• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latin exchange between Doc Holliday and Johny Ringo

QOTHL

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
What does it mean, how does it translate in English?
Not one word of profanity, but pretty heated exchange.

The Latin conversation happens just after Wyatt Earp has tried to defuse the tension between Holliday and Ringo by saying, “He’s drunk.” The exchange between Doc and Ringo then goes as follows:

Doc : In vino veritas.
Ringo : Age quod agis.
Doc : Credat Judaeus Apella, non ego.
Ringo : Juventus stultorum magister.
Doc : In pace requiescat!

That translates as (literal translation followed by more interpretive in brackets):

Doc: In wine there is truth. (Being drunk makes me tell the truth.)

Ringo: Do what you do. (Being drunk makes you a drunkard / it’s good to stick to what you know best.)

Doc: [This is a quote from the ancient poet Horace] Let the Jew Apella believe it, not me. (Go and tell someone who cares.)

Ringo: Youth is the teacher of fools. (Fools need to learn by experience / Perhaps a fool like you needs someone experienced to teach him a lesson.)

Doc: Rest in peace. (Do what you like, it’s your funeral.)

It doesn't matter to me WHICH language was used between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo, the tension between them was palpable. (Although I appreciate you deciphering their verbal exchange in Latin.)
Either way, I don't know how Val Kilmer didn't get an award for his performance...the best of his career, in my opinion. I watch Tombstone every time I run across it, to the point I can recall the dialog. And I can't remember ****!

Not the exact quote, but.....
"Your friends might get me in a rush...but not before i turn your head into a canoe!"
Love that line!

I watch Tombstone every time that it comes on.

So many good lines in it.

I like when Wyatt said " I said jerk that pistol and go to work boy! Or are you gonna stand there and bleed ?"

Almost everything that Val Kilmer said was great

It doesn't matter to me WHICH language was used between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo, the tension between them was palpable. (Although I appreciate you deciphering their verbal exchange in Latin.)
Either way, I don't know how Val Kilmer didn't get an award for his performance...the best of his career, in my opinion. I watch Tombstone every time I run across it, to the point I can recall the dialog. And I can't remember ****!

I can't and don't intend to take credit for the translation, I found it on the Internet. I knew what the first line was and was curious about the rest of the exchange. The YouTube videos didn't do as good a job as this post for translation. My impression is that this translator really knows Latin and how it was used in history and filled in a lot of intent.

I wondered if Kilmer got an Oscar for this performance. It's a shame he didn't. I'm not a Kilmer fan and at first thought he was a bit young looking to play someone who was in his thirties. The scene in the Sanitarium is a masterpiece, the peak of a complete and masterful performance, including the totally convincing southern accent, inflection, cadence. Even if you weren't familiar with the historical figure of Doc Holiday, Kilmer's performance, in my opinion, endeared the audience with his first appearance. He was incredibly believable in this role.

I've always liked Kurt Russel and casting him with Kilmer in this movie was really good. They play off of each other really well.

Not the exact quote, but.....
"Your friends might get me in a rush...but not before i turn your head into a canoe!"
Love that line!

You're not as stupid as you look, Ike.

So many good scenes and lines, I enjoy them every time I see them.
I have two guns...

I watch Tombstone every time that it comes on.

So many good lines in it.

I like when Wyatt said " I said jerk that pistol and go to work boy! Or are you gonna stand there and bleed ?"

Almost everything that Val Kilmer said was great

And "skin that smoke wagon"!

What does it mean, how does it translate in English?
Not one word of profanity, but pretty heated exchange.

The Latin conversation happens just after Wyatt Earp has tried to defuse the tension between Holliday and Ringo by saying, “He’s drunk.” The exchange between Doc and Ringo then goes as follows:

Doc : In vino veritas.
Ringo : Age quod agis.
Doc : Credat Judaeus Apella, non ego.
Ringo : Juventus stultorum magister.
Doc : In pace requiescat!

That translates as (literal translation followed by more interpretive in brackets):

Doc: In wine there is truth. (Being drunk makes me tell the truth.)

Ringo: Do what you do. (Being drunk makes you a drunkard / it’s good to stick to what you know best.)

Doc: [This is a quote from the ancient poet Horace] Let the Jew Apella believe it, not me. (Go and tell someone who cares.)

Ringo: Youth is the teacher of fools. (Fools need to learn by experience / Perhaps a fool like you needs someone experienced to teach him a lesson.)

Doc: Rest in peace. (Do what you like, it’s your funeral.)

I knew the first and last of Doc's lines, but not the rest. Thanks for posting a good explanation and interpretation.

This movie is great and I think a close second to Gunfight at the OK Corral with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas as Doc.
In that one the scene where Wyatt's brother confronts Doc and Doc draws his hideout pistol is pretty good.

Another well acted scene- Doc and Johnny's final showdown. The look in Johnny Ringo's eyes...
Doc: "Well, Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave"
Johnny: Fight's not with you, Holliday."
Doc: "We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?"
Johnny: I was just fooling about...
Doc: "I wasn't."
Johnny: "Alright, lunger, let's do it." (The look on his face at that moment made you KNOW he was crazy)
Doc: Say when... (best response ever!)

Another well acted scene- Doc and Johnny's final showdown. The look in Johnny Ringo's eyes...
Johnny: "Alright, lunger, let's do it." (The look on his face at that moment made you KNOW he was crazy)
Ringo knew he was going to die. Couldn't back down and still keep his street creds.

One of my favorites of all Westerns. Watch it just about every time it is on. I learned some Latin in my youth...thanks to my Father...and understand its root foundations in present linguistic languages. So many every day words we us, have Latin in them. As for the scene with Doc/Ringo? Well played and spoken. Doc's first line using the word "Veritas" being the word "truth" in Latin, it is used currently by the Project Veritas. Just fun learning it is half the reward. Otherwise, I seldom rely on Latin...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

One of my favorites of all Westerns. Watch it just about every time it is on. I learned some Latin in my youth...thanks to my Father...and understand its root foundations in present linguistic languages. So many every day words we us, have Latin in them. As for the scene with Doc/Ringo? Well played and spoken. Doc's first line using the word "Veritas" being the word "truth" in Latin, it is used currently by the Project Veritas. Just fun learning it is half the reward. Otherwise, I seldom rely on Latin...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

As I mentioned in another post, the translations on YouTube were amateurish by comparison. I appreciate someone who really knows their stuff:
Credat Judeaus Apella, non ego - referencing historical literature to make the point: I don't care what you think, tell someone who does. The writer did an excellent job, in my opinion, of demonstrating in the script how well educated Holiday was as well as Ringo, even thought the latter is hard to admit. But it works, really well. Ringo is well educated but outmatched.

The guy who played Ringo is a really good actor. The look in his eyes when he realizes it's Holiday, not Wyatt shows he knows he's screwed, there's no negotiating with someone like Holiday. I read somewhere the shot to Ringos head was calculated to hit him in the brain where he'd be alive but incapacitated for a short time before kicking the bucket, he knows he's dead but not dead yet.

How does that bra smell? :lol:
Not too bad, but sometimes i do it a different way. Which is better?

20201006_191125.jpg 20201006_191227.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back