• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Rust Valley Restorers story.

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
So I’ve mentioned before how we have such a small population up here in the far north that it’s not at all uncommon to be in line at the coffee shop behind stars of reality shows. My best friends cousin who I’ve known for decades stars on one of the Yukon Gold series. It’s very surreal seeing them on TV and then visiting with them and catching up.
Today when I returned from walking my dog another friend was waiting in the driveway. As he approached I could see that he was in conversation on his cell phone. “Here,” he says, handing me the phone “Mike wants to talk to you about your car.”
I proceeded to have a long, pleasant conversation about my Wannabee with Mike, star of the show Rust Valley Restorers. He asked for lots of pictures, which we sent.
He was very nice to talk to. He sounds exactly like he is on TV.

My brother and I had a 71 superbee that ended up in his hands.. one of the orange ones..
An old high school buddy works near him. I like the northern communities

I have know Mike Hall for about 40 plus years and visited his shop once but talked to him on occasion
His cash is good

Was he the dude that looks like Ron Jeremy or Dee Snider?

Saw him while sitting in the 300 at MATS Vegas.

46C31630-840E-4558-AD8B-20E58456F0C7.png

Was he the dude that looks like Ron Jeremy or Dee Snider?
Mike Hall resembles Dee Snider....while Avery 'with the very punchable face' Shoaf resembles a very porky and tuckered out Ron Jeremy on a bad day. :lol:

Mike Hall resembles Dee Snider....while Avery 'with the very punchable face' Shoaf resembles a very porky and tuckered out Ron Jeremy on a bad day. :lol:
A cross between Gallagher and Ron, dressed in Robert Pickton signature series boots.
( pig boots)

I think a lot of people would like to punch him after some of the stupid stuff he did on the show - smashing the 727 by not strapping it to a lift when removing, almost destroying the old guy's Dodge Power Wagon with a cut-off wheel instead of wrenches....wrecking Mike's shop garage door flashing by driving a skid-steer into it....I could go on.... :rolleyes:

The trans drop was a good one . Staged? Maybe

The trans drop was a good one . Staged? Maybe
It makes you wonder how much is staged.

I also question some of the dollar figures thrown out when he buys and sells cars. Buying that purple 'Cuda for 16k and flipping a couple of episodes later for 25k without doing anything to it sounds a little excessive. Almost like the price differential was exaggerated to generate some hype.

Turning up at Avery's mother's farm with a transport trailer was suspiciously staged - how did they know they would be bringing something back. Lots of miles to drag a trailer around for no reason....or playing the off-chance.

I think I should apply for a position as 'Continuity Director' on that show if they re-boot it. So many errors in the show with cars out of sequence. Maybe I just have a tiny bit of OCD.... but handing over a car finished and then seeing it still in the paint shop several episodes later smacks of non-car guys in the Production team. :rolleyes:

Staged….
Those shows are REAL, man!

There was a show called Desert Car Kings about 10 years ago. It featured a classic “recycle” yard in Arizona north of Phoenix. One episode had them fixing up a 64-66 Barracuda and talking about how expensive the rear windows are.
They pulled the window out and had it leaned up against something, then it fell and broke. It was totally staged to build drama for the build.
Some of these shows have people that actually can act and play the part well. DCK had guys that may have been great junkyard workers but they were hard to watch.

Wasn't Mike's character he plays on Rust Valley Restorers
allegedly once a firefighter up there somewhere ?

he seemed more like a hoarder, that came into $$$ somehow
bought way too many cars, had to liquidate when the state/county authorities
whatever that it was, after he had just built that shop (?)
The country (whomever/powers to bee) made him sell &/or clear it out,
downsize Then he needed to move, again, after the sale to some other guy

Mike does seem like a nice enough guy
don't do well with extra $$, spends it on yet another car
that will almost certainly never get built/restored

I never thought any of the builds were all that great from his (Mike's) shop
but he has a show on TV (people I know that build nice stuff don't)
That Avery & his annoying laugh, is only tolerable for a couple times
sorry not trying to belittle the guy/s, just an observation of a TV show

show did seem a lil' scripted like @kiwigtx said
maybe the writers portrayed him in that way

anyway carry on

Last edited:
Mike Hall worked in the rock blasting industry if I recall. Made good $$ and would buy cars as they came up. Dragged em home and had quite a few. I believe he was getting grief from his other half and tried to sell his property along with the cars. I believe the asking price was 1 million $$$ or something. No takers but a proposal for a reality show was presented and the rest is history. He can also be seen in the background on the show Highway to Hell where he's clearing rocks and bolders from a rock slide. How do I know all this ?? I read it on the internet. Lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back