• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modifying an electronic ignition wiring harness

QQBlue1

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
I need to replace the engine wiring harness on my 68 Charger with a small block. The harness looks fairly original with some mods over the years such as the MSD distributor I added and auxiliary temp, oil and alternator gauges. Also, still have the ballast resistor wired in, a voltage regulator and the alternator with one field, the round type not a square back. It's a pretty simply set up. Everything under the dash is a stock replacement harness I installed about 12 years ago.

I have the wiring harness for a big block w/ an electronic ignition sitting on my shelf. Would I run into problems modifying that harness or would I be better off buying the correct harness? Thanks!

The electronic conversion is not without it's obstacles. From a 2 pole ballast to a 4 pole, electronic voltage regulator, square back alt. The Mopar ign module plug in is obviously there for the module. Leads plug directly into a Mopar distributor. Not sure if a big block harness is going to have the leads in the correct positions, but if your modifying it, it should work. I am electrically challenged, I took the easy way out, it was plug and play, almost, '69 Dart.

I need to replace the engine wiring harness on my 68 Charger with a small block. The harness looks fairly original with some mods over the years such as the MSD distributor I added and auxiliary temp, oil and alternator gauges. Also, still have the ballast resistor wired in, a voltage regulator and the alternator with one field, the round type not a square back. It's a pretty simply set up. Everything under the dash is a stock replacement harness I installed about 12 years ago.

I have the wiring harness for a big block w/ an electronic ignition sitting on my shelf. Would I run into problems modifying that harness or would I be better off buying the correct harness? Thanks!
Modify the correct aftermarket wiring harness (my 2-cents).

I always like to fabricate my own. I do not understand why so many folks are ignorant to the wiring (of cars or houses). It is not "rocket science" and many sources of educational materials are available to learn from.
Mike

Modify a BB harness to become on a SB harness is easier than backwards. The differences are coil and dist location, so doesn’t even need to cut the wires on this case, just untape the harness get the propper terminals to the rear of the engine hiding the excess down the new tape layer.

Auto Transport Service
Back