• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a vintage Go Cart

Paul_G

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
Looks like fun for the whole family. But how about that brake?

1671114115107.png

We used to have one something like that way back when
The big drive gear on the axel was almost as big as the tire
We do not live in town with pavement but out in the sticks with gravel
It was fun till you picked up a stone that got in the gear and broke the chain :(
The best time of the year was apple picking season and all the cars that drove on the grass packed it down good and you could rip around with no stones to worry about

Version 4 or 5 of my vintage kart, (lots of modifications), and my youngest son providing a little hands-on-training to his two sons. 40 years of riding takes it's toll on the paint.

IMG_0001.JPG

Here they are putting the wheels back on after the wife and I delivered it to their race track/yard. Belongs to them now, maintenance and all.

IMG_0162.JPG

My son has a Fox-Manco cart from when he was younger.
It has a disc brake on the rear. Solid live axle.
We started with a tired 3 1/2 Hp briggs and later put a new 7 hp on it.
Wow that thing was fast.
But what a pain putting tires on those little rims with tubes.

He cleaned it up and painted it years ago and maybe drove it once.
It's still behind my barn, he can't part with it.

The scrub brake is a simple yet effective system. If it had a race engine on it, then I would want a disk brake set up.

My son in 1997 at 9 years old racing his methanol powered Coyote in the WKA, we had a blast back then racing in many states on the east coast and south
1671143733481.jpeg
1671143733481.jpeg

Can I slip Old Blue in here for a cameo? I’ve had this since I was a kid. Currently on loan to a neighborhood kid who wanted to learn to ride so he could be out riding with his buddies. Good kids so I said yes!

12E2F7AA-9D35-4B84-BAC1-C9795D74D40C.jpeg

Can I slip Old Blue in here for a cameo? I’ve had this since I was a kid. Currently on loan to a neighborhood kid who wanted to learn to ride so he could be out riding with his buddies. Good kids so I said yes!

View attachment 1388067
thats awesome - my parents in the early 70s had "trail bikes" they were a little bigger and beefer than the normal mini bike. The one has been in the family every since and now my nephews beat around on it. They call it the Hawg.

My nephews being who they are - thought it would be an amazing idea to put one of their really hot junior dragster motors in place of the little 5hp. My brother builds wicked fast junior cars, and these kids have won everything under the sun in them across the country. So of course they pick some motor that is probably pushing 60 or more HP. I got a video and let me say it was outright scary and even scared the two boys enough they pulled it back and and pulled that motor....LOL there was supposed to be a vintage type mini bike race in their area on a flat dirt track. They built another Jr motor for it but a lot more mild and one the comet type clutch could handle.

Kids.... exactly what I would have done :)

My brother and I got this Cat Eliminator back in 1970-71. I put a new carb on it. Last year and got it running , now the disc breaks need some help.
88E366CA-409D-4BF8-949E-5A622B7DD369.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back