replace them at this time.

Welcome aboard,My 71 chally had airshocks installed at the dealer in 71.Your coronet is SWEET!!

Very nice car. Who radiused the wheelwells? And one other question. Who,s Les Schwab? Should we recognize that name?

I had Les Schwab look at them and they said that whoever installed the shocks they did an excellent job. Reinforced the mounts and all that. They told me that all that looked great. Rides super nice too. A real cruiser. So I guess my attitude is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" LOL. Plus I don't have the money to replace them at this time.

Ooooook....whatever

Les Schwab is a tire center here in Oregon. Pretty big here in Oregon. They do tires, brakes, shocks, etc. Our local Les Schwab does small mechanic stuff. I use them alot because I can only do so much. (for a girl) LOL! Pretty good place. Been very happy with them. I dont know who changed the wheelwells. Got it like that. There are pretty big tires on the back so that is probably why. I did just get done changing the plugs and plug wires, lube, oil and filter change.

Ever see what a fender does to a tire when a air line takes a crap?You dont want to.:sad:

I didnt know there were different drivelines? It is a round tubular thing. I took all the air out of the shocks just to see if anything would rub or touch and where and how it would sit if the air went out of it. Nothing rubbed or was touching the tires. But we don't drive it or keep it like that. How much air should you keep in the air shocks? Les Schwab put about 50 pounds in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back