• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Island New York Residents

HersheysHemi

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
Hi
I own a white 1969 hemi roadrunner coupe with v21 black hood stripes that was some Plymouth dealership's drag car when new in the Long Island area.
I'm looking for someone that has lived or still lives in that area that remembers the name of Plymouth dealership's or
Frequented local drag strips back in the day.
The car has slotted mags wheels and a fiberglass snorkel scoop on the factory hood. Also says Plymouth real big on the center of the quarter panels.
Not sure at what time in it's life those changes were made.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks

Messenger_creation_5efb7c9a-efee-4145-9a22-37d7003f1a62.jpeg

Ok, I know L.I. How do you know it was a dealership's drag car ? What makes you think so ? It would've been run at NY National Speedway in Moriches, Islip, or Westhampton if so. Of course, they may have also ran the car at Great Meadows, Englishtown, or Atco in NJ.

@bballfan1 Hey Mike know anything about this car? I know it’s the opposite side of the state from you…but dealership race car caught my attention.

Ok, I know L.I. How do you know it was a dealership's drag car ? What makes you think so ? It would've been run at NY National Speedway in Moriches, Islip, or Westhampton if so. Of course, they may have also ran the car at Great Meadows, Englishtown, or Atco in NJ.
I have no certain proof it was.
That is what the previous owner was told when he got the car.
I wish it had a dealership name in big letters down the side.
The car is stuck in the 1970's.
Still has it's old drag slicks on it.
If I can find the car's history as a drag car I will probably leave it that way.
If not I will probably just restore it as correct hemi street car like the day it was delivered to the dealership new.

Keep it a drag car so much interesting than another stock hemi resto .

Keep it a drag car so much interesting than another stock hemi resto .
Ya I agree. Probably not worth as much though.
I just want to get it driveable and have fun with it.
I'm planning on taking it to the Carlisle show in 2025 even if it isn't running.

I want to share pictures of the car but it is in a different state stored in a family member's barn right now.
I will feel more comfortable when it is in my garage.
I will be moving to that state spring of next year.

I have no certain proof it was.
That is what the previous owner was told when he got the car.
I wish it had a dealership name in big letters down the side.
The car is stuck in the 1970's.
Still has it's old drag slicks on it.
If I can find the car's history as a drag car I will probably leave it that way.
If not I will probably just restore it as correct hemi street car like the day it was delivered to the dealership new.
Has it been painted over ? Perhaps over any prior illustrations ? The car has slotted mags wheels and a fiberglass snorkel scoop on the factory hood. Also says Plymouth real big on the center of the quarter panels. This is not uncommon for the day, that "Plymouth" decal was stuck on many Plymouths by owners to replicate drag & nascar cars at the time. Are there any modification indicators it was a drag car ?

Has it been painted over ? Perhaps over any prior illustrations ? The car has slotted mags wheels and a fiberglass snorkel scoop on the factory hood. Also says Plymouth real big on the center of the quarter panels. This is not uncommon for the day, that "Plymouth" decal was stuck on many Plymouths by owners to replicate drag & nascar cars at the time. Are there any modification indicators it was a drag car ?
I was visiting family and met my cousin that is close to my age for the first time. He gave me the car. He has stuff piled on the front of the car and the car is dirty.
I believe it is all original paint minus the fiberglass fenders. But I can't say that for certain since the car wasn't clean.
Being that I just met him I didn't want to be rude and ask him to move stuff around so I could look all thru the car,under it and around it.
I was just completely excited that he gave me a hemi roadrunner and was so generous.

The car has fiberglass front fenders, roll cage and someone modified the firewall to let engine bay air vent out the top of the cowl.
Those are the modifications that he told me about and I saw.
I'm sure it has other modifications I'm not aware of.
The car is in a corner with a foot of space around it so I couldn't get any good pictures of it.
I have a picture of the front end, side of the car from a angle, fender tag and vin tag. I also have some pictures of the day he got the car which are kind of fuzzy since digital cameras were not as great of resolution back then as now days.
I'm going back there in October to show my wife around the area and make sure she likes it.
I plan on looking the car over in detail and getting more pictures of it.
I'm not claiming the car was owned by some famous dealership or was a famous drag car.
It's possible it was some tiny dealership that no one has heard of and they never put their name on the car.
Probably the best thing I can do is try to find previous owners of the car.
I need to ask my cousin who he got the car from and where that was
My cousin owned it for about 15 years.

my shop was in Freeport....the local Mopar dealer was Conway Motors in Baldwin...about a half mile down Sunrise Highway from Motion Performance....I know the parts manager had a drag car but I never saw it...in those days between drag cars and the 3 oval tracks on Long Island i think every single dealership had someone who raced...

my shop was in Freeport....the local Mopar dealer was Conway Motors...about a half mile down Sunrise Highway from Motion Performance....I know the parts manager had a drag car but I never saw it...
Cool. Thanks for the info.
It could be something like that where it was the parts manager's car and was around the dealership so someone assumed it was the dealership's car.

Hey, maybe your mystery can be hopefully unraveled. At the very least, a great car to have ! Keep us posted on any details you may discover on the car.

Long Island was (and is ) a very populated area...the Dodge dealer (Merrick Dodge) was about 3 miles from Conway...think there was another in Valley Stream but cant remember a name...so there were LOTS of them...and whoever drove it or watched it run is pushing 80 if they're even still with us

Last edited:
Hey, maybe your mystery can be hopefully unraveled. At the very least, a great car to have ! Keep us posted on any details you may discover on the car.
I sure hope so.
I think the drag racing history of the car is more interesting than the car being restored 100% stock if I can track down the full story of the car.
Ok will do.

Long Island was (and is ) a very populated area...the Dodge dealer (Merrick Dodge) was about 3 miles from Conway...think there was another in Valley Stream but cant remember a name...so there were LOTS of them...and whoever drove it or watched it run is pushing 80 if they're even still with us
Ok. So far I haven't had any luck doing google searches on old dealership's in that area people have named.
Seems like most of them closed and they were not known for anything so no one has talked about them since.
Although it appears there was a lot of old drag strips in that area back then so I have been researching them and going thru old pictures from the races.

Sounds like a cool throw back to the later 60's & early 70's
I'm from the west coast I have no idea of the names of dealerships back there

we need some photos

maybe try a different search criteria, or search engine
something like NHRA record holders from Long Island 1969 Road Runner
who raced for local Long Island dealerships
if nothing else it may help you identify more dealerships

maybe search Pinterest photos of 69 Roadrunners from Long Island
Dover Dragstrip, I saw your post on there, when I did a quick search

@HEMI-ITIS
he's a Long Island boy

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool throw back to the later 60's & early 70's
I'm from the west coast I have no idea of the names of dealerships back there

we need some photos

maybe try a different search criteria, or search engine
something like NHRA record holders from Long Island 1969 Road Runner
who raced for local Long Island dealerships
if nothing else it may help you identify more dealerships

maybe search Pinterest photos of 69 Roadrunners from Long Island
Dover Dragstrip, I saw your post on there, when I did a quick search

@HEMI-ITIS
he's a Long Island boy
Thanks for the tips. Those are some good ideas.

I would also try local race tracks. Our local track has a guy that has pics and stories from the 60-70's and you would be surprised at the racers who would remember/know about the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back