• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idiots with Chargers

I wonder what's worse: Guys like this, buying project cars and doing what-not to them and driving them & bashing them...or guys who hoard project cars and let them rust away in fields or barns for decades, where the cars will never have a chance at restoration?

My opinion is, if you bought it, you own it, and do wtf you want with it. It's not my business. At least there's enthusiasts and communities like this where we have enough people that want to restore and mod these cars and bring them back to life in a respectful way.
I gave this 71 Charger away last weekend, rather than let it sit outside for years until I get around to doing something with it, or cutting it up. He vows that it will be running and ready to go to Carlisle next July!

20240908_095934.jpg

20240908_095909.jpg

I am fortunate to have one for every occasion. My 12' Challenger is my daily driver. My Red 70' Charger is my more original cruiser, almost driven daily all summer. My 70' Challenger is another cruiser and race car. My 70' Roached Runner is for the rad rod/patina crowd. Everyone like different cars for different reasons.

Late to the thread, my mistake I thought it was about the young ones tearing up the newer one cause they don’t know how to drive
1726305912626.jpeg

I think the days of the boring ole stock restorations is about over. If this hobby is going to continue. The next generation will come up with there own ways of enjoying these cars. Museums, sitting in owners garages and in and out of enclosed trailers to shows because it is restored to perfection is what puts this cars into the price ranges no one can afford.
Hacking them up and beating on them is what the younger generation wants to do with them. We all did it when we were younger. We just did it when they were just used cars. Not collector cars.
For some that may be true, but for the purest who wants the look, feel, smell, and sounds of a true classic autombile (myself included) there is no reason to change it up. Agreed that is the way the hobby seems to be moving, but to say stock restorations are about over would be an overstatement.

Enjoy "your" car whatever way you want, it's your decision. Be happy.

I gave this 71 Charger away last weekend, rather than let it sit outside for years until I get around to doing something with it, or cutting it up. He vows that it will be running and ready to go to Carlisle next July!

View attachment 1726159

View attachment 1726160
Awesome, that'll do more to preserve our hobby than letting it sit and rot. Very generous of you!

We were at Carlisle,and my friends son was telling me that after walking around and looking at the prices of cars and parts,that a Mopar project car wasn't in the cards for him. After a few Killians,I decided to give him the 71 Charger I had sitting in the yard. He gets a car,wife sees it leave,win win! Now he is a Charger idiot too!

It could happen,but I gave it to him,to do as he pleases with it. I was considering cutting it up for parts.

Watch him turn around and sell it. I see it all the time.
:thumbsup:
As long as there's people that have a place in their heart for special cool cars... there will be lumps of **** trying to cash in on that passion.

the 1st video is an idiot, he can do what he wants, but it's just dumb

my/our generation day 2'd these cars
very few of them were left 100% stock
many were tastefully done,
some not so much
& most were $350- $1500 cars back then too, even cherry all OE cars
they were just unwanted old cars, gas guzzlers,
some even called them junkers
many were scrapped...

I passed up on a 68 Dart with a 426 Hemi transplant done very well
because it was $5k, that was out of the world price...
I could buy 3) 68-70 RRs or 3) 68-70 Charger R/Ts for that

I was saving them, putting them back on the road, some 33-ish) 68-71 Mopars/cars
mostly 12) 68-70 Charger R/Ts & on my 13th) RRs, a few Dusters & Demons,
a 68 Barracuda (I inherited from an uncle already day 2'd)
even more GM Camaros/Fierbird-Formulas & Trans Ams/Olds 442 64 & 65
a few Early Fords/coupes hot rods/Altereds,
some 66-67 Fairlanes, 65-70 Torino GT/Galaxies
& some 15-ish (?) older W100 or W150 or W200 Power Wagons
& diesel Power Rams trucks from 1965-98, before I got my 99 Dakota 4x4
318-440s to 479-535cid stockish to full built
w/a727 hi-stall converters to 833 4 speeds, some Dana's some 8-3/4"
usually rear gears were changed too, I had a collection of them
& probably another dozen-ish GMC/Chevy pickups from 1955-94
they were cheap...
Maybe not 100% original or rarely ever 100% stock,
unless it was extremely rare, even then they were rarely ever 100% stock
or trailer queens/garage dwellers...

