• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new guy here with a new toy. a project 1968 GTX.

68GTXNH

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi, im tom from NH. just bought a 1968 gtx heres how the fender tags decoded:
CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 Red Side Wall, Steel Belted
BUILD DATE: April 06.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade Red Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Silver Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. Bright Blue Metallic Racing Stripe. Red Horizontal Sport Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
H1: Power Brakes
R1: AM Radio
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

so obviously you need pics but i have a few questions. was this really a silver car with the red side stripes and blue racing stripes? because ive also seen the 8 code mean it was a stripe delete car? any one shed light on this. ive certainly never see that color combo, silver with blue stripes. but it was a special order car so maybe that had something to do with it. also in the following picture of my fender tag, i have a large Z under the BC on the second line. i cant find info on what this means ANYWHERE. any ideas?

anyways heres the car. needs a little body work here and there just a few small spots in teh floors, lower qurated and rockers. also the guy side swiped a tree so theres a little crease int he drivers quarter. and the driver side torsion bar adjuster bolt broke so i gotta fix that to get rid of the sag. but its going to be a fun project. and for $4k i think i stole it. it came with 8 mopar wheels, 4 steelies, two original early 70s cragar ss and a couple aluminum mag wheels. two extra bumpers the stock hood. and an original A12 lift off hood.

00w0w_hhSen7Ak8Vo_600x450.jpg 00X0X_4FNTVSVc9ba_600x450.jpg 00202_2lxyPMl2bva_600x450.jpg 00303_65PPxoPVKRL_600x450.jpg 20160715_203431.jpg 20160715_213740.jpg 20160716_111624.jpg 20160718_072332.jpg

Last edited:
Hi tom from New Hampshire (Ski 93)
Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the forum

Great car!
Hmm, I'm doing a little research on your 68 GTX
Your question of the exterior paint code and stripe code is very interesting......
Great color by the way!

Hi tom from New Hampshire (Ski 93)
Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the forum

Great car!
Hmm, I'm doing a little research on your 68 GTX
Your question of the exterior paint code and stripe code is very interesting......
Great color by the way!
ya it was a weird mix. thats why i wanted to see what the people like to dabble in option codes might know what i have. i used the mymopar.com decoder. and i did find a list elsewhere that say the b option number 8 was a bright blue metallic racing stripe. but ive never seen seen the racing stripes any different then the usual satin balck. on andys440 page his says that 8 was a stripe delete, that was only a small listing of options he included to decode his coronet r/t. 68 is just the weird year for the tags so the info seems to be limited.

Wow, that looks alot like my car when I found it. Welcome, congrats and good luck. You will get plenty of help here.

Welcome to the site! You really found an interesting car. Its going to be sweet when its all done!

thanks guys, ya ill be posting alot im sure. ive got a ton of car projects but this is my first mopar, and my dream car, so clearly, is the new priority. ive always been a mopar guy and wanted a b body for ever but could never afford one (even tried to get the mopar feeling out of my other toys, you can see the monte in the background of one pic, yes its red with a black hood, a12 scoop, and black wheels with chrome lugnuts) and then this one popped up on CL the next town over and the price was insane so i jumped on it, luckily i was the first caller. his phone rang ten more times while i was there picking it up. especially for a real gtx. but ive had my eyes on road runners and chargers(even 6 cyls) for a long time. but for all the cars i found that were projects, if i could even find one in the first place, id pay twice as much, for half the car. everything else you find is already done and WAY out of my price range

So in the keeping up till 3 am researching ive done since i picked it up, mopars seem to be a different beast in terms of restoring. the sheetmetal available with AMD is phenomenal, but im finding the other stuff to be much trickier. for example, on my 70 monte carlo or my 70 gto. one call to OPGI and i have have a couple boxes show up with the ENTIRE collection of parts for a fully restored new interior. i havent found anything like that for the gtx. so ill just have to buy what i can as i find it, and try to restore and salvage what i can else. probably have to learn how to do the old school vinyl tear repairs too. does anyone have good parts sources like the opgi equivalent for mopar? i know classic industries is decent but still fairly limited. the rarity of the mopar just makes it that much trickier. heck, if you wanted to you, you could build a brand new 2016 dime-a-dozen muscle car (first gen camaros mustangs chevelles etc) just buying one of everything is some of those catalogs.

andy from andys440 personally got back to me, he said the Z is actually a sideways N and that means it was a Lynch Road assembly plant car. does this mean anything of extra value or doing things differently then the other plants?

Welcome to FBBO from hot & dry NorCal,
looks like an extensive project in your future...

Good luck & Happy Moparing

Maybe start a build thread in Member Projects & restoration,
or General discussion forums, it'll get far more views that way...
Mainly here in the welcome wagon is more for intros &
getting to know one another, telling a few stories, sharing a few photos, etc...

It's not really intended as a Q&A or tech section...

ok cool thanks

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal. Glad to have you on board. This is an awesome site for learning and sharing. Cool ride - I have a 68 GTX also. Love the cars.

Welcome to the forum...Nice 68!

Have you been able to locate a build Sheet?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Welcome aboard! Nice original color combo on your car. Check out the vendors on this site for parts. Legendary seat covers, Layson's, Tony's, Classic's Industries, Mancini's, etc. all have great products.

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome guys. nice car 68gtxman i do love the plymouth side decals. were those an option for any vehicles besides the superbirds ? Andy440 told me that because it was a lynch road car, the 8 meant that the car was buffed, which was an option only on the silver metallic. so its not a racing stripe designation as if it were a different plant. i havent found a build sheet yet at least in the seat springs havent checked above the glove box yet. i found a list of the hiding places so ill take a look when i get home as suggested ill start a build thread and put up any pics i take along the way, also pose most of my questions to the correct forums. i also want all your opinions of various directions to take. apparently the guy blew the motor street racing in the mid 70s and they put a 70 440RB init. so everything but the motor is matching. so unfortunately, its not number matching, but that opens up the possibility of not staying dead set of keeping it restored to the fender tag. i do love the silver with black top and red stripe but there are alot of other colors out there that are just awesome. i do love the hi impact colors, from what ive read it seems there a 50/50 divide. half say pre 70 with a hi impact paint job is blasphemous, and the other half say its you car, those colors are awesome, do whatever you want.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
nice car 68gtxman i do love the plymouth side decals. were those an option for any vehicles besides the superbirds ? .

I don't believe that any cars except the Superbirds came from the factory with the large "Plymouth" decal but Richard Petty raced 1968 Roadrunners with it painted on the quarters!

My decals were made by Challengergary. If he's not on FBBO, go find him at FABO.com

Auto Transport Service
Back