• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunter TUNE-IN Balancer-- On the car

sam dupont

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
Had one of these at a Phillips 66 Station I worked at in High School. It balances everything, not just the wheel and tire.
Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 2.58.46 PM.png

I used the Hunters in the early seventies. Dangerous. Flying debris if not new tires, clean rims, loose wheel weights. OSHA was just getting started in those days. Lot of safety hazards in the repair shops back then.
Only semi good if the suspension had no slop in any components as the suspension was hanging loose when the tire/wheel was spinning.
Was really a high speed static balance as you could not really determine front and rear weight amount and location.
Also the balance was only good at a particular speed. People would ask for a 70 mph balance as an example.
But it was the state of the art before the electronic balancers came on the scene in the mid seventies.

Last edited:
Used one of those at the Montgomery Ward Auto Service back in the day.
Now you know how old I am.:(

Used one of those at the Montgomery Ward Auto Service back in the day.
Now you know how old I am.:(
Grandma used to call em...........Munkeyy Warts....................
Now U know hold EyeAm..............
PS:KernDawg.........Luvs The Grammar...........hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I remember a mechanic using that balancer on my first car that had a wheel that no one could balance. And it worked great!; I think the problem was that the brake drum was out of balance. So putting a balanced wheel on that drum always shook the car at highway speeds. Happy happy joy joy!

When I did my Charger, I spun the tires at a tremendous speed. Smooth as silk at 120 mph.

As I remember, the pusher motor, very big and powerful, spins at a very high speed. Then one holds a rough balance knob until the vibration goes away, then the fine balance knob. When the tire quits spinning, there is a pointer that shows where to mount the weight and how much to use.

That is the only way I could get a good vibration free ride in the 70's. I remember the guy that taught me, laying his hand on the fender with one finger in the air, and adjusting the knobs until there was absolutely no vibration. Now you know how old I am too.

Yep the finger. How I was taught.Did it the same way.

I still have the Tune in that I used at the first Ford dealer I worked at in 83. I have been a service rep for Hunter for 25 years now.
Finger on the drivers fender, antenna on the passenger side. I think I balanced the tires on 2/3s of the cars in that town. Everyone wanted them spun as fast as possible. I was told a balanced tire is balanced no matter how fast it was spun. We never spun them very fast because of the safety issues. They clamping device were known to come off of chrome wheels. The last time it came off the wheel, the dealership owner said toss that dam thing in the trash. I asked if I could have it so I kept it.

Pop had a '73 VW Bus that would only ride smooth if the on-car balancer was used on it.
Think it had a lot to do with a)bias ply tires and b)Pop buying the cheapest ones he could find. :)

The model I was taught on ( early 70's) had a strobe light that you shined on the valve stem to know at what spot to attach the balancing weights...... I can't remember, but it seems like there was a sensor you attached to the lower A arm too......

I have balanced lots of tires with that old balancer. it was fun but dangerous now that I think about it. :lol:

On the strobe balancer, you would watch the valve stem as a location during the flash. I have taught people to use the strobe, I use a chalk mark just for a better visible spot to see. There is a transducer that you put against the I beam or lower control arm to sense the vibration. Using a strobe is an art that is learned as you use it. Each person I have taught to use seams to add their own little enhancements to make it work for them. I learn so much from each person I work with and I get to share that with the new people I train.

I LOVE those.

Balances the drum or rotor as well.

Some could go in excess of 100 MPH.

Be sure to paint park the wheel center, lug stud and/or drum so it goes back on in the same orientation if removed.

Lee Hunter was a genuis..invented the first battery charger as well. The Kwickurent. Shame he committed suicide.

220px-Lee_Hunter_Jr._at_desk.jpg

Last edited:
Lee Hunter had cancer when he committed suicide. Yes he was a genius. The Kwickurent battery charger was a game changer, it was the first quick charge battery charger. I believe they sold for $300 in 1936. They company could hardly keep up with the demand.
I am proud that i have been able to represent this fine company for 25 years and hope for 10 more.

Auto Transport Service
Back