• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hemi owner questions

19 69 GTX

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
Finally got myself a real Hemi 69 GTX. Non numbers matching engine but that's ok. This may be one of the first street hemi blocks. Date is 8/16/65 on it. Anyway I'm unfamiliar with Hemi engines and just want to drive it like it is for awhile before I have body work done. It's unmolested never repainted not many left like this. Carbs say C0 4345 on them and just curious if they are decent carbs a day what cfm. Is the I take in the picture decent. Engine was supposed to have been rebuilt over 15 years ago never fired. By the way the cam sounds I'd say for sure stock..not hardly any lope. I'll probably put a bigger cam eventually for some sound lol. Hate the valve covers already lol. It's still running points accel distributor which electronic would make it run much better. The carbs I know about they have been rebuilt but have sat a very long time. Any recommendations on little things to have her purring like a kitten. I do have a Joe Dirt decal for the rear glass on the way no joke.

Where is this picture you mention? If you uploaded them, you skipped a step where you choose to post all as either a full or thumbnail.
Congrats on the car.

Pic's

20240602_112253_copy_1200x1600.jpg

20240603_114555_copy_1200x1600.jpg

Where is this picture you mention? If you uploaded them, you skipped a step where you choose to post all as either a full or thumbnail.
Congrats on the car.
Hopefully I don't have to sale it. Need to sell my 69 Roadrunner with a Hellcat Redeye swap in order to keep this.

Show us some pictures of the car, please. As for the engine, just get it sorted out and tuned up. It takes time and trying different stuff and seeing how the car reacts to the changes. Drive it and see what it feels like it needs and change one thing at a time.

I’m no expert but when I googled that carb number I get a response they were used on 67 Hemi RO/WO cars. All street Hemi carbs were 625 cfm Carters. I assume 4345s are to but not completely sure. Also, not completely sure of their significance but here is an old thread on them.

Any Original 67 RO/WO owners or experts here? ? on the Hemi Carter Carb

4345S Carburetor Info Page

Don’t be too quick getting rid of the dual point. An electronic distributor won’t make it run any better as long as the points are in good shape and gapped right.

Good luck with the car and enjoy.

Don’t be too quick getting rid of the dual point. An electronic distributor won’t make it run any better as long as the points are in good shape and gapped right.

I was going to say this aswell.

Those valve covers look like the light weigh aluminum Mopar ones says Mopar on them. They have problems leaking and cracking around bolts from over tightening. There worth some money depending on condition.

Those valve covers look like the light weigh aluminum Mopar ones says Mopar on them. They have problems leaking and cracking around bolts from over tightening. There worth some money depending on condition.
Yep. Those are dual-plug valve covers made of paper-thin aluminum. I had a set and tried selling them- no takers. I gave them to a neighbor who at least appreciated what they were.

Yeah, I just bought a Hemi clone last year, was overhauled before the previous owner bought it 10 years ago. Engine overhaul was suspicious, smoked to high heaven. Overhauled again, roughly 5 or 6 years ago. I wanted to clean it up and repaint it, but one thing led to another, oh boy. Ended up tearing it down, very glad that I did. People that don't know what they are doing, Hemi wise, shouldn't work on them. No, I am not a Hemi guru, but know someone that is. The things that I found, glad that I went into it! Be suspicious of your overhaul, start looking. Nothing wrong with that Accel distributor, unless you don't like it.
Good luck with your new car!

Yeah, I just bought a Hemi clone last year, was overhauled before the previous owner bought it 10 years ago. Engine overhaul was suspicious, smoked to high heaven. Overhauled again, roughly 5 or 6 years ago. I wanted to clean it up and repaint it, but one thing led to another, oh boy. Ended up tearing it down, very glad that I did. People that don't know what they are doing, Hemi wise, shouldn't work on them. No, I am not a Hemi guru, but know someone that is. The things that I found, glad that I went into it! Be suspicious of your overhaul, start looking. Nothing wrong with that Accel distributor, unless you don't like it.
Good luck with your new car!
What did you find? Easiest way to learn is by other's mistakes.

Let's see, MSD distributor reluctor was solid rust, surprised that it ran. Two bad rocker arms, couldn't be adjusted. Valley head bolt washers improperly installed. Heavy rods required balancing like I have never seen. Oil pickup tube was loose in the block, silicone in the pickup screen. Rusty valve covers had been chromed, chrome was flaking off and going through the oiling system. Small retainer bearing 4-speed, no filler ring for large hole in bellhousing, pilot bearing was pushed inside of crankshaft. Anyway, glad that I went into it. Actually, the car mechanically, and other areas, was a mess. A local had the car, I thought that I knew the car. Hah, but that's on me, now I am paying for it. You don't know them till you work on them.

20231120_192315.jpg

20231120_192315.jpg

20231117_182223.jpg

20231117_161156.jpg

Let's see, MSD distributor reluctor was solid rust, surprised that it ran. Two bad rocker arms, couldn't be adjusted. Valley head bolt washers improperly installed. Heavy rods required balancing like I have never seen. Oil pickup tube was loose in the block, silicone in the pickup screen. Rusty valve covers had been chromed, chrome was flaking off and going through the oiling system. Small retainer bearing 4-speed, no filler ring for large hole in bellhousing, pilot bearing was pushed inside of crankshaft. Anyway, glad that I went into it. Actually, the car mechanically, and other areas, was a mess. A local had the car, I thought that I knew the car. Hah, but that's on me, now I am paying for it. You don't know them till you work on them.

View attachment 1673858

View attachment 1673859

View attachment 1673860

View attachment 1673876
Wow, I build engines, used to do it professionally, and I've seen some sketchy ****, but that takes the cake! Good luck, just do one project at a time.

Does this car run? From your other post, the carbs don't match your intake, so the primary blades shouldn't open all the way. I would also say I agree with previous poster about checking it out fully. I see lots of mistakes on brackets, kickdown spring, carbs, fuel lines etc.... While not critical stuff, it does tell someone did not know how it was suppose to be and they did not care to find out how to do it right.

If you don't know what they did on the motor rebuild you run the risk of damage after some run time. Wipe cam, etc...

Auto Transport Service
Back