• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on 73-74 Roadrunner body codes (coupe and/or hardtop?)

tnhemiboy

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance on this matter. I've been looking for a 73 Roadrunner for some time and there seems to be some debate out there on the 73-74 Roadrunner VIN and fender tag coding with regard to Coupes and Hardtops. Every 73-74 RR VIN and fender tag I have ever seen has read "RM21" and therefore where "Coupes". I've also heard most people claim that 73-74 RRs where only available as "RM21" Coupes. Some have stated that hardtops were available one year;but not the other. Some people don't seem to know the difference between a hardtop and a coupe period. I've also heard of and seen a few pictures of RRs that claim to be hardtops; but have never seen the actual VIN or fender tag to support this. If they do exist for 73-74, then they "theoretically" would be RM23 codes. I have seen many RH23 and RP23 Satellite and Sebrings which are definately hardtops and many of them cloned to be RRs. Does anyone out there know definitively if the 73-74 Roadrunner and the RR GTX was indeed produced as a Hardtop (RM23 code)? If so, I'd love to see some documentation on this. I corresponded with a guy who claimed that he had an all original 73 RR GTX "hardtop" RM23U and his pictures showed all of the side windows (1/4 windows included) indeed rolled down; but he would not show the VIN or fender tag for verification. This makes me very skeptical that 73-74 "RM23" RR hardtops actually exist. I'm tending to believe that all of the "hardtop" RRs pictured out there are likely clones or the owners have just added the rear 1/4 window mechanisms to their "RM21" coupes. Again, I'm only concerned with 73-74 RR models. I don't really trust what some "author" says in some "special" book; because they all seem to be contradicting each other. I want to see actual proof in the form of VINs, fender tags, build sheets, etc. if it exists. Any concrete info on this is much appreciated...... whew!.....

Having been around these cars when they were new, you'll not see a Road Runner 73-74 hardtop. Only RM21 coupes with fixed quarter windows. Hardtop available only on a Sebring or Sebring Plus, which is RH and RP.

Having been around these cars when they were new, you'll not see a Road Runner 73-74 hardtop. Only RM21 coupes with fixed quarter windows. Hardtop available only on a Sebring or Sebring Plus, which is RH and RP.

Every VIN and fender tag I've seen confirms what you just said. What's still so confusing is people who also claim to have 73-74 Roadrunner hardtops ..??!! I've even searched some old forum threads on this site where many claim there were both coupes and hardtops in 73 and 74. Supposedly,according to one thread a few years ago on this site, one well known author was said to have documented that 73 Roadrunners where all hardtops and 74 models where all coupes. I know for a fact that 73 Roadrunners were produced as coupes so this author wasn't very accurate at all. I'm beginning to think that most these guys just don't know the difference. Frustrating!

What if you throw the GTX option into the mix?

What if you throw the GTX option into the mix?

I did include the GTX Roadrunners of 73 and 74 in my post above.... see from above..... " I corresponded with a guy who claimed that he had an all original 73RR GTX "hardtop" RM23U and his pictures showed all of the side windows (1/4 windows included) indeed rolled down; but he would not show the VIN or fender tag for verification. This makes me very skeptical that 73-74 "RM23" RR hardtops actually exist."

My theory is that the GTX option may have been available as a 23 body (or even standard)

RM23U would have indeed been a GTX optioned car.

My theory is that the GTX option may have been available as a 23 body (or even standard)

I suppose that would be correct in theory.... I just have never seen any concrete evidence to support it.... I've seen a lot of pictures of supposed real 73 and 74 RR and GTX hardtops (with the rear quarter windows rolled down); but have never seen an "RM23" VIN or fender tag on any 73 or 74 plymouth to confirm it... All of the 73-74 RR GTXs I've seen have been "RM21U" VINs with corresponding fender tags.... Maybe I'm just trying to find the proverbial Unicorn...?

Actually, there was no GTX option per se, you got a GTX badge with the 440 engine option. Nevertheless, ALL 73 & 74 RM Road Runners were only RM21.

Actually, there was no GTX option per se, you got a GTX badge with the 440 engine option. Nevertheless, ALL 73 & 74 RM Road Runners were only RM21.

I agree on both points. The GTX badging had nothing to do with body style. 73 Road Runners were Vinned as RM21 cars.

However....power windows were available on a Road Runner. How were cars with this option manufactured? That is, did the rear windows go up and down or only the front windows?

Last edited:

RM23U is not possible in 73 or 74. 440 equipped cars were still RM21 cars.

73_RM21_E86_800.jpg
74_RM21_E86_800.jpg

I agree on both points. The GTX badging had nothing to do with body style. 73 Road Runners were Vinned as RM21 cars.

However....power windows were available on a Road Runner. How were cars with this option manufactured? That is, did the rear windows go up and down or only the front windows?
Just the door windows moved, the quarter glass was always fixed.

I believe there's P/W equipped 73/74 RR on ebay right now, and it appears to have four switches on the driver's door.

I only did a cursory glance at the listing though.

That's a GREAT point! I have seen these 73-74 Roadrunners with power windows option and I have also seen the FOUR buttons your talking about. ..... If the rear quarter windows on these cars are ALL stationary, shouldn't there only be two buttons? Awesome comment.

That's a GREAT point! I have seen these 73-74 Roadrunners with power windows option and I have also seen the FOUR buttons your talking about. ..... If the rear quarter windows on these cars are ALL stationary, shouldn't there only be two buttons? Awesome comment.

Here is picture showing the FOUR power window buttons on the 73 Roadrunner driver door mentioned by YY1 earlier..... The seller states that it it a RM21 car.

tmp_22873-$_3.JPG(2)455631108.jpeg

Transplanted p/w doors?

I've got a pair to go on mine but will swap guts because they're Charger doors.

Looks like the fender tag is missing on that car.

Can't see the rear panels too clearly, but there is something odd you can see on the driver's side just above where the switch would be.

Someone should ask for pics of the back panels.

I don't see evidence of the doors being swapped, but that's kinda difficult to ascertain.

Looks like the fender tag is missing on that car.

Can't see the rear panels too clearly, but there is something odd you can see on the driver's side just above where the switch would be.

Someone should ask for pics of the back panels.

I don't see evidence of the doors being swapped, but that's kinda difficult to ascertain.

These two photos are from a recent eBay auction of a 73 roadrunner that had factory power windows. Notice that the driver's door had the same four buttons and also notice that the picture that shows the passenger side of vehicle shows a single button on the front AND rear panel!! The "P31" on the fender tag confirms its a real power window car...

PicsArt_1467919602757.jpg PicsArt_1467920194988.jpg

These two photos are from a recent eBay auction of a 73 roadrunner that had factory power windows. Notice that the driver's door had the same four buttons and also notice that the picture that shows the passenger side of vehicle shows a single button on the front AND rear panel!! The "P31" on the fender tag confirms its a real power window car...

View attachment 347657 View attachment 347660

PicsArt_1467920229477.jpg

Busted.

I was gonna say a dash swap is pretty easy.

Both cars maybe.

Auto Transport Service
Back