• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Dodge Chargers from FCA; Advice

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
I know a few of you good folks have late model 4 door Chargers. I am mulling over trading my wife's SUV for a new 2019 or new 2020 Dodge Charger for her. Do these late model Chargers have any trouble spots or trouble spots from prior years? For example, electrical Gremlins and computer/software Gremlins? I have my eyes on several different models having these engine/trans...any engine/trans issues?:
  • 3.6L V6 24V VVT, Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (8HP50)
  • 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT, Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (8HP70)
  • 6.4L 6.4L V8 SRT HEMI MDS; not sure which trans it has in it. The car is in transit to the dealership.
The only must have items besides 4 doors, a/c, a good/great stereo and a "purty color" are:
Navigation.
Heated front & rear seats.
Heated steering wheel.

Most of the Chargers that caught our attention were either octane red or black. Has FCA had any primer/paint/clearcoat issues over the past several years?

Also, we are not considering Durango or Jeeps.

Feel free to send a PM instead of replying here.

Thanks in advance!

The 5.7 is a proven winner. Good mileage, great power. The chassis is a proven design too. No problems with paint. The only problems that we have had with our 2015 Challenger have been the trunk latch and the radio/info screen. The radio kept working and the backup camera worked but the display was blank, just black. The A/C controls are on the screen so while they still worked, you were back to knobs and "feel" rather than specifically choosing the temperature you wanted. Both were covered under warranty.
Overall, the RWD Mopars are great cars.

We have a 2018 SXT Plus Leather. The 3.6 is a fantastic engine with plenty of power and gets terrific gas mileage. Traded in a 2015 SXT Plus Challenger on it. Ours is B5 Blue.

Ours is a little older (2012) Charger R/T w/5.7 hemi, loaded.
Sitting here thinking, I can't come up with a single issue to report in almost 90k miles.
The car is deceptively fast, gets surprising fuel economy and is seriously well constructed, getting all the stars in fed crash testing.
33759694_1949842601695285_5174316830008803328_o.jpg

My dad has an 06 Daytona RT 5.7 Hemi bought it brand new. It has over 203000 miles on it and never no major issues.

My 2012 Chally with the 5.7 has been flawless since new.

The drive train has been great on my 2017 Challenger, the 8 speed auto is nice. However the body has a lot of snap on pieces, when I wash my car by hand, it feels cheap and flimsy like I might break something if I'm not careful. That could be the case with most new cars though.
My car has about 27,000 miles and just recently I noticed an annoying popping noise behind the dash, sounds like maybe a broken weld. Only issue so far.

70D4E23F-4E87-467F-B377-1A418BB2A0E1.jpeg
Bought this 2007 5.7 RT new, still have it, never any problems other than power sunroof got out of sequence and wouldn’t close flush, found the code on line and fixed in a couple minutes, been a great ride

DeltaV, what are you waiting for??

:thumbsup:

I have a 2019 Durango Gt Plus, 3.6, awd, I love it!! It has all the power I need and everything in it I need. Second row buckets and third row if you need it. They're narrow and fit nicely in a smaller garage.
20190919_135910.jpg

See all these? All good. The 2 5.7’s the best. That’s about 2k HP combined.
DB4C9B66-4365-4B28-9690-DD1CF2274F8E.jpeg

Last edited:
If I were buying a Charger right now, I'd get a GT with the Plus Group. I have a Scat Pack Challenger, so I don't need another muscle car and the 3.6 is all you need in a family car. Same horsepower as a '71 440 and torque somewhere between a '71 318 and 360. I have a 5.7 in my Grand Cherokee and it's a great engine, but I've been shopping Durangos and, if I buy one, I'd get the 3.6.

Last edited:
I sold my 2015 Challenger and bought a new 2020 Charger. I don't have enough miles on it to talk about reliability, but I like it.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

If you have the means to pick up an SRT Charger....do it! I haven't heard of any major issues with any of them.

View attachment 963488 Bought this 2007 5.7 RT new, still have it, never any problems other than power sunroof got out of sequence and wouldn’t close flush, found the code on line and fixed in a couple minutes, been a great ride
My wife found that one day while at work and had already done the "fix" by the time she got
home that evening, before I even knew there was a problem.
I think I'm a bad influence on her.... :)

One other piece of advice:
These cars both weigh in excess of two tons (4000 lbs. +).
The difference in how they drive with the six bangers in comparison to the hemi is dramatic.
Keep in mind, all ancillary systems (suspensions, brakes, etc.) are upgraded when choosing
an R/T, SRT, Scat Pak, Hellcat, etc. as well, as are the trim levels.
Also keep in mind that the 5.7 will carry either the Charger or the Challenger easier than the six,
with all the benefits that carries - at not much of a fuel economy penalty (our 5.7 with the older
5 speed auto gets 20 city/29 hwy, for example).
Finally, at trade in time, the engine does play a significant role as well.

25A3F979-FA27-4A9F-A260-6AB65279C0CD.jpeg
I like the GT too. But with MPG like this I’ll take the V8.

Auto Transport Service
Back