• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm stuck.. please help

crandall

Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
1963 Plymouth Belvedere.. I put in a 1967 440 b body k frame and a 1967 440, I'm having trouble with the transmission crossmember. the engine and tranny sit about 3/4 of an inch back.. does anyone have an answer for this problem.. If I bought a 67 b body crossmember would it work the same?

The 67 B body trans crossmember won't bolt up to your 63's floor. Best bet would be to modify the mounting locations of your existing 63 x-member to locate the mounting holes 3/4" back.

One thing too... are your motor mounts installed on the correct side of the block's mounting ears? They plates should be on the rear of the ears as seen here. Maybe something to check.

Attachments

• 112_1239.jpg
    112_1239.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 328
Are the heads against the firewall and the bellhousing against the floor, too?

The 67' K member is your issue. It is different than a 62-65. The 67 sits back further. If you use a newer stlye 727 (66+) you will also need to get the Schumacher trans mount.

I would look to see if you could get a 62-65 V-8 K member and Schumacher trans mount then it will fall right into place. You can make the other fit though.

Heck, you now have the engine set back for traction....
I would simply cut the pocket off the cross member modify it and weld it back on.
Little things like that I wouldn't sweat...... Guys cut, re design, weld, fabricate things much more complex....

Thats an old drag racing modification from way back, it moves your weight just a little further back. Find the correct early style cross member and get the mount from Schumaker...$81.00 plus shipping.

Yep alot of guys still do that with the early B's. The 66 and up K-frame will move the eng back about 3/4" or so and it will help get weight closer to the rear wheels. When tires were crappy in the 60's you needed to do all you could to help it hook. But today the tires are much better and you dont really have to do it. I did not move my eng back in my 63 as I left the stock K-frame in it. I figured if the car hooks good I wont fool with it and it hooks great.
I know Imperial Service makes an offset trans mount that lets you put a newer 727 ( 67 and up) in the 62 to 65's and bolt right in. You might call them and see if they have a mount that will work for you. If not you may have to do like others here said. I use a 70 auto 727 in my 63 and I just bought the offset trans mount from Imperial Service so the 1970 auto trans will bolt right up in my 63. So maybe they make a mount that woill work when the newer K-frame is put in the older B-body. I mean alot of guys do what you did so I would give them a sall. Good luck , Ron

'66-up k member in a '62-'65 does create some unwanted headaches, clearance issues, header selection, and your trans mount problem.

Go back to the correct k-frame and get the mounts from Schumacher. They also sell a conversion trans mount to use the later style 727 transmission, kicks the tailshaft up a few degrees.

Auto Transport Service
Back