• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How noticeable should the 2-3 shift be in regular driving.

OneWheelPeel

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
This is for what I’m pretty sure is a 904 behind a 318. I can’t feel the 2-3 shift in normal driving, I know it is going into 3rd based on pulling it into 2nd manually and that difference I felt. Just seems imperceptible compared to what I’m used to. Normal? Need a band adjustment?

It might be shifting to early right after the 1-2 shift. I would extend the throttle kick down rod and see what is does.

Pretty normal for light throttle, and not really a problem. Do you know what rear end gear ratio? That plays a role also. Highway gears can't feel it, 4.10's you know every shift.

Not feeling it is good in the that it doesn't have too much overlap.

The real question is how does it shift with a load on it, or wide open throttle?

2/3 shift is a band coming off and a clutch pack applying.

More throttle pressure won't hurt anything. As long as you can get WOT with the foot pedal.

Last edited:
Shift will feel a lot softer with a 2.76 gear than with a 3.91. Might be shifting too soon. Agree with adjusting kick down linkage longer.

Ok thanks for the input, I'll hold off on any band adjustment, it would be nice to go a weekend without crawling under the car anyway :p

I don't know the rear gear yet but pretty sure its not deep at all, next time I have the rear up I'll count the turns. I couldn't find a tag with any ratio info.

Can't answer on how it is with a load or at WOT. I've just putted around and its all level ground here, and if I get into it too aggressively there is a bad stumble, possibly a lean one. The accelerator pump works to some degree for sure but maybe not optimally. I've spent so much time on other issues that I have never even checked the timing or the carb adjustments, part of that is other than the stumble it starts and runs beautifully. Todays project will be to look at those things so I can get on it harder and see how the trans feels before making any adjustment, and then if needed I will lengthen the kickdown first.

Ok so made some changes and I can be more aggressive when I drive it now and I do feel the 2-3 shift. Its not super firm but I wasn't at WOT, I'll call it a win since I couldn't feel it at all before.

For those wondering what I changed:
I upped the timing from under 5 to around 10, I think I noticed a little ping at one point so I may play with it more. I have no problem just running premium.

The carb seems to have the early stages of a vac leak around the throttle shaft on the passenger side and the accel pump works but I only see one stream. I haven't touched one of these carbs since the mid 90s and can't remember nor find it in the manual, is it one nozzle aiming the stream between the two barrels or should it be two streams, one per barrel?

Either way I just want it to last until I do a 4bbl swap and its drivability it way better now.

Disagree that 'not feeling it is good & doesn't have too much overlap'. Soft, mushy shift is a sign of too much overlap, For long trans life, you want a distinct change changing gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back