• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Dodge Chargers from FCA; Advice

Congrats!!! That's one beautiful car!! It looks fast sitting still. I'm sure it's plenty quick, how hp is the RT?

The window sticker only lists the engine as:
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine.

The Dodge Charger brochure I downloaded from Dodge shows:
370 hP and 395 ft-lb of torque.

The wife is really excited about her new car!

I'd be excited too!! That's as much hp as you need. Hows it feel, looks ready to rumble. They're just really nice cars and I know the more she drives it the more she's going to love it!!

Feels great! Very solid. Sounds great too!!

We haven't had a new car in 30 years!

I had a new 2010 R/T Challenger 5.7 and manual. in town it got 16, and 24 travelling to the east coast and back. When I sold it the average MPG
20161005_185713.jpg
was the same.
It never got better, nice car though. I bought a 2016 SXT Plus with the 3.6, and out of the box it gets 24 city, and 31 hwy with 100 miles on it on a 2000 mile road trip cruising 70-80 mph.I never pay attention to the mileage estimate on the dash, as it is notoriously optimistic, showing 26 city plus all the time. I check the old fashion way, tank to tank and using old fashioned math.
I lost interest in the Hemi for that reason. The challenger as is with the six is a great car, and 5,000 less sticker price SXT Plus VS R/T. The charger question is another one, but I don't care four four door cars, so I don't have any input in that area. I agree they are a great car, selling over 120,000 last year maybe? They are certainly a more Impressive Cop car than the lousy chevys I see running around!

Challengers are great, but if you'd like to haul four people around forget it. The back seat is very comfortable, plenty of trunk space. For the family that doesn't have or want two or three cars, the Charger gets it done, in one package.

Challengers are great, but if you'd like to haul four people around forget it. The back seat is very comfortable, plenty of trunk space. For the family that doesn't have or want two or three cars, the Charger gets it done, in one package.
That says it all, right there. The Charger is more versatile; the Challenger has the sporty image thing going on.
BTW, the Charger is slightly smaller in some dimensions and slightly lighter in weight.
One thing I've always fussed about with the Challenger is just how dang fat it is, both in dimensions and weight.
Check out pics of one sitting next to the original Challenger and you'll see what I mean.

My new Charger is longer than my Challenger. I'm sure it's got a couple extra pounds too.

I think you're right. Specs show the old Hellcat Challenger to be only 4538 sprightly pounds, while the Charger is an enormous 4586. But the new widebody Challengers are 60 pounds heavier than your old one.

it is great that FCA offers both cars, as they provide choices, VS GM and Ford. But Weight and performance to me is irrelevant.
Most guys buying Challengers today had to tolerate four door cars(chryslers,polaras,Furys) and Minivans from 1980 to 2010 or so. but once the kids were gone, I swore i would buy a car I liked, riding by my self,and my wife.In the 70's before kids I drove many 68-69 Chargers, Darts, and 70 challengers. They were not like the cars today, but they worked.
If Thenew Charger was a two door, I would buy it. But I have had enough of four door cars.
and after four years of owning the 2016, nobody yet has ever ridden in the back seat of my Challenger.

and my fun car is still the 68 Charger

1968 charger side view.jpg 1968 chargr october 2018.jpg

That says it all, right there. The Charger is more versatile; the Challenger has the sporty image thing going on.
BTW, the Charger is slightly smaller in some dimensions and slightly lighter in weight.
One thing I've always fussed about with the Challenger is just how dang fat it is, both in dimensions and weight.
Check out pics of one sitting next to the original Challenger and you'll see what I mean.

I was in the market to buy a modern pony car and being who I am, I was looking at a 2011-14 Mustang GT ragtop, with the same generation Camaro SS as a backup. Friend of mine, who swears by his 2017 Challenger, asked me why a Challenger like his wasn't in the running and I bluntly told him that I wanted to buy a car, not a boat on wheels. No offense intended to people who like or own the new Challenger, but its just too fat to be attractive to me. I mean c'mon. What were the designers thinking.

But! I read something a little while ago that said that the Challenger is outselling the mustang and camaro, so what do I know...

