• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1964 Stingray

terrywalker

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
I must confess I haven't always been in to Mopars. In 1964 I owned a 1964 Stingray. Its ID number is D438274 abd was built on April 14, 1964. My parents bought it for me when I was in elementary school and it was the first time I had a new means of transportation, always a hand- me- down before. In 1966, I changed the rear wheel to a slick, changed the driver's seat from white to blue and the steering grip from white to blue. The blue Stingray was a lead-in to my blue 1971 Challenger convertible I bought in 1972, my 74 Charger I bought in 1987 and my 2015 Challenger I bought in 2015. For about $1000, I can restore it back to it's original 1964 configuration. I value your opinions. Leave it as is, just replace the parts that have surface rust, or put it back to the way it was when I got it. I can just buy the white seat, the white grips and the knobby type tires and keep them just in case. Yes or no or... Photo of it taken today. The other photo shows my other blue vehicles.
Terry W.

1964 Schwinn Sting-Ray.jpg

Charger Challenger Sept 2022 -1.jpg

I must confess I haven't always been in to Mopars. In 1964 I owned a 1964 Stingray. Its ID number is D438274 abd was built on April 14, 1964. My parents bought it for me when I was in elementary school and it was the first time I had a new means of transportation, always a hand- me- down before. In 1966, I changed the rear wheel to a slick, changed the driver's seat from white to blue and the steering grip from white to blue. The blue Stingray was a lead-in to my blue 1971 Challenger convertible I bought in 1972, my 74 Charger I bought in 1987 and my 2015 Challenger I bought in 2015. For about $1000, I can restore it back to it's original 1964 configuration. I value your opinions. Leave it as is, just replace the parts that have surface rust, or put it back to the way it was when I got it. I can just buy the white seat, the white grips and the knobby type tires and keep them just in case. Yes or no or... Photo of it taken today. The other photo shows my other blue vehicles.
Terry W.

View attachment 1679309

View attachment 1679310
Thanks for it not being a Corvette Stingray....I was worried we'd see pictures of you with white walk socks and white sneakers...... :lol:

Thanks for it not being a Corvette Stingray....I was worried we'd see pictures of you with white walk socks and white sneakers...... :lol:
In 2018, I was at MCACN in Chicago and I saw a section where people had restored bikes. That got my interest a little about my old bike which my parents had kept for me and I retrieved many years ago. I didn't realize they bought big money in some instances. The Sting-Ray deluxe was first introduced in 1964 and ran another year before it was changed to another model with multiple speeds. The first year of the Sting-Ray was 1964 and had no fenders, etc. The white wider banana seat was discontinued after 1964 and 1965 saw the frame colored narrow seat like I have on it now. I had no idea it is kind of a rare bike like my cars are rare in their configuration.
Terry W.

I'd leave the bike the way it is. How it exists now, is it's history... as you so stated. If it could talk, it would tell us about all the adventures it took you back in the day. Leave it be. It's a timepiece to a bygone era.

Leave it as it is now. Switching back isn't going to make it original. I have been buying the repos lately when they go on big sales at Amazon.
New:
Lemon Peeler
Orange Krate
Coal Krate
Grey Ghost

Not brand new but like new:
Grape Krate

Used and modified:
Pea Picker

My first Sting Ray I bought used for $5 when I was a kid. I put a lot of miles on that thing. Lots of jumps too.

flat.jpg

I'd like to buy some of the weird Sting Ray knockoffs.

weird.jpg

Ahh yes, and the hemmed jean- shorts with the 90s cellphone holster/ golf shirt and a ball cap that looks extremely out of place.

or white calf high compression socks in (hippies/old mans)
Berkenstocks/sandals is even worse, showing off you "silver" award :poke:
with a 1/2 unbuttoned & open silk shirt & big gold watche & chains too
:carrot:

Schwinn 'Sting Rays' are pretty cool, especially when they got into the 'Krates'

this could have been me in 1968
damn near looks like me a 9-10 y/o
Schwinn Krate bikes 5 speed Dragster models 1968 orange krate example OCR.jpg

Schwinn Stingray Krate-Bike Advert. #1.png

Schwinn Stingray Bike Advert. #2.jpg

Schwinn Krate bikes 5 speed Dragster models 1969 examples.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they'll reissue the Cotton Picker. Racially insensitive.

