• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Sail Panels, Legendary, 72 RR Question

Slant 6 Music

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
About 2 or 3 years ago at most, I bought Sail panels for my 71 GTX from Legendary. They were completely finished and all you had to do was snap them into place. I believe there was just 2 fasteners that went back in.

Fast forward to now. I bought a set for my 72 RR. With the perforated material. I was shocked at how flimsy the "cardboard" was. Like picture frame material. But what threw me off was the excess material around the "cardboard" that was not glued or stapled etc., to it.

I called Legendary and the rep told me that you fold over the top part and glue it and the rest of it tucks under trim etc. Also, they provide velcro squares to fasten to the sheet metal. The Rep told me that they have always made it this way. I do not remember having to do anything in the past regarding gluing material and tucking it under trim, nor was there any velcro provided. Also, the other sail panels I got were nowhere as flimsy as this cheap junk.

My question is whether anyone else has bought sail panels for 71-72 and remember whether the construction of these has changed. The rep said there is no difference between the 71-72, which I would expect as well. Either he is not correct, they have changed the formula, or I've lost my mind.

Yes, I know I can just do my own material over existing cardboard. The ones that came in the car when I bought it were an attempt to do this but they lumped up the glue and it needs to redone. I was just wondering if I potentially somehow ordered the wrong product. When I bought them before, they came in a cardboard box direct from Legendary. I bought these from Classic and they are just loose in a big baggy.

Any chance that they produced different for Classic? I'll probably just send these back. Thanks for any info.

I bought the same sail panels for my 71 Runner.
Dec 23rd (1).jpg

I bought mine from Classic Industries and when the package arrived look at where they actually came from...
Dec 23rd (2).jpg

I used a packing tape with the reinforcement strands and taped the excess material to the backside.
I did glue down the Velcro with construction glue.
Dec 26th (1).jpg

Here's what it looks like installed.
Dec 26th (2).jpg

Flimsy?? yes, I would say they were, but I don't think you can get any better ones.

Thanks for the reply and pics. Yes, mind have that label as well, but when I bought them previously, direct from Legendary, they came in their own nice box. There is no way I had to cut reliefs and glue stuff down in the other set I bought a few years ago.

I bought the same sail panels for my 71 Runner.
View attachment 1724138
I bought mine from Classic Industries and when the package arrived look at where they actually came from...
View attachment 1724139
I used a packing tape with the reinforcement strands and taped the excess material to the backside.
I did glue down the Velcro with construction glue.
View attachment 1724140
Here's what it looks like installed.
View attachment 1724141
Flimsy?? yes, I would say they were, but I don't think you can get any better ones.
Classic looks so flimsy

Thanks for the reply and pics. Yes, mind have that label as well, but when I bought them previously, direct from Legendary, they came in their own nice box. There is no way I had to cut reliefs and glue stuff down in the other set I bought a few years ago.

They are incredibly flimsy for close to $100. Anyone out there know of any better source?

About 2 or 3 years ago at most, I bought Sail panels for my 71 GTX from Legendary. They were completely finished and all you had to do was snap them into place. I believe there was just 2 fasteners that went back in.

Fast forward to now. I bought a set for my 72 RR. With the perforated material. I was shocked at how flimsy the "cardboard" was. Like picture frame material. But what threw me off was the excess material around the "cardboard" that was not glued or stapled etc., to it.

I called Legendary and the rep told me that you fold over the top part and glue it and the rest of it tucks under trim etc. Also, they provide velcro squares to fasten to the sheet metal. The Rep told me that they have always made it this way. I do not remember having to do anything in the past regarding gluing material and tucking it under trim, nor was there any velcro provided. Also, the other sail panels I got were nowhere as flimsy as this cheap junk.

My question is whether anyone else has bought sail panels for 71-72 and remember whether the construction of these has changed. The rep said there is no difference between the 71-72, which I would expect as well. Either he is not correct, they have changed the formula, or I've lost my mind.

Yes, I know I can just do my own material over existing cardboard. The ones that came in the car when I bought it were an attempt to do this but they lumped up the glue and it needs to redone. I was just wondering if I potentially somehow ordered the wrong product. When I bought them before, they came in a cardboard box direct from Legendary. I bought these from Classic and they are just loose in a big baggy.

Any chance that they produced different for Classic? I'll probably just send these back. Thanks for any info.
Thanks for this post, I was going to order sail panels from CI as Scarlet Sues have stains. I think I’ll shop elsewhere for them.

Auto Transport Service
Back