• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering the front

75 RDRUNR

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I just put new tires/rims on my car and I'm waiting for my new leaf springs. The front is sitting high and I need to lower it. Any suggestions? As seen in the pictures, the rear is squatting and the nose is up. Feels like I'm in a rocket waiting for lift off. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
64867099403--DCA6EC32-7154-4681-9204-59D63EE74608 (1).JPG
64867098032--C5300A56-1B2A-4792-91D7-224194526A64.JPG

Unwind the torsion bars.....looks like there's no engine in it.

Lift the front end off the ground with a Jack first. Clean and lube the threads on the adjuster bolts first. Might possible take a different number of turns side to side.p to get the same result. Like 5-8 turns. You will need a front end alignment afterwards or you will wear the edges off the tires and ruin them.

Lift the front end off the ground with a Jack first. Clean and lube the threads on the adjuster bolts first. Might possible take a different number of turns side to side.p to get the same result. Like 5-8 turns. You will need a front end alignment afterwards or you will wear the edges off the tires and ruin them.
Thank you

I know you’re not asking but those tires are way to short too.
"To short too".
What does this mean?
The tires are a personal choice that the owner made. I'm sure that he never cared to call you to get your input. If he is happy with them, why bust his balls about it?

This car has fore/aft torsion bars like the 1962-72 B body cars. The ride height is easily adjusted. I have read several times that the front end needs to be aligned after a ride height adjustment but I have never done it....and I have never had irregular tire wear. I think that this old adage is based on the belief that the toe changes between full extension and full compression of the suspension. In some cars, it might change more than others. Maybe I am lucky.
Was the front end always that tall? That seems strange.

Last edited:
You can get away with small adjustments but the car in question is way off. Camber will change along with toe when it’s up that high. With no history of how it got like that I would assume no alignment was done anyway for awhile. Going for a gasser look. Looks like the bolts were cranked in the entire way.

If you’re already aligned and you want to go up or down an 1” I wouldn’t worry about alignment.

Adjusting the torsion bars is easy. Measure the distance of the lower control arm pivot point to the floor(on a level floor) and adjust even.
Personal preference,I adjust the driver side a bit higher to make up for the weight of the driver.For me it's 1/4''.
Nice Road Runner. 1975 are seldom seen. I like it.

"To short too".
What does this mean?

Was the front end always that tall? That seems strange.

I guess what I meant was that the tires were too low profile and the overall diameter was too short in order to fill out the wheel well. And I agree he didn’t specifically ask about that but was concerned with the ride height and appearance of the car. I figured that the look of the tire was also a huge contributor to the look of it.

To the OP, for what it’s worth, I love these late model runners, you never see them and yours is cool, once you get the ride heights sorted will be even better.

Agreed that it seems strange to be so tall now, OP-did you do some front end work recently?

I think what I would recommend is to get the rear ride height sorted out first as we may all be viewing the front as too high relative to the rear. Then make any front adjustments thereafter and get an alignment both if you haven’t had one in a long time (or ever) and if you’ve made drastic changes to the ride height. Loosening the LCA nuts prior to drastic adjustments is a good recommendation..

Last edited:
That's a long way to go. I would loosen the lower control arm pivot shaft nuts while it is in the air before unwinding the bars that much.....

That's a long way to go. I would loosen the lower control arm pivot shaft nuts while it is in the air before unwinding the bars that much.....
Someone put it up there to start with but that's still not a bad idea however, I lowered my 66 Belvedere down to within 1" of the LCA bump stops without loosening the LCA pivot shafts. That said, looks like his car is going to be adjusted down way more than mine was lol

Auto Transport Service
Back