• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with wheels

fmontez1

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I currently have some crappy aluminum slots, and I'm going to buy new police wheels for my 68 Coronet.

Thing is, I have 295/60/15 in the back right now, I don't know what types of wheels they are, they came with the tires. I have a feeling they're wrong for my car, because the lugnuts back out, and the studs don't seem to come out far enough.

My question: If I wanted to buy police wheels, but didn't want to spend more money on tires, would it make sense to buy two 15x10 so I can fit the 295s back there?

Would a 15 x 10 (5.5 inch BS) fit a stock 68 coronet? If I wanted to get more normal sized tires later, could I fit something like a 245/60 15 on the wheel? What would be a good front wheel size, 15x 8? 7?

Link to wheels I'm talking about.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-69-5012052

I'm going to get fronts next paycheck. Just trying to figure out how to get two Police wheels on back of my car, while keeping the budget under $350.

I can order two wheels from Summit right now, free shipping, for about 300 total.

What do you guys say?

- Fred.

Last edited:
Slots (and most aluminum wheels from that vintage) take lug nuts that look kinda like a mushroom, the shank sits in the wheel, unlike an acorn style nut. If you are using acorns, the wheels could easily come off.

I currently have some crappy aluminum slots, and I'm going to buy new police wheels for my 68 Coronet.

Thing is, I have 295/60/15 in the back right now, I don't know what types of wheels they are, they came with the tires. I have a feeling they're wrong for my car, because the lugnuts back out, and the studs don't seem to come out far enough.

My question: If I wanted to buy police wheels, but didn't want to spend more money on tires, would it make sense to buy two 15x10 so I can fit the 295s back there?

Would a 15 x 10 (5.5 inch BS) fit a stock 68 coronet? If I wanted to get more normal sized tires later, could I fit something like a 245/60 15 on the wheel? What would be a good front wheel size, 15x 8? 7?

Link to wheels I'm talking about.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-69-5012052

I'm going to get fronts next paycheck. Just trying to figure out how to get two Police wheels on back of my car, while keeping the budget under $350.

I can order two wheels from Summit right now, free shipping, for about 300 total.

What do you guys say?

- Fred.

295 will fit 10" rim, 5.5" BS will fit the 68
8" front rim is a good size with a 245 tire for some meat at about 5" BS for the front

i have a 19 x 10 rear wheel with 5.6" BS and a 295 tire on my '68 and there is still about 1.5" each side of my tire before it hits anything. you canfit a 305 tire and still be good

8" front rim is a good size with a 245 tire for some meat at about 5" BS for the front

i have a 19 x 10 rear wheel with 5.6" BS and a 295 tire on my '68 and there is still about 1.5" each side of my tire before it hits anything. you canfit a 305 tire and still be good

This answers just about everything. Much appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Slots (and most aluminum wheels from that vintage) take lug nuts that look kinda like a mushroom, the shank sits in the wheel, unlike an acorn style nut. If you are using acorns, the wheels could easily come off.

I have those mushroom lugnuts on there... The shank doesn't seem to grab enough of the stud, and the hub and center of the wheel seem off just a bit. I'm scared of them now and was wanting police wheels anyway. Thanks for the info though!

Any idea if the 15x10, 5.5" backspacing will fit a '69 Super Bee? I heard both yes and no.

So I looked through a ton of junk, and found a spare tire on an OEM wheel. Going to make a nice spare.
Tomorrow, I'll order up the two Police wheels, 15x10 and have my 295/50/15 (I checked) mounted. Hopefully by this weekend, I'l be rolling on new wheels. Then in a couple of weeks, the fronts. Sweeet.

Thanks for the info :headbang:

glad all the info was thrown out there.just for future info,the old slotted mags(i have a set)use the long shank lug nuts.you prob have short shank lugs on there and that is why they loosen up.they dont grab enough of the stud.

Any idea if the 15x10, 5.5" backspacing will fit a '69 Super Bee? I heard both yes and no.

68-70 wheel wells and diffs were all pretty much same i was told, which means they would fit fine, 5.6" BS will put wheel perfect centre if it is a 10" rim this will give about 1.5-2" each side of the wheel.
i believe the well is about 14-15" wide so you can fit big rubber under them

Thanks man!

A couple weeks later, a few hundred dollars out the window, and I've got 15x10 police wheels, with 295/50/15 in the back now, and I'm almost bummed I didn't go with a taller tire hahah

Seriously thanks for the vote of confidence, they look awesome, and it was your direct answer and message that gave me the confidence tot go for it.

I have a 68 Satellite and want to do the same with the rear tire/wheel combo. 8 3/4 rear. The wheel wells will be the same as a 68 coronet correct? Sorry to ask in your thread and I know it's 3+ years old.

I have a 68 Satellite and want to do the same with the rear tire/wheel combo. 8 3/4 rear. The wheel wells will be the same as a 68 coronet correct? Sorry to ask in your thread and I know it's 3+ years old.

Hey no worries. After I had the wheels in for a while, and put the interior and a passenger in, they rubbed BADLY.

I had to get heavy duty springs in the back, and if I was gonna do it again, I would get slightly narrower tires.

The rims fit great though, the dodge police wheels from Wheel Vintiques are the correct backspacing and all that. I would look that up for those dimensions, and yes it should be the same geometry for a 68 satellite.

15x8 4 1/2 backspace are on sale at Jegs $82. Got mine for a 275 60 15. Going to run the 7 inch in front with a 235 60 15. Should look good with doggies.

Thanks fmontez1. What tires would ya go with if ya did it again?

Thanks for the heads up wagonman!

275's in the rear sound about right. 295's are nice but just a hair too wide.

Auto Transport Service
Back