• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar engineering that ticks you off!

ramairthree

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Well,
I had gotten pretty sick of GM A bodies and what a pain the underdash AC duct is. That is my pet peeve with them. You can't do a think under the dash without dropping the whole ducting.

On AMC, on a Javelin, the cowl is only accessible through the dinky hole the wiper motor goes on to. No lift off mesh. And the clip to get the motor back on the wiper arm transmission is a curse word inducing escapade.

Right now, trying to sort out electrical, I have decided my pet peeve with a third gen b body is the tail lights, etc. being behind the bumper instead of the easy task of just accessing them in the trunk.

Any other pet peeves you guys have or expect me to run into?

Get away from GM products? I know when it comes to me working on GM stuff, I have nothing but black thumbs.

If frustration sets in, go work on some Pommy Crap! (their engineering is as funky as their teeth)....your mopar will seem like a dream come true in comparison when you return.

If frustration sets in, go work on some Pommy Crap! (their engineering is as funky as their teeth)....your mopar will seem like a dream come true in comparison when you return.

You know why Brits like warm beer? Because the same company that made their automotive electrics, made refridgerators also.... (That would be Lucas).

Most everything with the exception of their factory H.D. drivetains which were bullit proof compared to the other manufacturers back in the day.

Their sheet metal fitment was terrible, the wiring sucks (bulkhead connectors and the ameter wiring) door and window fitment, paint, interior quality was fair compared to all the others.

BUT, they ran great and were dependable.

I'm not all that impressed with all the vacuum operated heater controls. Seems like a cable would have been simpler and more reliable.

Removing the power brake booster can be a pita on some B bodies.

Exhaust manifold bolt holes that go through to water jackets. The electrical system's never really given me any trouble.

Lifters clattering on the new 5.7L Hemi at idle - sounds worse than a 305 Chevy after 50,000 miles ....

Could be worse....

89 Pontiac Fireturd fuel pump.

Drop exhaust, heat shield and rear axle, then fuel tank...after disconnecting all 4 fuel and vapor lines buried up in corner of rear end subframe.

Or lift carpet in back, cut access panel and lines then lift out pump.

My 89 Cutlass Calais with the Iron Duke 4-banger - oil filter was in the pan. You had to take an access plug around 5 inches around out and wiggle the filter out with a pair of pliers. No way to not get oil down your arm.

Tried to change plugs on a friend's transverse V6 Lumina. Front three - piece of cake. Rear three - no freakin' way, I could barely touch them let alone get a socket on them.

My 89 Cutlass Calais with the Iron Duke 4-banger - oil filter was in the pan. You had to take an access plug around 5 inches around out and wiggle the filter out with a pair of pliers. No way to not get oil down your arm.

Tried to change plugs on a friend's transverse V6 Lumina. Front three - piece of cake. Rear three - no freakin' way, I could barely touch them let alone get a socket on them.

those v6s sucked always took off the top motor mount in the front and tilted motor for room!

My 66 Coronet tail lights look identical from 1 foot away, but don't swap left to right because of an almost impercieveable radius only on the top (or bottom, I forget).

Why would they spend the engineering R&D time and the production time, not to mention stocking space) to tool two seperate parts that are so similar that you can't actually see any difference???

Although you gotta give props for the advanced engineering from MoPar. While they usually played catch up in the styling department (with a few notable exceptions like the 57 models that crushed GM and Ford in sales when new), here are some examples of inovative engineering, in no particular order:

Tuned intake manifolds- how long did it take for that to go mainstream?
Even MoPar got away from it for decades.

Aerodynamic door handles- beat GM by half a year.

Spoiler- was there one before 1966.5?

Electronic control ignition- Lean Burn- who else had it then?
Now they all do.

Factory ratchet shifters- anyone else...anyone...Porsche autostik, maybe- 15 years later.

Unibody- who else did full size cars and wagons in 64/65?

Fresh air hoods that actually work...well

My 66 Coronet tail lights look identical from 1 foot away, but don't swap left to right because of an almost impercieveable radius only on the top (or bottom, I forget).

Why would they spend the engineering R&D time and the production time, not to mention stocking space) to tool two seperate parts that are so similar that you can't actually see any difference???

Although you gotta give props for the advanced engineering from MoPar. While they usually played catch up in the styling department (with a few notable exceptions like the 57 models that crushed GM and Ford in sales when new), here are some examples of inovative engineering, in no particular order:

Tuned intake manifolds- how long did it take for that to go mainstream?
Even MoPar got away from it for decades.

Aerodynamic door handles- beat GM by half a year.

Spoiler- was there one before 1966.5?

Electronic control ignition- Lean Burn- who else had it then?
Now they all do.

Factory ratchet shifters- anyone else...anyone...Porsche autostik, maybe- 15 years later.

Unibody- who else did full size cars and wagons in 64/65?

Fresh air hoods that actually work...well

I'll add to that, how 'bout electronic fuel injection (Bendix) in the late '50s? Alright, it didn't exactly go according to plan but hey, that was a LONG time ago.

ABS in the early '70s (Sure-Brake on Imperials)?
4 wheel disc brakes (again, early '70s)

If I'm not mistaken, Chrysler was one of the first to introduce cruise control as well.

Fold down rear seats?

Any before the 64 Barracuda?

Again now they almost all have them.

I don't think any of it ticks me off. It's just part of the deal.
But....
Freekin door hinges.
Freekin rust at the smell of table salt.
Freekin BIG A$$ tranny humps for stick cars. (You could set up a model train display on one).

How about badass cars that you don't see any where except mopar nats ha-ha thats my favorite thing. Most people that see a 67 charger probably think its a toyota concept car ha-ha-ha. My least favorite engineering thing is probably that its hard to find parts sometimes.

Auto Transport Service
Back