• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 383 carter carburetor

steve maluk

Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
hello gang
Need some help with carter carburetor
i have a 383 69 RR when i get a decent idle in park as i drop into gear it really drops close to stalling out. If i increase the idle in gear when in park it races and wants to diesel on hot days.
any help would be good thanks
sjm

If you still have a points distributor then check your dwell. As the wear block rubs down it changes dwell and timing. ( Retards the timing)
After dwell is adjusted then check the timing.
Try around 10 degrees Before Top Dead Center.
Then readjust the base idle and mixture.

Either way the dieseling is a sign of carbon buildup and possibly poor coolant flow through the heads.

Also check that your exhaust heat riser valve is not stuck shut. Then you would have too much heat under the carb which could cause your symptoms.

If the distributor points are properly set, the more initial timing you can put into the motor the stronger it will idle. Do you have a good timing light, preferably one of the dial back type that allows power timing? I run about 16/17 degrees initial timing on my motors but I had to use an FOB advance limiter plate in the distributors to reduce centrifugal advance, to do so. If your initial timing is low and you can’t increase it without pinging, then you might try putting your vacuum advance on manifold vacuum instead of ported vacuum and try that to see if it’s any better overall. If not then just switch it back. On manifold vacuum it will pull in more advance at idle which should strengthen the idle and reduce rpm loss when putting the car in gear.

In any case you will need to keep your idle in neutral rpm down to control run-on. You can try shutting the motor off in gear and then shift into park. It may be carbon but many of the old high performance engines will diesel if the idle it set too high.

What camshaft? Stock or otherwise? Sounds like a torque converter problem...too tight, not a carb problem!

motor has been converted to electronic ignition i always smell like gas after a round to town (rich) what is a general turn out from seat on mixture screws? does turning in screws lean motor / to avoid the rich smell what is the best timing adv or retard
thanks
sjm

Auto Transport Service
Back