• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Improved big block valley pan?

bigbluedodge

Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
I developed an oil leak a few weeks ago on my Charger (499 cu in., .620 lift flat tappet cam, 906 heads) and it turned out the valley pan gasket had cracked. It had seen a lot of passes so I just replaced it. The new one cracked in one race (10 passes). Seems like one of the valves on my headers failed. Anyway, I ordered a another new valley pan and this time got one that's heavier and seems to be plated. The part number was MS960007 I think. I don't remember the number of the first one.

Anybody know anything about the heavier gasket?

Thanks
Bryand

Is that a Fel-Pro number? A block of soft/sponge rubber will absorb those crack causing harmonics. Wrap it like the factory did with the fiberglass batt. I cannot address the difference in gaskets though.
Mike

I threw in an extra 0, sorry. But thanks for the tip on the damping.

Bryand
It's just the standard replacement pan. The felpro 1214 is the same with blocked exhaust ports.

I developed an oil leak a few weeks ago on my Charger (499 cu in., .620 lift flat tappet cam, 906 heads) and it turned out the valley pan gasket had cracked. It had seen a lot of passes so I just replaced it. The new one cracked in one race (10 passes). Seems like one of the valves on my headers failed. Anyway, I ordered a another new valley pan and this time got one that's heavier and seems to be plated. The part number was MS960007 I think. I don't remember the number of the first one.

Thanks
Bryand
I wanted to pm you on your motor build

Thanks
Bryand
I was wanting to ask you some questions about your motor setup. Please pm me

Thanks
Bryand
If your using header evac and a valve fails, it will crack the stock type valley pans. I don't know if the metal thickness is different?
I usually use the Fel-Pro 1214/1215 without the exhaust crossover cutout.

If your using header evac and a valve fails, it will crack the stock type valley pans. I don't know if the metal thickness is different?
I'll be happy if that's the problem. I was worried because the engine has plenty of runs on it but runs the number and all signs are good.......except cracking the valley pan. I'ss
I'll be happy if that's the problem. A friend at the track suggested that may be the trouble. I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks
Bryand

I made this quit a few years ago to eliminate the valley pan gasket with iron heads. it works.

20240830_114926.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back