• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know B body forum but thinking about adding a C body to my collection.

condor74

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
The other day a guy at work offered to sell me a 1965 Chrysler Crown Imperial 4dr with a 413 big block in it. It is supposed to start and run and all chrome and trim are there...Minor scuffs on rear bumper and 1 small dent on one of the doors. It hasnt been driven in a long time but the engine was started and run a year ago. Trans didnt move but not sure about fluid level. Basically it is a running car that has been sitting for a very very long time. He said he would sell it to me for 800 dollars. I am sure it would need tires at the very least and everything else that goes bad after a car sits for a long time.

Is this car worth it. I have never been a big fan of 4 doors and usually muscle cars are more my thing but a nice cruiser might be fun. This particular 4dr also does not have a post when the windows are rolled down so it kinda gets a few points in my book for that.

I just thought I would get your guys opinions on it. Money is really tight now and I would have to work some deals to come up with the 800 but it also may be too good of a deal to pass up

So, you posted because you were looking for condolences or therapy?
Kidding, the Imps are cool cars. It's a deal for sure if it's all there and in good condition.
Plus, you can hum the Green Hornet theme while driving.

lol the Green Hornet thing did come to mind. I posted because honestly I have never desired a C body and was kinda wondering what the "cool factor" is on these cars. I know it is big. I know it is a 4dr. usually I stay away from cars with those descriptions. However on of my favorite non Mopar cars is a 65 Lincoln with the rear suicide doors. This car kinda reminds me of a Chrysler version of one of those. Also at a few recent car shows I attended I saw some nice Classic station wagons that I thought were cool.. I like the station wagons better than 4 door sedans. This car however is a 4 door hard top and kinda caught me by surprise. I didnt go looking for it. I probably would have never been looking for one but this one was offered up. It is one of the last of a breed, you know the 800 dollar running classic car. You dont see those very often anymore.

I'd jump on it too! After driving it a while you might become a C body fan....

It should be worth it. Like I said before "save it from the demolition derby!"

I'm a B and C guy... The B is expected to be a hot rod but the C can be a very nice sleeper! Actually my C gets a lot more looks, compliments and stares. It is fun during the summer to pull up next to a Smart car or a Mini and yell out the window, "I know how you can get better mileage out of that car!" When they say how, I say, "Just toss it in my trunk!". :icon_lol:

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 171
I'm a B and C guy... The B is expected to be a hot rod but the C can be a very nice sleeper! Actually my C gets a lot more looks, compliments and stares. It is fun during the summer to pull up next to a Smart car or a Mini and yell out the window, "I know how you can get better mileage out of that car!" When they say how, I say, "Just toss it in my trunk!". :icon_lol:
Very nice looking rides....

Very cool. Technically, the 65 Imperial isn't a C-body. The 67 Imperial was the first C-body Imperial.
These are very cool cars and since Elwood Engle was responsible for the styling on both the 64-66 Imperial and the 61 and up suicide doors Lincoln, they both do look very similar in styling. Personally, even without the Green Hornet movie being out right now, I have always liked these Imperials. They were so common on mid 60's TV shows and movies that I always think of old movies and TV shows when I see them. Painted black (like the 66 Imperial on the Pawn Stars TV show)they look very sinister. I too always look for convertibles, hardtops fastbacks and even wagons before I look at 4 door models, but in the case of the Imperial, I think the 4 door looks better than the 2 door. Adding that it is a hardtop body style rather than a post sedan like the Lincolns of those years gives the Imperial the styling edge in my opinion. I believe both the mid 60's Lincolns and Imperials were better looking than the Cadillacs of the same vintage.
The one thing that to me makes the 65 the most interesting of the 64-66 style Imperials, is the clear glass panels over the headlights. I also kind of like that its significance as the last of the 413 Imperials as well.

64-66 Imperials were the last Mopars to use body-on-frame construction.
Imperials were never intended to be high volume numbers car.
More expensive than a Cadillac or Lincoln,they never had the big production numbers.
They were so well built and over engineered to the point most derby sanctions ban them from entering.
That is one of the key reasons they tend to hold up through the years compared to Lincolns and Caddy's.Especially considering the reliable powertrain they have.
With the advent of the Green Hornet movie,even more of these luxo-sherman tanks have been destroyed.
Keep in mind not a whole lot interchanges with other Mopars.Most drivetrain parts do--but that's it.
Imps have their own wheel bolt pattern,front end parts,and interior electrical parts.

$800.00 is a steal for that car.
The car is worth more than that as it sits.
Worth fixing up since how often do you see one driving down the road?
Grab it it is worth it.

I am going to pick it up and I will post pics as soon as I get some. I am thinking since it runs, I will just clean it, change the fluids, new tires and inspect the brakes. If it needs other repairs I will make them as I go.

Condor74;sounds like a decent deal. Like the guys stated,Imps are uncommon,built like they're mil-spec,and you can fill all that space with Hooters girls!

Just a suggestion...

I also think they'd be a cool tow vehicle for a hot B-Body.

I'd buy it for that price and clean it up a bit, drive it for a bit and if you get tired of it I'd bet you could at least get back what you have in it if you don't go overboard.

I generally as a rule dont buy cars with plans to sell...I buy them for my own enjoyment. I do like to know value if for no other reason then it is fun to have a desireable car. If I do decide that it is not for me it is also comforting to know that I would not lose too much on it. I also not one of those guys who has delusions that think every old car should bring in the same kind of coin that they do on Barret Jackson. I dont think valuing the car at 2000 if it was running and cleaned up should be to hard. If it is really clean with new paint, perfect interior, and healthy drivetrain and brakes, I am thinking it would be valued between 5 and 8 k. I may be way off on this. What do you think? I am still trying to get over there to check it out in person so there are alot of ifs in this discussion. I am pretty excited about it already though and will most likely be buying it assuming it is not a complete basket case.

I own-and owned-4 door hardtops C bodies.
I love them for the style when the windows are down.Also the flow of air with the windows down is like a convertible--without the buffeting and messed up hair,LOL!!
Kids today think it is cool not to have door posts.

Auto Transport Service
Back