• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Tire Clearance is Required?

65CopCar

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
How much tire clearance do I need? I went from a M/T 10.5W x 31 to a Phoenix (PH101) 10.5W x 31 tire. The Phoenix section width is a little narrower but is a little taller even though both are rated at 99 inches. The Phoenix measure just over 100 inches circumference. Not really sure what the M/T were as I got conflicting numbers but I believe around 1/2 inch smaller on the diameter maybe 3/4" worst case. Know the M/T were rated for 1 1/2" growth at 150 mph don't know on the Phoenix. Never had a problem with this setup at 140 mph and the M/T tires, but now will be going 150 mph+ and the tire is taller.

Only this side is bad. I actually already cut this side once, clearly I should have done more.

It measures 3/4" clearance at the front. Is this enough? Do I need to bite the bullet and give it more clearance?

IMG_7752.JPG

How much tire clearance do I need? I went from a M/T 10.5W x 31 to a Phoenix (PH101) 10.5W x 31 tire. The Phoenix section width is a little narrower but is a little taller even though both are rated at 99 inches. The Phoenix measure just over 100 inches circumference. Not really sure what the M/T were as I got conflicting numbers but I believe around 1/2 inch smaller on the diameter maybe 3/4" worst case. Know the M/T were rated for 1 1/2" growth at 150 mph don't know on the Phoenix. Never had a problem with this setup at 140 mph and the M/T tires, but now will be going 150 mph+ and the tire is taller.

Only this side is bad. I actually already cut this side once, clearly I should have done more.

It measures 3/4" clearance at the front. Is this enough? Do I need to bite the bullet and give it more clearance?

View attachment 1740822
Fab some shims for the front spring hangers and carefully check transmission yoke depth. 1/4" may be all you need.
Mike

I'd say that might hit. That same tire has been on the car 12 years. On both a 10" rim and currently a 12" rim. Has 1 1/8" to the front lip at the closest point. It did rub slightly on the flat portion of the lip early on. Only took the paint off and polished the metal. Bent the lip in slightly to make it a perfect 90 degree angle to the outer 1/4 panel. Been good ever since.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back