• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on 73-74 Roadrunner body codes (coupe and/or hardtop?)

Take a close look at the dash....

View attachment 347737
I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here...? I'm fully aware that the Satellites, Sebrings, Sebring Plus, and Roadrunners could be ordered with both style of instrument clusters. The fender tag on the Roadrunner above confirms it is a power window car. Is it possible that this relatively rare option (P31 code) caused some of these RM21 cars to have rear quarter windows that will roll down when the rest of the RM21 cars these years will not?

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here...? I'm fully aware that the Satellites, Sebrings, Sebring Plus, and Roadrunners could be ordered with both style of instrument clusters. The fender tag on the Roadrunner above confirms it is a power window car. Is it possible that this relatively rare option (P31 code) caused some of these RM21 cars to have rear quarter windows that will roll down when the rest of the RM21 cars these years will not?

My point was that the picture in post 14 is supposed to be a Road Runner when it has the non Road Runner dash. This makes me want to see more documentation that the car said to be a Road Runner is really a Road Runner.

Were dashes optional?

I had a 1972 Roadrunner/GTX that had roll down windows in the back, and a 1973 Roadrunner/GTX that I'm pretty sure it had roll down windows as well. They were bought in 1980 and 1984 so I'm pretty sure no one modified them.

I just remember what a pain in the *** it was to roll down the back windows all the time, but in Florida in the Summer it was a must.

My point was that the picture in post 14 is supposed to be a Road Runner when it has the non Road Runner dash. This makes me want to see more documentation that the car said to be a Road Runner is really a Road Runner.

Were dashes optional?

Your assuming that the rally dash is the Roadrunner dash and the standard dash is the satellite/Sebring dash. This is not the case. I've seen several 73-74 Roadrunners that came with the standard dash, granted only a few. I've seen a multitude of satellites and Sebring models with the rally dash option.... some even with the 150 mph Speedo. The standard dash seems to be more rare these two years.... probably because it was less popular. It was an option for all of these models none the less. There is a guy two counties over from me who bought a 73 roadrunner H code (340 engine) silver mist with hemi Orange stripes bucket seat with console roadrunner brand new with the standard dash. Why some would choose the standard dash over the rally dash in a Roadrunner is a mystery to me; but it happened. So I reiterate.... you could get either dash in any 73-74 model.

Last edited:
I had a 1972 Roadrunner/GTX that had roll down windows in the back, and a 1973 Roadrunner/GTX that I'm pretty sure it had roll down windows as well. They were bought in 1980 and 1984 so I'm pretty sure no one modified them.

I just remember what a pain in the *** it was to roll down the back windows all the time, but in Florida in the Summer it was a must.
I'm sure you are correct about your 72 model gtx... It was probably a RM23 body since this was standard for Roadrunners in 71-72...... Your 73 model roadrunner on the other hand, I would have to see for myself.

Just found this write up about the GTX:

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2016/04/1973-1974-plymouth-satellitesebringroad.html

The GTX option: Starting in 1973, the GTX became a 440 four barrel option for the Roadrunner model. You got GTX decals on the trunk lid deck and power dome hood, the 440 four barrel engine was paired with a 727 Torqueflite automatic. No four speed or three speed manuals were available with a 440. The 440 four barrel engine was only available on the Plymouth Roadrunner in the two door hardtop body. You couldn't get this in a Satellite or Sebring model. Production of the 1973 GTX was low at 749 cars. It was not mentioned in the 1973 brochure, only the sales catalog.

Just found this write up about the GTX:

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2016/04/1973-1974-plymouth-satellitesebringroad.html

The GTX option: Starting in 1973, the GTX became a 440 four barrel option for the Roadrunner model. You got GTX decals on the trunk lid deck and power dome hood, the 440 four barrel engine was paired with a 727 Torqueflite automatic. No four speed or three speed manuals were available with a 440. The 440 four barrel engine was only available on the Plymouth Roadrunner in the two door hardtop body. You couldn't get this in a Satellite or Sebring model. Production of the 1973 GTX was low at 749 cars. It was not mentioned in the 1973 brochure, only the sales catalog.

Sorry. There is more than one thing wrong about the article. There was no 'option' per se. You ordered the 440, you got the badges. That simple. No RM23 hard tops for 73 or 74. Does the writer provide any documentation to their claims? Any links to factory brochures?

'73's and 74s RRs were coupes. I can imagine how hard it was to roll down the back windows of a 73 ;)

Last edited:
Sorry. There is more than one thing wrong about the article. There was no 'option' per se. You ordered the 440, you got the badges. That simple. No RM23 hard tops for 73 or 74. Dos the write provide any documentation to their claims? Any links to factory brochures?

'73's and 74s RRs were coupes. I can imagine how hard it was to roll down the back windows of a 73 ;)

I agree with your statement that all 73-74 RRs are technically "coupes" because they are all, to the best of my knowledge, RM21 bodies. My big question now is if those few RM21 coupes that had the rare P31 power windows option are a slight exception and allow the rear quarter windows to be rolled down like the hardtop models? I'm hoping that someone out there with a 73-74 P31 code (power windows) RM21 Roadrunner will chime in and answer this question.

Didn't the GTX "option" start in 72?

Lots of writers don't get the difference between a hardtop and a coupe (or sedan for that matter), especially the mopar specific differences and exceptions.

Lots will use sedan to mean any 4 door and coupe to mean any 2 door.

Auto Transport Service
Back