• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to bring these rims back to life or are they too far gone?

tonyp25

Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score
These are on my 67’ Satellite. I’ve been looking for a nice set of cragers but until then I’d like to see if I could get these to shine up a bit. I haven’t had much luck with my usual mother’s mag and aluminum polish. Just wondering if I’m wasting my time.

IMG_9175.jpeg

IMG_9176.jpeg

AutoSol is a great polish. They don't look bad from here

Could media blast. Will change the look but you can get them consistent looking again

Many wheels can be reconditioned to like new. If you're willing to spend the $$$.

If it has gotten under the clear coat it's hard to correct. I had an old set of Centerline Autodrags with this problem - I chucked them up and spun them with sandpaper down to the metal to give them back their brushed look. Not like new, but better.

Yes, they need sanding then a proper polish. You should see the aluminum truck wheels after a winter in the salt. The guys bring them back to look like new.

Wheel reconditioning is a major industry in the automotive world these days. There are multiple sources to utilize to restore wheels.

Start with a cleasnser like
Comet. With a wet rag and a
bucket of clean water.
Sprinkle some powder on
the rag and hose the wheel
down. Work the comet
around the rim until you
feel the rough spots
smoothing out. Don't let
the Comet become dry.
You'll know this when it
starts to drag.
Once smoothed out, rinse
well and dry.
Next, use #0000 steel wool
and a light oil. Sewing
machine oil works well.
Polish with the steel wool
& oil to bring out the shine.
Wipe down with some
laquer thinner. Spray the
rim with a clear ment for
wheels.
Though this may sound
old school, with a little
effort they should shine up
pretty good. This method
works well for pitted
chrome also.
For those with whitewall
tires, the Comet makes
the white vivid. Just gotta
make sure it stays wet while scrubbing.
(with a brush)
The black of the tire will
take on a clean natural
look without the use of any
tire dressings.
photo.JPG
These wheels are over 30 years old.

Last edited:
If it has gotten under the clear coat it's hard to correct. I had an old set of Centerline Autodrags with this problem - I chucked them up and spun them with sandpaper down to the metal to give them back their brushed look. Not like new, but better.
I have a set of mags with corrosion under the clear coat. I found that paint stripper easily removes the clear finish, leaving straight aluminum that polishes up nicely.

I have a set of mags with corrosion under the clear coat. I found that paint stripper easily removes the clear finish, leaving straight aluminum that polishes up nicely.
Prefering to stay away from
the harsh chemicals, this is
what cleanser and steel
wool accomplish.
Elbow grease is a lost art.

Prefering to stay away from
the harsh chemicals, this is
what cleanser and steel
wool accomplish.
Elbow grease is a lost art.
Yes, but I was trying for a polished look, not fine scratches and a satin finish. I still needed the elbow grease for the metal polish. :)

What ever you try test on inside rim or an area that doesn't show. Triple 000 steel might leave a surface ready to polish.

Look for a wheel repair place near you. I had a set of 2002 Sequoia wheels done for $250.00.
They media blasted the wheels, put them in a tracer lathe and picked up the contour and cut
about 0.005 off the front surface of the wheels. Then they clear powder-coated them. Looked
like new! Those are nice wheels! Clear coat powder is alot more durable than the clear coat
that was originally pun on them.

Yes, but I was trying for a polished look, not fine scratches and a satin finish. I still needed the elbow grease for the metald oil will polish the finish polish. :)
The steel wool and oil should give a polished finish.

Auto Transport Service
Back