• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor oil,pooled rear Valley Pan

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Most likely source? Good I dropped the wrench or would not have discovered.

image.jpg

Time to change the bathtub I used the 2 paper gaskets with the last change black rtv. All good you may not need the gaskets with stock bolts but the extra insurance is priceless.

Optional corrosion proofing. And......it's a renewable resource.

Could be coming through the intake bolt threads or around ports. I always put some permatex or similar around ports and seal threads with the same or pipe dope. In all my 30+ yrs I could never get paper gaskets WITH a valley pan using factory heads. Factory is valley pan only.

Forgot to ask about the dip stick tube leak. All OK?

Dipstick tube is ok. Tx

9/16th Intake bolts tight, won't budge.

Last edited:
Just because they are tight doesn't mean oil can't capillary up the threads over time. Still a lot of oil so probably should pull the intake and reseal. Easy job.

That is true I had a bolt weep oil up from the threads main reason I put in the paper gaskets to help fill in inperfection gaps between the metals. You can also use some thread sealant on the bolts if you don't want the gaskets. Remember the corners need good at the edges of the manifold

I have installed many a valley pan gasket, and once in a while I do get oil accumulating on the valley pan, usually near the rear of intake. That indicates a leak from the BOTTOM of the valley pan, where the cam is throwing oil upwards. With that in mind, it seems the only place it could be coming from is the bolts themselves, as has been stated. No other way I can see that oil could get from below the pan to the top of it. Thanks for the input, as I have always wondered how this was happening.

- - - Updated - - -

And I have never been able to get the paper gaskets to fit, unless the intake side of the head has been milled.

Valley Pan and associated gaskets by FelPro replaced. Valley Pan is dry now, problem solved. Shakedown was over 100 miles in high 80 degree temperature with a few romps for good measure. :)

Never did find exact source, but it was at the very rear of the pan.

Last time I saw that was due to a crack in the valley pan.

Curious did you use the paper gaskets with the bath tube? Glad its all good now :)

A little better than paper. It was the kit that was recommended with the pan. Winchester Auto. Only scary thing was that it said "Mopar-British Leyland" on the box. Hope it meant the Jenson.

Half way home from Los Angeles, I noticed an odor of oil. Oil in the Valley Pan again. Anyone have a theory on the pictures? A crack or gouge appeared right in the middle of the pan itself. This after about 5000 miles of good service, and right in the middle of about a 400 mile trip. I made an add and drove home. Good oil pressure.

image.jpg image.jpg

My theory may be a bit challenging to grasp, but here goes: 1st off, when these cars were new, Chrysler stuffed this weird pillow underneath the intake. my speculation is, is that the weird pillow thing was a dampener to keep the valley tray from vibrating from the engine running and from crank case pressure pushing up in it.

my suspicion is that as the valley tray vibrate and crank case pressure mist makes its way past the inside, between the intake flange and heads and condenses on the under side of the intake and pools up in the top side of the tray.

Auto Transport Service
Back