• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you end up doing what you do, or did, for a living?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Thought I’d ask members to share their stories about how they got into the line of work/careers they ended up doing. I’ve read a few posts some have mentioned about this I found really interesting more as side notes in posts, thought I’d start a thread on this. I’m guessing there are some interesting, entertaining, and maybe some humorous stories on this. Thanks for sharing them if, you want to.

Went to school to be an automotive technician, a few years after graduating I moved behind the service counter. After two years of that I started working for Crown Lift Truck servicing and repairing forklifts. Moved on from there worked at Fastenal for 3 months, then was offered a job as an electrical engineer programing and designing trash compactor panels. It's been a fun path so far!

Well, for me one day i was still in the Air Force, and then quickly, my enlistment came to an end, after 7 years.
I was an jet aircraft mechanic, and back then in the 1970's i owned a 71 Hemi GTX 4 speed car, and a big block 71 Cuda.
The RF-4C Phantom in my signature picture was the Phantom that i was the crew chief on.
Always worked on them, when needed, so i was also good, knowledgeable in auto mechanics.
So i had to find a job quickly, in civilian life, and fell into the automotive repair, line of work.
Did that till i was 58 years of age, then called it quits, and quit that line of work, and retired.
I'm now 71, but still "tinker" around, rebuilding certain parts, then putting them up for sale.

Last edited:
I was doing delivery for the Red Cross out of High school. Had no idea what I should be working on. Totally clueless at the time. Ran into a former classmate whose dad was a VP at a large local aerospace company. They were starting up an apprenticeship program…I made the cut.
Did two years of technical school which was 4 hours classroom and 4 hours of machine shop. Worked in every machine operation and test area they had.
Got hired on after I graduated. After 2 years wanted out of Buffalo NY. Got hired by same company at their R&D facility in Los Angeles. Worked for them 13 years until they closed the R&D facility. No way I was going back to Buffalo. Since then I morphed into quality management which has been great. Been 20 years this November at current job.
For work, I've been to and still visit more countries than I can even remember.

Started out plumbing OJT through school and a couple years after then next 10 was in a packing plant, it closed so I started hauling grain local then ended up running all over in a truck , 48 and some Canada. Pulled a variety of trailers.
After aprox 12 years of that , I went back to plumbing, our family had a body shop since 72,
Around 2000 I started working some nights there along with my day time plumbing job.
My stepdad came down with Parkinsons in 06 so I went into the body shop full time with my brother till I retired this last fall.

Ended up as a safety engineer/risk management, among other jobs tossed to me, such as head of security, union/labor relations, LONGER list as it went. Later training and attaining designations on other stuff, in the effort to get ahead as I went to other jobs. Funny though how I ended up going this route as I was not one who thought much on ‘safety’ considering my dumb-antics in my youth.

My boss, co-owner at a machine shop I started as a junior in HS, was like my 2nd dad. So lucky to have had him as a coach in my youth teaching me how to run machines, setup, and repair. He took me under his wing so to speak, having me do all sorts of stuff running the shop, material inventory, QC, and assistant foreman of the mill & drill supervising the housewives and kids working there part time. Lol, name it, and he had me involved some way, while the punk-ness of youth still lingered.

He would get on me about safety such as wearing safety eyewear, as I’d forget this. One time he saw me working at a bench using an air-grinder to deburr parts…while my glasses were laying on the bench. He said good morning, then picked up my glasses using nearby bluing-dye to draw eyeballs with eye lashes on the lenses. He handed them to me saying put these on, but may need to wipe them off first, lol.

This was only a couple years after OSHA and got inspected. Hell, even then I knew enough to figure the place could be toasted. The inspector didn’t catch much though, and then my boss put me in charge of a safety program! Wtf? Knew squat on it. Coincidently, had been looking at industrial engineering classes at a tech-school then and they had a course on industrial safety, majority of the classes dovetailed with the industrial engineering curriculum as it was. Then looked at job ads and safety engineer ads were all over at the time. There went my future route for the next about 50-years.

Now retired, nice memories and not so much, suppose might be similar for many. Had pondered on other paths I can only think I would have preferred; but choose a path that becomes routine and run. Started my own biz at 45 after hating the corporate politics and that went pretty well.