I read there were too many testicle injuries with that shifter.

cotton.jpeg

I have a really rare OCC Chopper Sting Ray bike knockoff still in the packaging called the Big Mo'.

mo.jpg

Terry, on that blue Sting Ray you've got to raise the seat as high as possible and the handle bars should be straight up and down. To be really cool the handle bars can have a slight forward tilt. No white walls and the cheater slick is a must.

I remember these Huffy knockoffs.

huffy.jpg

I'd like to put Ram's Horns on one of my Sting Rays.

rams.jpg

Last edited:
Terry, on that blue Sting Ray you've got to raise the seat as high as possible and the handle bars should be straight up and down. To be really cool the handle bars can have a slight forward tilt. No white walls and the cheater slick is a must.
That is a whitewall slick I put on the back around 1966 or 67. That's the original front tire is on it still, as it came with whitewalls, with a whitewall knobby on the back when new. Are you saying get rid of the whitewall tires? The original wider, white seat was uncomfortable to sit on and ride. This blue seat has the Schwinn nameplate on the back. I really like this bike. I wonder if I can sill ride it ( I'm 71 years old now) once I get it all cleaned, greased and new wheels and tires. There's a few broken spokes on these rims and they have some areas of heavy surface rust which is why I want to replace them.
Terry W.

my 55 schwinn 26 '' is a corvette , still in oem black with white pin strips and lettering on the chain guard says '' corvette '' in script . i'll post some pics of it .

Here’s my ‘68 Lemon Peeler with the super rare pogo seat post that was recalled. I still ride it to car shows.
28AEFA5E-8B89-4F87-9710-69462BF68DB4.jpeg

Terry W.

View attachment 1679309

View attachment 1679310
With the collectors, repainting them drops the value. They think that’s the way to verify if a bike is OG. More important for them on the Krates as they were just a regular 5 speed 20” frame.

With the collectors, repainting them drops the value. They think that’s the way to verify if a bike is OG. More important for them on the Krates as they were just a regular 5 speed 20” frame.
I wasn't going to repaint it. I'm going to replace the rusty wheels, worn tires and tubes and go from there.
Terry W.

I wasn't going to repaint it. I'm going to replace the rusty wheels, worn tires and tubes and go from there.
Terry W.
I forget the name of it but the collectors use a rust remover that does wonders on really badly rusted chrome on the Schwinns of that era. Really good triple plated chrome on those bikes compared to the **** on the Chinese repops. And spokes are available to replace the ones you are missing.

There's a lot of videos showing how to restore the wheels. A cheap way is some naval jelly and a brush. I have a couple of new back fenders I'm going to sell. I think I have one rear seat bracket with the springs. Also new. Yes, the chrome is not as good but it looks fine when new.

Yes, don't repaint it no matter what. As far as the slick you can get one with two wavy tread lines for cheap but the full slick (no lines) are expensive. Schwinn must have a patent on that. A front tire is cheap. I'm 67 and can still ride mine. I only ride the Pea Picker (two speed Bendix axle) the rest have never been ridden.

440 you can get a 1/6th die cast of the Apple, Orange Krate and the Lemon Peeler.

Last edited:
These bikes are great at huge car shows like the Hot Rod Rock and Rumble. You could never walk that whole show.

I never thought so many Mopar guys were also knowledgeable about Stingray bikes, I haven't seen the smooth whitewall Slik like I have on my bike for sale anywhere. Mine is still in good shape with just the whitewall yellowed some. Here's a couple pictures of it.

Stingray Slik 1.jpg

Stingray Slik 2.jpg

I just went out and put air in the tires which were deflated when the bike was hung up in storage about 55 years ago. They held air. I rode it for a short distance and adjusted the handlebars vertical. Here's some more photos. I'm excited to get this bike back on the road. I looked up under the seat and saw some dried mud from when I last road it in the 1960s. Maybe I'll leave the dried Ohio mud there.
Terry W.

Sting-Ray Bike 1.jpg

Sting-Ray Bike 2.jpg

Sting-Ray Bike 3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back