• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is than an 8 1/4 rear diff in my 74 RR...

ramairthree

Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
74RRreardiff003.jpg

74RRreardiff006.jpg

74RRreardiff001.jpg

I need to clean it up, and want to get the right gasket for the rear cover leak

Thank you for any info

yep thats definitly a 8 1/4-
Whats nice is the brakes backing plates bolt right up to a 8 3/4 if you change up in the future

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 585
thanks!

What grade and weight oil is it supposed to get?

Wow how many load bearing springs are on the back of that car? I see 2 leaf springs, 2 coil over springs, and some coil springs bolted to the top of the axle.

Wow how many load bearing springs are on the back of that car? I see 2 leaf springs, 2 coil over springs, and some coil springs bolted to the top of the axle.
When I got her she had the extra long shackles on the back and even traction bars like they were compensating for somthing back in the 80's ;p

FYI, Chrysler really beefed these rears up in the later years. MA did an article on upgrading the earlier units and used an auburn center with new axles to gain 30% greater strength over the 70s pieces. You still have to contend with the C-clip design, but if it's all you have for a while, it should live just fine. I don't know if any late model apps would fit the 71-74 chassis width, but it could be an option. Jeep Cherokee might be close, don't know about the offset.

The chrysler 8 1/4 axle is also commenly used in Jeep Cherokee XJs. You can find limited slip center sections fairly easily. It is also easy to find selectable and automatic lockers and spools because of the jeep off road applications. The 96 and newer axles are bigger with a larger spline count. Overall it is a very stout axle.

I dont know if anyone has considered swapping these complete housings into an earlier Mopar, but they also have the same bolt pattern as our classic Mopars except for Pre 71 A bodies. I have been considering this a good budget swap on early A bodies to replace the weak 7 1/4 axle.

If you also look at the same application, Jeep used a Dana 44 with lots of aftermarket support.

As you may have guessed, in addition to loving classic Mopars, I also enjoy Jeeps and 4wheel drives.

looks like mud bees to me..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnyhooooooooooo.....im not sure if thats a 8 1/4 or not

looks like mud bees to me..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnyhooooooooooo.....im not sure if thats a 8 1/4 or not

Cranky put this in for another member.. This will help identify...
cid_60205FA4A7F547C082AF15A31CDD220-1.gif

The 8 1/4" rear may not be a heavy duty axle, but as mentioned before, thier use on (under) Jeeps insures a healthy aftermarket support. Even better than the 8 3/4 (except for big buck racy stuff) and ESPECIALLY the 9 1/4". Pretty much anything ever used on a Jeep enjoys good aftermarket support no natter how spindly it is ( Dana 35, anyone?). I have a 3.55 R&P for mine that was OEM for an XJ, got it cheap when dude bought steeper gears for rock crawling. Now. If I can just find a locker..

I use 90 or 80/90 in mines's.

I wasn't aware of the lack of a spool, I've never searched for one and I"m not sure of how advisable one would be in ab 8.25. I have seen Sure-grip units, lockers, c-clip eliminators and ring-and-pinion sets. Good Timken bearings are also available. All good stuff for a street application, not sure I'd want to try it in a high hp racing situation.

Well just saying, these axles are in jeeps, and spools are available for nearly every other axle. There extremely common in tge dirt world. Just surprised no one offers it for an 8.25

has anyone thought about swapping a dana 44 out of a 06-10 jeep grand cherokee they have the same 62" track width and posi and disk brakes? ill post a new thread lol

I heard that a c body 8.75 will go right into these?? (one from a mid '60's anyways...I can't remember the width right off)..

Auto Transport Service
Back