• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower radiator hose location change...

Krooser

Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
Okay...so I am getting closer to installing the '74 318 into my '65 Coronet.

I know Ma Mopar changed the lower hose from right to left in '70...

I have a small block '65 radiator that I bought last fall. I figure I will have to move the lower hose location from left to right?

My radiator is in my shop attic and is under a pile of junque at the moment...so I can't peek at it without some effort.

How about it...am I correct?

If I need to get it moved I will have my local shop do the work.

I'm so fat I'm afraid the extra weight will require heavier torsion bars!!!
No need to alter your car in any way. Just drive with only half your body inside the car, while you scrape the other half along the ground as you go. :D

I'm so fat I'm afraid the extra weight will require heavier torsion bars!!!
Get a "Weight adjustment compensating shaft" on ebay.

1722224867686.png
Also put one of these in
1722225241927.png
Mine works great.... well worth the $$

Last edited:
You guys are a lot of help...thanks!

I made an appt with a plastic surgeon in case the "scraping" part goes south...I can always cancel the appt.

You could weld fins on that 318 and convert to air cooling?
Mike

Well I dropped the radiator off today.

The guy at the desk wanted to sell me a China aluminum radiator...said it would be cheaper than fixing the OEM unit.

I told him I wanted to use the original style rad.

Then he told me they were busy in the shop so don't expect to get this done this week...I said OK.

Then he started poking around the bottom fins looking for a hole...or trying to make one.

He did everything trying to sell me a new unit. I wasn't buying.

To be honest he was a real @sshat.

I was going to take the rad to GlenRay in Wausau, WI...went thru there yesterday, but I was on a tight schedule and couldn't stop.

This other shop has done work for me years ago but those guys were a lot friendlier.

I supposed to get a call with an estimate in a week or two.

Got all my radiator hoses yesterday plus the bypass hose.

I think I have enough heater hose in stock...I will have to check.

Bought the stuff local...a little cheaper than RockAuto when you figure the shipping.

So the radiator chick called me today...gave me the new radiator song and dance.

I told her to get me an estimate for a record...

Film at 11...

Here’s a thought. Almost all Ford Super Duty diesel trucks have the hose running from 1 side to the other. I know it’s weird as I wouldn’t do it myself. I have seen it done on a few cars. If this car doesn’t make a lot of miles this may be a cheap alternative for you. I have also had the lower hose fitting changed from side to side. The rad shop didn’t bat an eye, just did it. Was fairly cheap also. Kim

I've had to move/modify lower hoses a few times over the years. Ran a 427 Sideoiler with a '48 Lincoln V-12 radiator that had the correct lower hose inlet blocked off...they had two inlet/ outlets back then.

I also had to reroute others on early Fords when we used Mustang radiators and SBM engines.

Here's my latest video showing some issues...I did order a brass hose barb to correct my bypass hose problem.

So the radiator chick called me today...gave me the new radiator song and dance.

I told her to get me an estimate for a record...

Film at 11...
Not sure if you want to go this route...
I do have a later model 440 water pump housing ( outlet on the right ) your welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

Not sure if you want to go this route...
I do have a later model 440 water pump housing ( outlet on the right ) your welcome to it for the cost of shipping.
Thank you but I'm working on a 318.

And I finally realized my brain fart... all 318's are internally balanced. I could only think about the early/ late 340 changes and their switch to cast cranks and external balancing. So my harmonic balancer is good to go.

I'm so far behind schedule with this project I will be lucky to see it move under its own power before next spring...I had hoped to drive it this summer.

Oh well...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back