• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud Screeching noise at startup!

TopBanana72

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.. I have developed a very loud screeching noise at cold startup when reving. The condition seems to go away after a few minutes of driving, but I am worried now and I'm trying to prep the Charger for Carlisle trip.

Car details:
1972 Charger
318 rebuilt about 10K miles ago

I have tackled the following from suggestions on the site:

1) Belts - replaced, sanded pullies, tried different tensions. It is not the belts. The sound is exactly the same each time.
2) Alternator pully bearing wear - replaced the alternator.
3) Water pump - Replaced the water pump.
4) Power steering pump - removed belt and tested engine - same symptom.

It's a head scratcher. Noise seems to be coming from the front of the engine.

Here is a video of the noise--starting up cold after I replaced the water pump.

thanks all for any suggestions

Take the belt off and check the waterpump for wear. Also the alternator make sure they dont have any wobble at the shaft.

Water pump is new and just installed before the video. Alternator is new installed two days ago, shaft is good.

Take the belts off and see if the noise is gone. Definitely sounds like a slipping belt.

Thanks for the vid!
Well, I did that for the PS pump, I guess I can take both off and start it up and see. I'll do that tomorrow.

I had a similar problem with my gen2 Hemi. It was from the PS belt, the thinner one was a 1540, which everybody called for. I put a 1740 on it and that horrible start up screech disappeared. With the saginaw pump the wider belt fit better in the pulley.

Well I'll be dipped (as Derek would say)

I took both belts off and started it up and no screech! I guess it was a belt squeak issue after all! Specifically, the alt, WP and main pully one is the problem one since I already removed the PS belt earlier in my ordeal. I'll try a different brand I guess.

Spin the alternator and water pump to see if one has a noticeable drag. If not, like stated, maybe a wider belt. You weren't at the end of the adjustment?

Spin the alternator and water pump to see if one has a noticeable drag. If not, like stated, maybe a wider belt. You weren't at the end of the adjustment?
Well, the fan is easy to turn. Think maybe the pully is glazed, needs some more sanding perhaps. Was thinking of trying a different type belt too. I have new gates with the knobby contact side. Maybe a smooth one would be better.

What brand belts? Reason I ask is that I am currently having an issue with new Gates belts for an alternator. 3 in a row are slipping enough that my alt won't charge. Only 1 of them was making a squealing noise. Went to OReillys and tried their store brand belt, problem resolved. Seems like the Gates are to hard/smooth to get any grip.

What brand belts? Reason I ask is that I am currently having an issue with new Gates belts for an alternator. 3 in a row are slipping enough that my alt won't charge. Only 1 of them was making a squealing noise. Went to OReillys and tried their store brand belt, problem resolved. Seems like the Gates are to hard/smooth to get any grip.
I put a gates on mine also and the ****** slips and screams :(

I have heard that Gates quality went to hell when they contracted for overseas manufacturing. Guess the rumors are true. Sad that another USA company sold out.

Auto Transport Service
Back