• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal in California?

'67Satellite

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
This coming Fall, I'll be moving across the country from South Carolina to Sunny Southern California. The pending move brings me mixed emotions. I've always heard that California has the most "progressive" laws. Especially when it comes to cars.

Moving from a non-commonwealth, non-smog state like SC, to a fancy state like California. What do you think I should expect for my car ('67 Satellite with 440)?

This coming Fall, I'll be moving across the country from South Carolina to Sunny Southern California. The pending move brings me mixed emotions. I've always heard that California has the most "progressive" laws. Especially when it comes to cars.

Moving from a non-commonwealth, non-smog state like SC, to a fancy state like California. What do you think I should expect for my car ('67 Satellite with 440)?
The car should be okay to bring in as it should be smog "exempt". I have brought in both my cars in to the state and have had no problems.

Moving into CA!!?? I thought most people are moving out?

As mentioned, no issues at all with 75 and older. Since the car is coming from out of state there is a chance you will need to have the VIN verified but that's no big deal. Normally it's done at the DMV but any police officer can do it and the form is available on line.

67satellite welcome to the left coast, the 67 sat will be fine no worries. Good luck in sunny SoCal....

Moving into CA!!?? I thought most people are moving out?
LOL!! Same in the 'smog' counties in Texas where 25 and older cars don't have to have a smog test but has to pass a visual....meaning if it came with a cat etc, it needs to be there.

California will require a vin inspection. This can be done at a DMV office or by the California Highway Patrol.

No smog test, no smog visual, nothing. Like others said, possibly a VIN check when you first register it from out of state, but after that, as long as you pay your registration, your good to go.

What's on the car now? PCV valve and that's about it? Even if there was law's for pre 75 cars....that would be a cake walk....and I think it's up to 75 where nothing is checked anymore.

The VIN inspection is an absolute breeze. I had to do one on my 64 when I brought it into the state. Just so you know there is no safety inspection like functioning brake lights and horn etc, just verification of the VIN.

You can also arrange to have a police officer come to your location to perform the check, they will do that.

Auto Transport Service
Back