• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing floor shifter on 65 Belvedere

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
I am about to start putting an original 65 shifter in my Belvedere (currently a column shift car) and was wondering if anyone else has done this? I would really appreciate any advice regarding measurements before cutting the floor, pictures, etc... Thanks!!

I had a 65 and did the same thing. Hurst made 1 but I'm not sure if they still do. I was in school and and didn't have much money so this is what I did. Take seats out and leave your front carpet loose. Mount trans with shifter arms. Use a long punch and mark floor where the shifter will go through. Then from top side, Drill a 1/4 inch hole through floor. I'm not really sure what size hole I wound up with, but I used the boot and ring as a guide and then keep removing just enough to have clearance for shifter. With shifter mounted, I got 2 sheets of poster paper. I used the 1st one to mark, cut, bend, until I thought I had it so it would work(be sure to leave 1 inch all around so you can bend a 1 inch edge at 90 degrees so you will have something to mount it with). I then traced it to the 2nd sheet and cut it out. Then I bent it and did a little more until I had it right. Then I took 1/2 of a 50 Chevy hood( so I guess Chevys are good for something) traced the 2nd sheet on the hood and cut it out with an air chisel. Then I used a vice and 1x4 to bend it to shape and then had it welded. I used a ball peen hammer to make sure it matched the floor contour. I used 1 inch calking strips and collared self tapping sheet metal screws to mount. If you made it as low as possible and as small as possible, you should be able to remove the jute backing around the hump, and stretch your same carpet down, put your seats in and bang some gears. This might sound odd, but it worked on my 65 in 65. Hope this helps.

mis read on my part thought he was going 4 speed

Last edited:
Just to confirm, This is an automatic column shift car going to an original floor/console shifter, not a 4spd.

There should be 2 indents on the top of the floor pan up near the seam! Factory location for the cables to go thru. Install the cables into the trans. and run them up to the interior, Attach the shifter to the cables and then mark the shifter bracket then weld the bracket in! Are you going to use the console? I'm asking because the cables are partially exposed with out it! Hope this helps!

There should be one elongated dentoutline, the rubber grommet is a one piece with 2 holes in it for the cables?

Yes...I got it that you put in a 4 speed - but interesting read on how you carried it out! Thanks again! anything helps!

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect!! I did not realize the indents were there. And, I agree with your process. Thanks! No console this year - just an after market cover. I am looking for a console.... Not many around up here in Canada! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!! I am pulling the carpet back tomorrow to check...

I had a 64 coupe that I built. Enjoyed it but sold it 15-20 years ago. I bought a 65 Belvedere 11 in 65. Realy loved that car. 4 or 5 years ago, I started looking for one butnever could find one. About 2 years ago I saw a 65 Satellite on e-bay. It didn't sell so we were going to Texas anyway so we went through Little Rock, liked it, bought it and drove it to Texas and then back home. Its a really good car. Burgendy with black interior, 440, and 727. I guess I'm living my 2nd childhood.

Auto Transport Service
Back