• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 71 SSP! Any advice accepted!

Unsure what you mean. Can’t really access anything internally as I can’t open it to adjust if that’s what you mean?

The two screws that hold the lock mechanism.
Loosen them and the entire thing slides.

The two screws that hold the lock mechanism.
Loosen them and the entire thing slides.
Ahh so I have to be inside the glovebox first. I can’t get it open to get access to that mechanism at all. I don’t want to force it open.

Now I don't remember if the latch on the dash has the adjustment.

Turn the key/knob until it clicks, and then keep it turned and pull hard.
Maybe use a wooden spatula.
If it doesn't click, push in.

Honestly these pictures make this seem very doable. How long was this process and how was it lining everything up correctly after, (putting torsion bars back through)
Less than 2 hours to cut out and weld back in the crossmember. But, I had donor sections to scab in. If you are creating your pieces from unbent metal, add a couple of hours.

Those outer sections didn't interfere with the torsion bar sockets so I didn't have to touch them.

If you cut out the rot and keep the cutout part in good shape it would be simple to make a pattern for the new metal from the piece.

My 71 cowl looked like yours. The problem was worsened because the lower drains were plugged w/pine needles so it rotted the lip accross the lower cowl & firewall as well. I replaced the firewall with an new E-body unit. It wasnt identical in the windshield area & had to be lightly modified. I also picked up an E-body cowl. The top was completely different so I cut any bad metal in my cowl & scabbed in new metal from the new cowl. Unfortunately, I had to patch across the windshield channel as well,like you'll end up doing. The E-body channel is different enough it wouldn't work. If it was me & had to do it again,I would try to find a dry, western used cowl with a good windshield channel. It'd save a ton of work. Again,E-body parts can be made to work but at the end of the day how much is time worth after purchasing a repop cowl just to cut up?
I'd also want to stress that taking the cowl off for repair isn't that difficult with the windshield out, but if the firewall can't be reasonably patched & needs replaced, there is a lot more work to it. I'm betting there's more rot in the firewall than you can see. Dont get discouraged, create a plan & set goals.
Good luck, there's plenty of ppl here to assist along the way.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back