• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much fuel in tank for pickup to start flowing to carb 69 charger

Bricklayer58

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I’m putting fuel in my gas tank for first time in a long time since restoration began.
When I had tank out I coated the inside of tank with 2 cans of red-kote.
Fast forward today I put 3 1/2 gallons of fuel in tank is that enough for my fuel pickup in tank to start the process to get fuel from tank to carb.
Before I hooked up gas tank I was running out of a gas can through the fuel pump an it would start every time and stay running.
When I hooked up my gas tank with 3.5 of gas it started fine ran fuel out of carb and then quit running. I cranked For a good bit but no fuel up to pump. So would It be as easy as just put more gas in tank, or just keep priming carb to it starts flowing.
I just wanted to put as little as possible of gas in tank just trying to get systems up and running before I put gas in tank
Thanks Tom

Depends on of the pickup is positioned properly. I've done it w 1 gallon.

If I take the fuel line off at the tank Will the gas flow out with gravity or it just can’t unless it’s pulled out?
Thanks Tom

Just did this last wknd. I put 3 gals in the tank, then primed the carb. That bought me enough time for the pump to work on its own while the car ran on the carb prime/bowl. With that much gas in the tank, the gauge showed almost 1/8" of a tank.

It is interesting how you came up with 3.5 gallons, because that is the exact number I came up with on my 67 Barracuda tank. The B-body tank may be similar. With 3.5 gallons in the tank, the float is bottomed out (on Empty) and the suction tube is just above the level of the gasoline. Unless you modify the float and pickup tube, the last 3.5 gallons in tank is unusable.

BTW, when I say the float is bottomed out, it is not sitting on the bottom of tank. The sending unit design stops it from going any lower.

I always bend the pickup tubes a bit so that the strainer is gently touching the bottom of the tank. It's surprising how high some sit when new.

Added 2 more gallons of gas to tank hooked my little hand pump pulled it right through fuel line to carb.
Great solved my small problem not so fast I smell gas look on floor gas running out right behind pass.side door it appears sometime during restoration the fuel line got pinched enough to squirt gas on the garage floor now I have gas runnuig in to pan while I get tubing cutter, unhook fuel line from those tight clips that hold it on I cut the fuel line put a 3 inch piece of 5/16 hose on and 2 hose clamps
Temporary band aid. Maybe this weekend everything will just fall into place and no obstacles.
Anyway thanks for the help at least I got fuel to carb.
Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back