• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made a shocking discovery tonight

Coelacanth

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
I put in an order for some front shocks for my '70 Charger on RockAuto.com. I chose Sachs #030 816 as those have been reviewed as very good for the price and the parent manufacturer is German. These are to replace some KYB Gas-A-Just shocks that many reviews state are too stiff. Anyway, RockAuto just so happened to have 1 in stock at a clearance price, and more at the regular price. I bought one of each even though they were both supposed to be Sachs 030816's.

A few days ago, I received a TRW shock, which I wasn't expecting, and today, I received a Sachs shock, which I *was* expecting.

My curiosity got to me and I had to see what was hiding underneath those stickers!

The TRW shock is P/N JGT4192S; the Sachs shock (as expected) is 030 816...going by the stickers.

I fanned the stickers with a hair dryer from the wife (I'm bald, haha!) and removed them to see what was underneath.

Both are P/N: 739090, Made In Mexico.

Just sharing this in case you're looking for front shocks for a wide variety of B-Bodies, the more part numbers you can search for, the better your chances at finding a good deal!

FrontShocksDiscovery.jpg

I put in an order for some front shocks for my '70 Charger on RockAuto.com. I chose Sachs #030 816 as those have been reviewed as very good for the price and the parent manufacturer is German. These are to replace some KYB Gas-A-Just shocks that many reviews state are too stiff. Anyway, RockAuto just so happened to have 1 in stock at a clearance price, and more at the regular price. I bought one of each even though they were both supposed to be Sachs 030816's.

A few days ago, I received a TRW shock, which I wasn't expecting, and today, I received a Sachs shock, which I *was* expecting.

My curiosity got to me and I had to see what was hiding underneath those stickers!

The TRW shock is P/N JGT4192S; the Sachs shock (as expected) is 030 816...going by the stickers.

I fanned the stickers with a hair dryer from the wife (I'm bald, haha!) and removed them to see what was underneath.

Just sharing this in case you're looking for front shocks for a wide variety of B-Bodies, the more part numbers you can search for, the better your chances at finding a good deal!

View attachment 1700731
That is deceitful. :mob:

Hope they work well, love a good deal. i just went with monroe cheapies, haven't driven yet though

View attachment 1700731
That is just shocking. Dang

The story of todays global economy.

Yesterday’s brand names are becoming just offices that run on distribution and mark-ups.

It’s sad really.

Old drag racers trick is ordering Imperial shocks with longer travel, before trying to pick the rear tires off the track.

Made in Mexico using Chinese metal by a German company that can bring it into the country. Its all about marketing.

I don't know why people think the Gas adjust ride firm. I had them on the Coronet and got comments from every passenger how well it rode. I listened to the hype and swapped them out for Bilstein shocks and didn't notice any difference.

The Gas Adjust shocks are on the Cuda and everyone raves about the smooth ride.

I guess I got a set of good ones.

Aren't those Sachs/TRE shocks also gas shocks?

Auto Transport Service
Back