From watching all the sci-fi type shows from the 60's and the Apollo space program, I was always curious about computers. My parents didn't have the money to send me to college and there were no grants or scholarships available. My first thought was to join the military but after many of my friends, one year ahead of me, convinced me not to, my options were limited. I ended up going to one of those private technical schools that advertise on Saturday afternoon TV. It was a self paced electronics/computer certificate program that normally takes 2 years. I got my Certificate in 9 months.

After graduation I got word that a Silicon Valley company was interviewing. I went to the interview and the company offered me, my roommate and one of my teachers a job. We all accepted. Companies needed people quick and were willing to train people with any degree of computer training. Once I got my foot in the door I worked my up to Engineer over the years. After 40 or so years, the industry has changed drastically. I was forced into retirement during COVID.

During my career I travelled to several continents and been involved with a wide range of computer related sites. Early on I designed one of the first digital image systems for Hanna-Barbera Cartoons. Toward the end of my career I worked on large systems for NASCAR Media Group, CDC, and NOAA.

Started out going to school for architecture , worked for a company that made industrial control panels as draftsman, when slow I would work on the shop wiring panels , 40 yrs later I’ve been a controls electrician. No regrets !

Did four years in the Navy, when I got out jobs were hard to come by... I drove tow trucks, turned wrenches in a couple shops, working in a wrecking yard.. Whatever it took to put a few $$ in my pocket.... I took a few college courses, collected some VA bill benefits.. Eventually got hired at a Ford dealer.. Made a deal with the Service Mgr he sent me to every training course I could get qualified for, I didn't get paid to go... Most guys did, but most guys might get one maybe two tech schools a year... I got twelve... One a month.. I was the eighth Ford tech in California certified as a Triple Master... But mostly I got connected to trainers & troubleshooters which eventually got me hired by Ford as a troubleshooter... I was thinking the future was bright... Till they told me if I planned to continue with Ford I had to move to Detroit... I wouldn't mind moving but not to Detroit... Anyway, I wound up starting a small auto repair business, struggled for a few years, then one day I had a vehicle show up on a hook.. The guy seemed sort of technical so I told him if he wanted I'd see if I could diagnose it while he waited... Ran a few tests, explained what I was doing & why.. Had the vehicle running in less than thirty minutes & he offered me a job...

For the last twenty two years I've travelled mostly around the US but occasionally to Canada, Mexico & South America plus Europe.. Installing high speed labelers, training operators & techs, and doing diagnostics & repairs as needed... There's always been some design & fabrication which I enjoy & I had a small hobby machine shop.. But since Covid two of our contact machine shops folded & I've been making a lot of one off custom parts... Wound up picking up a Bridgeport & a decent sized lathe.... At this point I still do some work but I'm slowing down & focusing on my own projects... Well, not as much as I'd like, instead it's a constant list of "Honey Do's"

In my senior year of high school, I started working part time at a body shop as a prepper. After I graduated, was full time for 3 years but bounced back and forth at that shop to be a mechanics helper at the 4X part of the biz. Left there and started working parts at the Big A store in town. Moved 6 hours away and found a great job at a real live speed shop. Was there 5 years until my youth got the better of me, started working at my first dealer. Chevy/MB combo. Youth got to me again so I did odd jobs until I got a part time job working parts at the Peugeot/Alfa Romeo dealer. Left that and went full time at the Toyota/BMW dealer. Left that as the parts manager was a Phsycho and worked as a construction laborer for 2 years. After getting injured with that, back to parts for 6 years at two stores then two multiline dealers. GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Subaru/Isuzu at one and then Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/Suzuki at another. Moved back south again to work at dealers again x5 for 8 years. Found a job closer to home at a local body shop. Started as an estimator then in 6 months I'm running the show. 3.5 years there, then managed the family ranch after my dad passed away. 3 years on that but left do to the idiot trustee of the estate. Bounced around finding whatever I could as this was after 2009 and jobs were hard to find that actually paid. Worked as a pest control tech for 2 years. Went from that to an automotive repair shop working on special projects/classic cars since they were not flat rate jobs. Time and materials. Moved from that area back to here. Found a job at a hot rod shop for 2 years that is owned by one of the Over Haulin cast. Courtesy of a gent I had worked with before, got the boot from there. It worked out anyway as I had to take over the construction project here at home. The contractor we started with is a thief and we had a divorce. I got hooked up with a really great general who got us set up with his subs so the project went smoothly and my payment back to him was to replace the roof skin on his truck. And this fun stuff was during Covid time. Since I was having issues getting a job again, I got signed up for SS since I was old enough. Didn't want to but needed money coming in. Still dealing with the lawsuit/arbitration ordeal with the original contractor but we did win. JUST HAVE TO GET PAID NOW. Dirtbag is trying to get out of that by declaring bankruptcy. But all through this fun stuff, the MAN UPSTAIRS has been with us. Life is good!

