• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High idle - Open throttle - New carb

Thirdeye00

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
I recently got my Plymouth running. It's been running fine for a week. Now it's idles high. I manually close the carb and it idles down. I posted pictures of the carb setup if anyone can see anything or point me on the right direction.

PXL_20240630_163601219.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

PXL_20240630_163541492.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

Where did you find that carb? I have never seen one like it.
Mike

I did not notice the acc. pump linkage yesterday. That's why I remarked about the appearance. The lower slot in the pump should be under the washer and adjusted with a clip to get the correct bowl vent opening. The pull off adjustment looks out of wack too.
Mike

Last edited:
Like hofferwood stated, is that an aftermarket return spring as well as the kickdown spring? It doesn't appear you have any preload tension on either one.

Where did you find that carb? I have never seen one like it.
Mike
The carb is a Carter 1-1/4" BBD 2 barrel. The hot and cold idle adjustment screws are on the spring side or the side where the throttle cable attaches. The screw closest to the linkage bell crank arm is the hot idle speed screw; the other screw would contact the fast idle (cold idle speed) screw notched or stepped counterweight cam. Take a pix of the linkage side of tthe carb.
BOB RENTON

Your accelerator pump rod may have something to do with your symptom. It looks like it was bent way out of adjustment forcing the pump stem to sit way too high. Attached is a reference pic.
Capture+_2024-06-30-20-52-19~2.png

Your accelerator pump rod may have something to do with your symptom. It looks like it was bent way out of adjustment forcing the pump stem to sit way too high. Attached is a reference pic.
View attachment 1687168

I circled the places on my carb. Is that what you are talking about? The circle on the right, does the bar need to go to the left hole?

Untitled.jpg

Like hofferwood stated, is that an aftermarket return spring as well as the kickdown spring? It doesn't appear you have any preload tension on either one.

Are you saying both of these springs need to have more tension? Yes, all the springs are new/

Untitled23.jpg

That kickdown spring looks loose. Had a similar problem with my GTX last summer after I knocked it loose while detailing the engine for Carlisle, and re-attached it in the wrong location. Finally figured it out last month.

Auto Transport Service
Back