• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you end up doing what you do, or did, for a living?

Dad was USMC electronics tech for 25yrs, so naturally gravitated toward electronics. Built several Heathkits (anyone remember those?) in my formative years. Graduated from AZ State with BSEE. Despite graduating magna cum laude I had 2 job offers. Economy was crap in early 70s, several of my friends didn't receive any offers. One was in Wyoming, supporting conversion of Union Pacific trains from analog to digital control. Other offer in SOCAL working for DOD assessing Navy missile systems performance. Getting stranded during the job visit in Wyoming by a snowstorm made choice easier for this Arizona desert rat.

Traveled world wide to support deployed ships, at test ranges and sometimes embarked during an "open ocean" exercise. A gaggle of COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) flights and helo transfers, including several "dope on a rope" adventures - lowered by winch from a hovering helo to a ship while underway. Until arrival of the AEGIS ships in the 80s with an embarked helo, many destroyers had no helo platform. Also supported Allied Navy exercises, including German, Australian, Japanese ships. During an exercise, ships engage target drones with surface to air missile systems. Test missiles were configured with a telemetry system which monitored preselected missile parameters. We would process the telemetry from both the missile and drone, along with ship system data and evaluate the engagement. In the early days, analog ship fire control data would be recorded manually. As digital fire control systems became more prevalent, extensive ship systems data could be recorded and integrated into the analysis process. Did this for about 15yrs, then moved into management, supervising others doing this type of work. Retired 2010 after 37yrs.

Dad was USMC electronics tech for 25yrs, so naturally gravitated toward electronics. Built several Heathkits (anyone remember those?) in my formative years. Graduated from AZ State with BSEE. Despite graduating magna cum laude I had 2 job offers. Economy was crap in early 70s, several of my friends didn't receive any offers. One was in Wyoming, supporting conversion of Union Pacific trains from analog to digital control. Other offer in SOCAL working for DOD assessing Navy missile systems performance. Getting stranded during the job visit in Wyoming by a snowstorm made choice easier for this Arizona desert rat.

Traveled world wide to support deployed ships, at test ranges and sometimes embarked during an "open ocean" exercise. A gaggle of COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) flights and helo transfers, including several "dope on a rope" adventures - lowered by winch from a hovering helo to a ship while underway. Until arrival of the AEGIS ships in the 80s with an embarked helo, many destroyers had no helo platform. Also supported Allied Navy exercises, including German, Australian, Japanese ships. During an exercise, ships engage target drones with surface to air missile systems. Test missiles were configured with a telemetry system which monitored preselected missile parameters. We would process the telemetry from both the missile and drone, along with ship system data and evaluate the engagement. In the early days, analog ship fire control data would be recorded manually. As digital fire control systems became more prevalent, extensive ship systems data could be recorded and integrated into the analysis process. Did this for about 15yrs, then moved into management, supervising others doing this type of work. Retired 2010 after 37yrs.
Pretty interesting stuff. My dad was involved in aerospace stuff in the 60’s, I think it had to do with digital computers in flight control or something. He actually had to be flown onto a carrier during the Cuban missile crisis to repair a radar system.

My dad worked at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis and knew electronics. He would R&R radio and radar equipment in the aircraft. I remember going with my mom to pick him up sometimes and seeing the F-4 Phantom IIs and later, F-15s, parked on the flight line just inside the fence. No surprise that I developed an early interest in aircraft, particularly high performance military aircraft.

I started college at the local community College, partly because I wasn't certain what I wanted to do, but mostly so I could save money and work part time in a grocery store to pay my way thru school. Fortunately, the Univ. Of Missouri had set up an engineering curriculum at the comm. college and would accept the credits when/if you transferred. I started out in electrical engineering. Took my first circuits course in my 3rd semester and hated it so I knew I had to switch majors. I narrowed it down to a couple of other engineering disciplines and decided on aerospace.

I transferred to the Univ. as a Junior and completed my BS Aerospace Engineering degree. I enjoyed and focused my coursework on aerodynamics and propulsion which probably narrowed my job prospects somewhat. Hiring was a little slow at the time so I didn't have a job when I graduated. Thankfully it picked up that summer and I accepted an offer to work for Pratt & Whitney Government Engine Business in south Florida. I've been involved in the design of advanced jet engines for 5th generation fighters, rocket engines and missile propulsion, all on the technogy/product development side. Along the way, I completed an MBA and an MS Industrial Engineering.

I still work on the same campus, but the company name has changed a few times through divestitures and acquisitions. Aerospace is often boom or bust, but I've had a pretty good ride. I have moved around and up into engineering leadership positions. Learning new things keeps it interesting on top of what I think are some pretty cool projects and I've had the privilege of working with some truly brilliant people. I try to absorb as much as I can along the way and pass it on to the younger generations. I feel like I am on the tail end of the "old school" engineers who had the fortune of learning from a broad range of gray beards who had seen it/done it over multiple development cycles. Nowadays those cycles are fewer and farther between and most of the old timers have retired out so it's much harder for the young engineers to get the experience and mentoring they need. I'm hoping for 4-5 more good years before I hang it up.

Last edited:
When I was young, I took to my brothers erector set. I built all sorts of things. Then it was repairing broken toys and bicycles. Between the local Mobil gas station and the local blacksmith shop I asked a million questions. Im sure I was a big pain in the ***, but they put up with me. It just seemed like I naturally knew how things worked (if that makes sense) When I was 13 I put a timing chain in my dads Dodge van and rebuilt a carburetor for my Dads buddies' pickup. So naturally I went to Tech school. I started at a Ford dealer in 1983 working at two other Ford dealers till 1994 when the Hunter salesman told me about an opening for a service tech for Hunter Engineering. 30 years later here I am.

I spent 30 years working on semi trucks, trailers and refrigeration units. When the company was bought out I started looking for a new job and was offered a sales position by an independent parts and service provider in the trucking industry. I was able to put my years of knowledge and experience to good use and for the past 15 years I’ve made a comfortable living. July 2025 I’m tapping out and turning over my territory to a younger counterpart. It’s been a good run…

Auto Transport Service
Back