• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a smoother ride on my 69 Charger

bob32268

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
My 69 Charger just doesn't ride as "smooth" as I'd like it to ride... I'm running F70 x 14 Redlines from Coker (Polyglas), have Magnum wheels all around. I had the tires balanced true, had the driveshaft balanced, new U-Joints. Naturally, I don't expect
it to ride as smooth as my new Honda CRV with 19" Radial tires. Has anybody used the new Redline radials now available? If so, how'd they ride? Anyone else have this type of problem with their B-Body and what did you do to correct the problem?
Tks,
Bob32268

Don’t get KYB shocks,made my 65 ride like a lumber wagon. They’re headed for a big Chrysler now.

Some people like to instantly blame a big torsion bar or leaf springs for a rough ride.
They are part of the system but not the majority of it.
Tires matter too but again, they are not the majority.
I have 1.15” torsion bars and 440-4speed/Hemi spec leaf springs and low profile tires and my car rides about the same as the wife’s 2015 Challenger. Why?
Bilstein shocks. Yes, shocks do matter, a lot.
I had 1.0 torsion bars and KYB shocks from 2001 to 2012. At that point I swapped in the larger torsion bars and the Bilstein shocks. Contrary to what one might think, the car rides better now. Steering response is excellent, the car rides firm but not harsh.

C229D554-F6CC-420E-AAD0-9040FCD45232.gif

I still remember the day (in the 70's) when I upgraded from bias ply tires to radials on my 69 Charger. What a difference. Do that first.

Don’t get KYB shocks,made my 65 ride like a lumber wagon. They’re headed for a big Chrysler now.
Not sure of what kind of shocks are on my Charger, will check in the morning as I've already locked up the garage for the night.
Tks,
Bob32268

Auto Transport Service
Back