• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kings bird going to Goodwood

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
Just posted on YT today, the Kings superbird is going to Goodwood speed festival with Kyle driving. Pretty cool as they fire her up and take it for a test spin.

Notice how he went for the non-existent quick release steering wheel when he first shut it off?

Here's a pic I took of it in the museum in March, 2023 - before they put the Petty 75 decals on it.

IMG_0681.jpg

I'll bet back in the day there were several stock cars on that road running in front of the shop.

Can you imagine a local seeing that car cruise on public streets.
And thinking it some old mans clone

Just posted on YT today, the Kings superbird is going to Goodwood speed festival with Kyle driving. Pretty cool as they fire her up and take it for a test spin.

That'd be a cool site to witness

good luck to him at Goodwood too

Figure I'm miss'n somp'n, and my be a dumb question that's probably known by you stock car guys of the era.

But what's the deal with no 1st gear? Was it removed for rotating weight and or not needed much anyway in a race?

Notice the oversized steering wheel in diameter and length. It's just about in his gut.

A 2017 article .....

Figure I'm miss'n somp'n, and my be a dumb question that's probably known by you stock car guys of the era.

But what's the deal with no 1st gear? Was it removed for rotating weight and or not needed much anyway in a race?
I think it's a 4-speed and he was just starting out in second. Sounded like it was bogging a little. Could it be the shift pattern of a newer era car (Kyle's era) is different, and that's why? I don't know.

I think it's a 4-speed and he was just starting out in second. Sounded like it was bogging a little. Could it be the shift pattern of a newer era car (Kyle's era) is different, and that's why? I don't know.
Says 3 speed on dash? Maybe just has a 4 speed knob...

Richard has had the 'Bird at Goodwood before (some years back; videos on YT) as well as a couple of his
other race cars (the '67 Belvedere comes to mind). There's a bond of sorts between him and those British
folks apparently. Good to see Kyle taking up the mantle for his dad this time around - and the apparent
reverence he has for this particular car as well.

The engine lugging is, taller than stock tires
& tall rear gears, for super-speedways

From what I've read
yes they used 3 speeds in many of them
(3.09:1 1st gear stock in a production a833 3 speed,
they may/I assume they have a different gear in it
)
1st is to take off only, they are in high gear mostly
unless it's a road course & all the variable/gear ratios etc.
even # of gears, are different, they ran steeper gears & trans ratios

Takes about a 3.00:1 gear ratio
with a final 1:1 3rd gear (or 1:1 4th gear)
to run just over 7,500+ RPM @ 210 MPH on the straight aways
with just over a 28" diameter tire
with the engine locked up 1:1 with no slippage

a 3.54:1 would be
7,500rpm
with a 28" tall tire
1:1 trans ratio,
is like 176+mph,

that 3.54:1 ratio/s it would be like almost 9,000 RPM at 210
or take a 33" tall tire to do it with a 3.54:1 gear & at around 7,500+
those Good Year tires they used aren't 33", more like 28"-ish

check it out on wallace racing calcs

Last edited:
Looks like Kyle was not to comfortable in it. I like the respect he shows for it though.

Interesting that he doesn’t even have the belts on.

Back in the day (1980s) my buddy knew their secretary. She told him she once went a few miles down the road and Kyle followed her in his race car. She was driving as fast as she could but could not even see his front bumper because he was following so close.

Looks like a factory steering column. God knows what that steering wheel is from. Couple rolls of electrical tape on it.

Gotta love the sound of the little p%^$ pots revving up, then the Hemi lights and it just makes the impact of thunder.

Ok. It's back and everyone can relax.
The Brits didn't take it hostage.
Richard helps push. Either that or he's just leaning on it.

5,199 views Premiered 14 hours ago RICHARD PETTY MUSEUM
The journey comes full circle as Richard Petty’s legendary 1970 Superbird returns to the Petty Museum after its incredible showing at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The iconic car receives a final tune-up and cleaning at Petty’s Garage before being carefully rolled back into its rightful place at the museum.

Auto Transport Service
Back