Went to college for Forestry Management, worked 3 years for the Forest Service at Yellowstone Park and Gallatin Wilderness area. Came home for knee surgery. While recovering, was asked to come work in I.T.. Worked my up in I.T. and learned to manage data centers. Worked in I.T. since 1979 and retired in 2019. No regrets.

Having taken/participated in all manner of electrical and architectural classes in high school, I became a
proficient draftsman back in the late 70s. Won competitions in it and all that jazz and decided to study
architecture when I went on to college.

Well...parents then went through an ugly divorce and rather than take on huge college loan debt, I decided
to attend local college then transfer to a major later, working full-time in the interim so as to get away from
all the hell going down at home.

I took on summer apprenticeships with local architects and over time, one thing became clear - most of them
were pompous, arrogant pricks. Another thing that became clear was that they had no idea how a building
actually went together - they all fancied themselves artists and left the nuts and bolts stuff to their underlings,
whom they paid peanuts to do all the actual work.
So much for that career dream...

I was working in an auto repair shop on the side also when I decided it was time to get real, so I found a listing
in the Sunday Washington Post that just said "engineer" and "drafting experience" in it and went in to apply.
Turns out, it was for a fire sprinkler company - and the black hole of fire protection swallowed me up. :)
I have been in that field for over 40 years now.
I've "left" it more than once, only to be dragged back into it kicking and screaming each time; not because I
didn't like it, but rather because turns out there's some really crappy companies engaged in the business.
I imagine all subcontracting is similar, really.

Thing is, it took a long time for me to realize that I couldn't change any of them for the better unless I owned
the place - and I've had offers to partner up in such over the years - but I've seen what owning one of these
does to good and honest men and want no part of that.
That said, I've held every other position in fire sprinklers a man can do - and I know now that all I control is
how I approach the gig, so I've built the reputation of being not only the most experienced at it in this part
of the country, but the most honest at it as well.

In the end, my integrity in doing this life safety stuff is what's important, not which circus I'm working for.
I enjoy the heck out of the customers, I love getting people safer when they trust me to do so and while
having a good time at it, I take what I do dead seriously.
I will be gone one day in the near future and won't have regrets at what I did for a living, even if it winds
up being just He and I that remember it eventually.

I work as QA in tech, primarily software.
As a little kid in the 70s I was pretty much always into cars, electronics and pretty much anything technical. I just wanted to know how things worked and that led to sometimes understanding why something stopped working. I was dying to get on hands on a car but figured until I’m old enough I’ll keep busy with electronics and then in the early 80s my sister bought me a Commodore 64 and it was on.
I lived on that thing for a long time, from like 12 yrs old to around 22, at the time I resisted professionally working in the tech field or as a mechanic because I felt it would kill something I love. So I had a crazy string of jobs with the most significant being an extra for a few years on tv and movies, I quit that after getting injured doing a fight scene on Newsies.They decided to have extras who are not stunt trained do fight scenes, which was fun, until a horse next to me urinated oh the cobblestone road we were on, I slipped in it and landed knee first on the stone.
So next I became a security guard and did that job for wayyyyyyyy too long, but I won’t lie, it was fun at times. Also miserable other times!
At one site there was a nearby explosion that affected one of my ears for a little while and I had to ask myself wtf am I doing with my life and quit. Shortly after someone who I was helping with an intranet site at their company realized I should come on as a contractor and design the site.
In a place where it seemed hardly anyone delivered on time I made a point to always make my deadlines and do really detailed product requirements to make sure they knew what they want. Towards the end of the contract someone higher up the food chain asked me if I would want to come on full time as a QA, I had no real idea what a QA would do but that was a future me problem and I said yes. That started the whole QA adventure which started 24 years ago with many different companies.
I’ve tested everything from USB controllers when USB was a new thing to educational toys to video games to every bit of tech a music streaming service needs to financial software and services. I’m also all self taught other than a QA course in like 2000 followed by a basic Linux course which were a waste of the company’s money for what they actually taught.

