• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Headlight Relays Lessons Learned

Bruzilla

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I just finished upgrading the headlights on my 74 Road Runner so they run off relays. The parts list was:

- Two 30 AMP Bosch relays ($20 off ebay)
- 12 feet of 12 gauge red wire ($6.99 at Autozone)
- 12 feet of 12 gauge green wire ($6.99 at Autozone)
- 25 feet of 14 gauge white wire ($4.99 at Autozone)
- Four feet of 14 gauge black wire (out of the spares box)
- 10-12 gauge and 14-16 gauge wire connectors (out of the spares box)
- One roll of electrical tape

Before making this modification, read this site: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html. Most of what I did is spelled out here, but there were some challenges I came across that aren't mentioned on the site.

There are two different relays you can use. One has 87 (headlight power output) and 87a connections and the other has 87 and 87b connections. The 87a connection is open when the 87 connection is closed and closed when the 87 is open. The 87b connection opens and closes with the 87. So if you want to have separate power lines going to the left and right lines, you need relays with the 87 and 87b connectors. You can use the ones with the 87 and 87a connectors, but you'll be running one wire from the 87 connector to both side's lights.

When you order the relays (or buy them at the store), be sure to get plug connectors for them. The relays just have blades on them, and you can connect each wire individually, but the plugs make for a more secure and environment-proof connection, and it looks more professional.

The wiring diagrams for 1974 B bodies show red wire for the high beams and violet for the low beams, but my car had red for the high beams and violet with white stripe for the lows.

As per the Daniel Stern instructions, I also replaced the ground wires. After I did, I found my front marker lights no longer worked since they shared the same ground wire as the headlights. I spliced the ground wires (black) from the marker lights into the new ground wires for the headlights and the markers came back on.

Check all the connections on your alternator when hooking up the main power wires to the relays. I found lots of issues with the wiring to the alternator and their connections, and had to redo those.

I sliced through the old tape on the original headlight wiring harness. There will be four wires in there: red, violet/white, black/yellow, and black. The black/yellow is the power wire for the passenger side marker light, so leave that one alone. The red, violet/white, and black wires can all be removed once you've run the new wiring.

got a before and after of the headlights lit?

Last edited:
couldnt you have just unplugged the old ones and put halogens in their place and get the same effect? im a bit confused with all the relays and such.

I think the relays eliminate the major draw from the headlights passing through the light switch.

This setup causes only enough juice to activate the relays to go through the switch, then the relays handle the big current draw from the lights.

Basically, what this mod is for is to get alternator voltage at the headlights and unload the headlight switch. I did the whole Stern kit on my 08 Jeep Wrangler and I had retina burners when I was done. I did use the Cibie E code lamp conversion.....which is not legal in the US, but I don't think the headlight police will trouble you.

couldnt you have just unplugged the old ones and put halogens in their place and get the same effect? im a bit confused with all the relays and such.

YY1 is right. :) I was going to replace the stock lamps with those new light housings that take modern lamps, but I was told if you don't upgrade the wiring, the lamps won't work as well and might fry out the wiring harness. The problem is that Chrysler used the cheapest wire possible to wire these cars, and used a lot of it. The higher the wire gauge is, and the longer the distance it has to travel is, the lower the voltage at the light is going to be. A relay is just an electronic switch. It has two power inputs: one for the main power used to drive something, and an input that's just used to close the switch (only uses about 200 ma). So when you turn the headlights on, what you're actually doing is just turning on the relay, and the relay routes the high-voltage current where it needs to go.

Adding the relays does two things. First, instead of voltage going from the alternator, to the battery, to the fuseblock, to the switch, then all the way back out to the headlights, the voltage goes from the alternator to the relays that are only about 8" away, and then to the headlights. So the travel distance is greatly reduced. Also, all the current is flowing through 12 gauge wire instead of the brittle old stock wire, which is like 18 gauge, which enables more current to reach the lights. And I have to tell you, even with old 5001/5006 lights in there, the difference is nothing short of amazing! I would guess I have about twice as much light coming off the lights now.

So the benefits are first that you can increase the amount of voltage getting to the lamps, and the amount of light produced is based on the amount of volts that go through the light. Second, the high-demand current for the lights is replaced by a 200 ma draw for the relays, which greatly lessons the strain on the car's electrical system and reduces the potential of fire or other failure. Now I can install my new light housings and see even better thanks to the increased voltage at the plugs and not have to worry about frying the harness. :)

Good thread! Grabbing a lot of ideas for a similar conversion i'll be doing here shortly. Thanks.

The only thing I found troublesome was the way the stock wiring is run. The way the Stern diagrams show it, you have a primary wire and connections going off from it to the lights. The way the wiring actually runs for the low beams is first to the driver's low beam. The plug has both an input and output wire. The output wire goes over to the low-beam light on the passenger side. For the high beams, the wire runs to the driver's side low beam plug, then comes back out and runs to the high beam plug, then comes back out to the passenger side high beam, then back out again and terminates at the passenger side low beam light.

It was kind of confusing at first because you pull the lamps and check the plugs and you see three connections but five wires. :)

Here is a simple diagram. headlight-relays.gif.

Small side note for those with modern day sound systems in there older cars, when installing any relays for any purpose that will operate while the sound system is in operation, be sure to add diodes across the primary connections as shown below to kill induced electrical noise. Otherwise popping sounds can be picked up by low level audio circuits.
Diodes_zpsf0e4f36e.jpg

DSC09045_zpsda08e8a7.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back