then I (most of US) even still did usually;
New wider wheels & tires, I pref. Crager S/S or Halibrand Polished Slots,
1st thing we ditched was the steelies/hubcaps
added headers, an alum intake & Holley carb, usually a camshaft at min.
maybe added sway bars &/or better gas shocks for a handling car,
maybe old Lakewood traction bars, like 99% of my generation all did
out here anyway
class of 77' baby

but doing it to wreck them is just stupid
I read (red) an article a lot of years ago that most movie/show producers patched beat up cars to make them look good on film because most car movies weren't high budget enough to crash the 'good' ones once they got harder to find. Still, some did crash good ones because they were on a 'budget time line' to get the show produced. Never did like the 'Pukes of Hazard' because they trashed so many Chargers but, did like watching the show.
I am fortunate to have one for every occasion. My 12' Challenger is my daily driver. My Red 70' Charger is my more original cruiser, almost driven daily all summer. My 70' Challenger is another cruiser and race car. My 70' Roached Runner is for the rad rod/patina crowd. Everyone like different cars for different reasons.
Dang, I rarely drive my 'daily drivers' daily these days. Well, with 3 daily drivers is probably why they are all low mileage lol
Late to the thread, my mistake I thought it was about the young ones tearing up the newer one cause they don’t know how to drive
View attachment 1726305
Did someone with a 64 Dart run into you!? Hope that isn't your smashed up car:lol:
I know of a few guys who couldn't handle 335 horses in a stock 383 Road Runner on the street, and wrapped them around utility poles.
I know of a couple of high school guys that did stuff like that.....too much speed for the road they were on.....heck, I even spun out my 1st car one day after messing around at a fairly slow speed! Luckily, only bent a rim and I practiced car control on a huge wet parking lot many times not to mention doing spins on the beach with my sister's 65 Mudstain before I got my Belvedere. Maybe I should have practiced more on dry pavement!?
How many Chargers can one idiot own?

View attachment 1726596
I don't call that being an idiot!!!

We were at Carlisle,and my friends son was telling me that after walking around and looking at the prices of cars and parts,that a Mopar project car wasn't in the cards for him. After a few Killians,I decided to give him the 71 Charger I had sitting in the yard. He gets a car,wife sees it leave,win win! Now he is a Charger idiot too!
I think you missed the point of this tread, not because you own a lot of chargers make you an idiot, destroy a car for likes and the lack of common sense is my point, not hoarding cars and have a lot of projects like you, make you and idiot, if I offended you I apologize, but you are not a young man looking for likes in social media, you, politely give your friend a charger because you know the car is now in better hands, also you restore cars to preserve them not to prove others that you can destroy them just because you can.

I can't watch those types of channels. And there are a lot of them actually. The worst one is a guy that has stupid money dumped into modern trucks, mostly deisels and he simply makes videos of him trashing on them until it breaks. On purpose. He pays for the repairs with the video money. Which whatever, but he also goes out of his way to find classics like old Broncos or Power Wagons and then smashes them until the body is destroyed and the frames are bent.

Thing is, this is America. So they are completely in the right to do that.
Thing is, I grew up poor AF. My Grandparents grew up in the depression and lived that way, and my parents basically learned from them. So we saved things in my house, because we were poor farmers and two generations of placing value on things because you didn't know when another would come around left an impression on me to.

So they are entitled to smash whatever they want. I can't watch it, it is so against my personality and beliefs on how to be a steward of things it makes me uncomfortable to think about it. I am not the type to put things in a climate controlled bubble and that type of over the top BS, because you can't take it with you! But willfully blowing stuff up just to make money from idiots with no passion for the subject at hand is a whole different level.

Auto Transport Service
Back