I was a terrible student and a wild child. I was always angry, ready to burst at any time. It would be decades before I learned and understood about Asperger Syndrome and depression. Back then you were just labelled “bad”. Anyway…
I started drinking heavily at 12, drugs a few years later. Couldn’t seem to find myself. But a few people saw potential and some value in me. For example, my best friend has been so for just over fifty years now. He was the exact opposite of me as kids, he was a non drinker, no drugs Christian. My high school principal, who I caused much grief to still sends me a Christmas card and personal letter every year for over forty years.
I started working real jobs at 12, I always made good money even though I could piss it away as quick as I made it. When most kids my age were making twenty five or fifty cents a hour babysitting I got a job as a school janitor for $4.25. Then I was the school audio visual tech for ten bucks a hour when many adults were making that, or less. This was the mid seventies and I was in my mid teens. But I was smart enough at least to only spend the money I had, never was in debt and still am not. I married a smart, hard working wife who is wise with money and keeps me on the straight and narrow with it. We paid cash for two houses and buy all of our vehicles with cash.
I drifted from job to job and couldn’t seem to find my calling, so to speak. I got a job in the Alberta oil patch as a painter, and began to learn my trade. The Asperger’s gives me OCD and crazy attention to detail that makes me a good painter, and the best masking and prep person around. When I got married in ‘94 I moved back north and got a job as a drywaller and house painter. Again, the attention to detail and OCD about details makes me a top notch taper. I’m not the fastest, but my work is impeccable and people are willing to pay a premium for perfect work.
I got a job with the government and have been their school and prison painter for twenty three years. Affirmative action has made it very difficult and discouraging to work for the government as I am just another effing white guy in what is essentially a gigantic Indian reservation.
So this past year the hospital snapped me up. They are not governed by the same policies as the territorial government so they can hire a white guy, no problem. They literally thank me every day for working for them, and I couldn’t be happier. I still do a few side jobs but only the ones that appeal to me. Currently I’m the go to guy to paint lines in parking lots. Laying out the lines is not as simple as it seems but I have a knack for it and thus my services are in demand. I’m 64 this year, I have no intention of retiring. I enjoy what I do and I’m at that stage in life where I do pretty much what I want. I paint in the summer and go to our place in Mexico in the fall. I work a bit in the winter then go back to Mexico in the spring. I plan to keep doing this as long as I can.

I like doing physical labor and started working construction at 16 for a condo and apartment building contractor, then went to school and got a Construction Management Degree and ran construction projects of increasing complexity. I got a chance to work on some very interesting stuff including giant tunneling machines and rebuilding the drive systems in movable bridges. It was dream work for a gear head. As of 2019 I was leading a team managing $50M/year in construction and consulting on other projects outside of that (50-60+ hours a week).

And then I experienced (as Jules said), "a moment of clarity", and now I am a bum.

Last edited:
I ended up moving dirt because my dad did. He moved dirt because his dad did. I enjoy doing it.
Photo of me 30 years ago.

20240724_213423.jpg

Last edited:
Just bad luck. I started at the railway at 19 and was just going to stay with it until I found something better. It was interesting work but it destroys most components of a personal life you may have. After 30 years I ended it and don't miss it.

Along with the day to day work, at a manufactured home park[ higher end mobile homes] we lived in for 22 years, my wife and I operated the parks Turd Farm. AKA, sewer treatment plant. 8 years of that to help offset our space rent. 7 day a week deal, usually 1 hour a day for 6 and then 2-3 on last day. Several poo stories.

Auto Transport Service
Back