Last edited:
I'll pull up numbers for my own 2012 Charger R/T and compare to same year Challenger R/T just for purposes of comparison on my post:
Charger R/T: 4,253 lbs
Challenger R/T: 4,365 lbs
Charger R/T Width 75.0 in
Challenger R/T Width: 75.7 in
As most will remember, they're both (along with the 300 and the Magnums) based on the Chrysler LX platform - and no, it wasn't originally just leftover Mercedes e-class architecture, but proprietary and mimicking a lot of the newer Mercedes 211 platform.
They did Chargers, then modified the platform a bit wider to build the Challenger...

The "one that got away" is that Dodge was also originally seriously into making a smaller version 2-door CONVERTIBLE on the LX platform, too. It got closer to production than folks realize.
In the end, the overlords and bean counters struck the project down, but from what I've read of interviews of the guys there at the time, they had it pretty darn close to production ready.
Imagine - an LX platform convertible 2 door that weighed 750 pounds less with the hemi!

“Every pound counts.”Weights one thing, just add horse power. Without a little weight it's not going to go anywhere with limited tire width. Friend has a Saleen Mustang, around 3800 lbs, 750 hp, zero-to-60-mph time in the mid-three-second neighborhood, if you can keep the tires from evaporating at the slightest touch of the go pedal, that is. More rubber is needed to get all that power to the ground effectively on any of them.

I was in the market to buy a modern pony car and being who I am, I was looking at a 2011-14 Mustang GT ragtop, with the same generation Camaro SS as a backup. Friend of mine, who swears by his 2017 Challenger, asked me why a Challenger like his wasn't in the running and I bluntly told him that I wanted to buy a car, not a boat on wheels. No offense intended to people who like or own the new Challenger, but its just too fat to be attractive to me. I mean c'mon. What were the designers thinking.

But! I read something a little while ago that said that the Challenger is outselling the mustang and camaro, so what do I know...
not only do they outsell, their resale value is higher. To me mustangs and camaros are toy cars, I owned the original 1970 Challenger back in the day, and they were cramped,uncomfortable, and noisy.The new ones are at least usable,

That is a SWEET RIDE!!!!!
DeltaV, you scored!!!
Before I changed the original rear(open diff 2.62? ratio) wife was getting 28+ highway, 22 MPG avg
Now with 3.90's and sure grip it has dropped a bit, (now 18 Avg, about 22-25 highway)
But she runs 4.5 sec 0-60, and high 12's at 107mph in the 1/4.

Love your color

ENJOY!!!!!
Here is my wifes's car in Maximum Steel Metallic
I did the shaker, she designed the decals and had them custom made.

IMG_0009.JPG resized shaker.jpg DSCF0670shaker 2.jpg

All the mods I have done are using MOPAR parts, so I would not void her warranty.
If you are into getting more performance from it, you can look into the SCAT PACKAGE (stage 1-3)
They are expensive but will not void warranty, and if you want to go down this road, there are ways you get the SCAT PACKAGE (stage 1 and 2) much less then advertised.

Beautiful car, once again GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Side note, all things (engine+ trans wise) being equal, the NEW Charger has a higher top speed then a Challenger.
Like 5+MPH I was told this is due to wind resistance.
The Challenger is a GREAT looking car, and I did have a problem with the Charger becoming a 4 door, but I have 2 boys, so we had to go for the 4 door.
If the aerodynamic thing is true, then the Charger should get slightly better MPG vs Challenger.
Although I don't know this to be fact, also with HEMI power under your foot MPG is not on your mind much!!!

Thanks to all of you for your replies. We lucked out and found a nicely equipped 2020 Charger R/T PLUS in South Carolina.
Indigo Blue exterior
Black Caramel interior
Nappa / Alcantara
Optional Equipment
Customer Preferred Package 29N
Plus Group
Performance Handling Group
Navigation and Travel Group
Cargo Net
Red Brake Calipers
View attachment 965706 View attachment 965707 View attachment 965708
Nice car, nice color too...
should be really nice to drive
congrats,
a happy wife, is a happy life too, win win

Thanks to all of you for your replies. We lucked out and found a nicely equipped 2020 Charger R/T PLUS in South Carolina.
Indigo Blue exterior
Black Caramel interior
Nappa / Alcantara
Optional Equipment
Customer Preferred Package 29N
Plus Group
Performance Handling Group
Navigation and Travel Group
Cargo Net
Red Brake Calipers
View attachment 965706 View attachment 965707 View attachment 965708
After more than a year of ownership:
No problems
No gremlins
No complaints
No warranty issues/work
9,541 miles as of last night
We still love it.​

Two oil services; around 4,000 mile interval.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back