• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Nicks Garage" Rebuilds That 727

I'm doing my first 727 rebuild. I have watched both of these videos and I am learning all the time. I agree that Nick's is much more basic, but he also strikes me as a guy who generally knows his stuff and stands behind his work.

ALL this stuff helps. I have been watching many YouTube videos and reading a book by Carl Munroe. Good stuff. I now know enough to be dangerous! Here is my transmission build (so far) in case anyone is interested.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawks-first-727-transmission-rebuild.232272/

After watching the Nick's Garage vid on the '69 727 rebuild, about an hour long. I STAND CORRECTED, he does know his stuff about a 727. The first one I saw was so generic. This one was great. Very interesting, he used most of the same techniques I use. Although I let the clutch discs soak in the ATF for a while, until all the bubbles stop.
Hawk, Your BB 727 is an interesting piece. A three pinion planetary but a five disc front clutch. The five disc clutch appears to be the thin steel thin friction combo to fit into an OEM four disc drum. An excellent system. I'm still a believer in the four pinion planetary. Others have different opinions. Be sure to match the front drum style to the pump support(wide bushing drum needs the wide pump support).

Nick is a ‘top bloke’ as we say in the UK.
He had a few bad moments during lockdown and it made me laugh!
“To err is human” and we all know that giving your secrets away “is bad business”...
Been an engineer all my life, but never took a trans apart, way too risky!
But a friend came around one day and gave me ‘an idiots guide’ to the 727.
He was not a mechanic or an engineer just confident...

His Dyno runs are sweet music, no bull just Dyno mometer in all its glory!!!:luvplace:

I've done a few and they've worked well but I'm by no means an expert. It is fairly easy doing an easy refresh on a unit that was working good but just needs a refresh. I live by the FSMs for what I do. I bought some parts from Pat Blais in the Wa. area for my last build quite a few years ago. A few minutes on the phone with him really pointed me in the right direction for that build and it is amazing what an expert on these transmissions know. Setting line pressures, how many clutch springs to use etc.

IMHO the starting point is with a FSM. U tube can then be a help. My first 727, I laid out all the parts on the floor and stared at the FSM until I was confident.
Knowing what the parts combination should be for a particular application is important, maybe learned by experience. I tried numerous combinations in my drag race 727's. Also built a number of street HP 727's that worked very well. The combination of clutch discs in the front drum, # of springs, front servo lever ratio, front servo springs, all to match the valve body.
Much of this you can't get from U Tube.

Exactly. Like I say a straight, stock rebuild on a trans that was tired but working well is pretty easy but when you start changing things it's a different deal.

This book is very helpful too and has nice color photos. :)

Book cover.jpg

I run the thin 5 disc in my racecar. It has been flawless. Though 5 plate is not necessary at the lower power levels. A 4 disc will easily cover 750hp. My race car also runs 3 pin planets (750 passes+). The planet carrier itself will strip the splines before the gears fail.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back