• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley vs Edelbrock

dfrazz

Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Age old discussion and everyone has their preference in carburetor, but I thought this video had some interesting points when comparing Holley vs Eddy. His recommendation is Eddy for cruiser type engine and Holley for racing. What say you and why?

I tend to agree. Prefer edelbrock for 95% of my applications. They're just really easy to work with and clean. Not spilling gas everywhere anytime you work on them. You give up a little performance with edelbrock but if you have power steering, or AC, or street tires, or a full interior, etc you're also giving up performance.

I'm a big believer in spread bore carburetors for street cars. The small primaries are great for off the line responsiveness while the really large secondaries are great when you go all out.

Chrysler dropped the AFB and AVS carbs in lieu of Holley on several models. They went back to Carter when the TQ came to be. FYI.
Mike

I've been a fan of the AFB's for years. Don't matter who Edelbrock,Carter,Weber, and those Italian's.
It's a personal preference. Could be from back in the 60's when Chrysler started using Holley's.1968ish ?
That was on the big land barges. Always messing with 'um at the dealership.
Seemed they became problemsum after 2-3 years. Put a kit in them and a year later messing with them again.
Weren't great on mileage too.
But some love 'um,Mostly Chevy guys:poke:

I guess I'm lucky I don't have the memory of the post war era factory 600 holleys
But fortunate that I live in the now and only deal with new completely redesigned and perfected holley style carbs.
Don't go to a drag strip or any kind of performance based car gathering and ask which edelbrock to get. You'll receive blank stares

The street carb I like the best was TQ's. However it's hard to find a good one these days. I can make Edelbrocks or Holley styles work.

Having considerable experience back in the heyday with Holleys, Carters, 3310's, AFB, AVS, Quadrajets, etc, etc, all great carbs.... if I'm planting a 4-bbl on my Mopar today, it's gonna be a Thermo-quad.

One great thing about the TQ are all the adjustments to test/tune for hp:
- fully open position of the sec blades
- air valve fully open position
- AV spring
- met rod start position
- different AV dashpots

Auto Transport Service
Back