• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud Screeching noise at startup!

I have heard that Gates quality went to hell when they contracted for overseas manufacturing. Guess the rumors are true. Sad that another USA company sold out.
THey are probably made out of plastic. Not much rubber any more.

Pulleys can't be to smooth. My bet is it's just plain not tight enough. New belts stretch. They need to be tightened like a guitar string. This is assuming all the pulleys are inline. since it has a new alternator and water pump talignment may have changed. Take a straight edge and place on each pulley. It should contact 2 edges of each pulley with no gap.
Doug

Pulleys can't be to smooth. My bet is it's just plain not tight enough. New belts stretch. They need to be tightened like a guitar string. This is assuming all the pulleys are inline. since it has a new alternator and water pump talignment may have changed. Take a straight edge and place on each pulley. It should contact 2 edges of each pulley with no gap.
Doug

just went thru this , after I got anti freeze on my belts , belt has been on about 12 yrs , never a problem till the anti freeze ,

After it screeches for a minute, shut off engine and touch each pulley. The pulley that is super hot is the one that is slipping.

Last edited:
What brand belts? Reason I ask is that I am currently having an issue with new Gates belts for an alternator. 3 in a row are slipping enough that my alt won't charge. Only 1 of them was making a squealing noise. Went to OReillys and tried their store brand belt, problem resolved. Seems like the Gates are to hard/smooth to get any grip.
Ya you guessed it, Gates it is. May try the Oreillys

Doug
Good point. Did that.. had to shim the PS pump.

Doug
Speaking of alternators, the new one is a duralast reman from Autozone. Very good quality job. I think it was $81. Fits in much better than the old one.. no gaps in spacers, no shimming. I'm starting to be a Duralast fan. Water pump is new Duralast also.

Speaking of alternators, the new one is a duralast reman from Autozone. Very good quality job. I think it was $81. Fits in much better than the old one.. no gaps in spacers, no shimming. I'm starting to be a Duralast fan. Water pump is new Duralast also.
Stuck on a Duralast starter on my 95 Dakota and it maybe lasted a year.....2nd one lasted about the same....now I'm getting a bit pissed off because it's not that easy to change so I bitched at them a little. 3rd one has been on for nearly 20 years! Watch it go out now lol

Auto Transport Service
Back