• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

installing 5.7 Hemi lifters....

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Hey there....
Last year, I bought this replacement engine for my high mile truck:

H 1.jpg

Why? Well....

999AA.JPG

I had the long block checked out. The heads were rebuilt but the bottom end was fine as-is so I'm leaving it alone. I pulled the lifters and set them aside.....then one rack of 4 fell out of a box and came out of the cage they were in.
We all know that when you reuse a flat tappet hydraulic or solid cam, the flat tappet lifters have to be reinstalled in the same holes as before so they are mated to the same cam lobes. Roller cams don't have that same issue from what I am told.
I'm curious though....If the cam looks okay and the lifters are fine, am I really okay to put them all back in regardless of what hole they are in? I know the MDS requires the lifters to be in proper sequence as evident by this picture:

1720505757070.jpeg

Cam failures usually mean a complete teardown of an engine to get all the crap out of it all. I need to know I'll be safe.
Is it fair to think that as long as the MDS lifters are in the MDS location that there won't be a problem if the lifters now ride on different cam lobes?
1720506175539.png

Hey there....
Last year, I bought this replacement engine for my high mile truck:

View attachment 1691615

Why? Well....

View attachment 1691616

I had the long block checked out. The heads were rebuilt but the bottom end was fine as-is so I'm leaving it alone. I pulled the lifters and set them aside.....then one rack of 4 fell out of a box and came out of the cage they were in.
We all know that when you reuse a flat tappet hydraulic or solid cam, the flat tappet lifters have to be reinstalled in the same holes as before so they are mated to the same cam lobes. Roller cams don't have that same issue from what I am told.
I'm curious though....If the cam looks okay and the lifters are fine, am I really okay to put them all back in regardless of what hole they are in? I know the MDS requires the lifters to be in proper sequence as evident by this picture:

View attachment 1691627

Cam failures usually mean a complete teardown of an engine to get all the crap out of it all. I need to know I'll be safe.
Is it fair to think that as long as the MDS lifters are in the MDS location that there won't be a problem if the lifters now ride on different cam lobes?
View attachment 1691640
If the are free in their bores I can't imagine them not living. When a cam is replaced the lifters are reused.
Mike

If the are free in their bores I can't imagine them not living. When a cam is replaced the lifters are reused.
Mike
Not sure where you got that gem from. If a cam gets replaced (flat or roller), the lifters get replaced too. Just because they are roller lifters doesn't mean they don't break-in to a lobe, they do. Most manufacturers will void any warranty if the lifters aren't replaced also.

Kern, I would put 4 new lifters in to be safe, unless you want to possibly do the job twice...

I've been watching some gen3 lifter vids on the tube lately. Lifter tick, lifter/cam failure etc. It looks like, so far, the cure is putting a high volume oil pump on. One guy out of Texas, ex dealer heavy line tech, has his own channel. Very informative.

I would say now is the perfect time to put a new cam/lifters into that engine but at a minimum put a new oil pump into it. As noted above on the channel called "Reignited" (was in TX now back in OR) Sky (actually the guy's name) is a certified Mopar tech and he explored the issue of the failing lifers. His determination (via several videos) is that that the stock 5.7 oil pump is inadequate also he felt that there were some QA issues with some of the stock parts.

If the engine is an Eagle (09 up) it uses Mopar 68195993AD, if it is an earlier engine it would use a Melling unit (google it for the PN). They run about $150 and is cheap insurance.

Flirting. With disaster on this lifter rearrangement.
Don't do it, or do it over again.

Or do it and see what happens!

Install in the correct mds positions and send it.

Get the Dremel out and cut a single groove above the roller, Gen3 cam/lifter problem solved.

Not sure where you got that gem from. If a cam gets replaced (flat or roller), the lifters get replaced too. Just because they are roller lifters doesn't mean they don't break-in to a lobe, they do. Most manufacturers will void any warranty if the lifters aren't replaced also.
Do I need new lifters when I change my camshaft? · Help Center.
Mike
Kern, I would put 4 new lifters in to be safe, unless you want to possibly do the job twice...

Auto Transport Service
Back