• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no hot water to heater

devonhealth

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
Ground up restoration 170 gtx 426 new Ray Barton Hemi. Can not get hot water to heater core, which is new, with reconditioned heater box, A/C. Have hoses connected correctly going thru new water valve which is also working. The problem is, (and I've never seen this happen) the engine is up to operating temperature 155 degrees, but the water in the inlet hose to heater (outlet from the engine) is not even luke warm and the outlet hose from the core to the engine is cold...What in the world could be causing this??? How can engine temp be HOT, Radiator HOT to touch and the water coming off the water pump to the heater be cold. I'm very perplexed to say the least. Any Ideas befor I start pulling the water pump???? (It's new also)

Many thanks,
Dan

There may be an air trap in the heater core. It happened to me once. I loosened the clamp from the hose at the outlet side of the heater core. Started the engine and worked the hose loose to bleed out the air. Once I had coolant leaking from the hose installed the clamp and the heater worked fine.

At 155*,the thermostat has not opened yet.Once it opens you should get the flow going:blob1:

Good point HEMI-ITIS. I overlooked the 155 degree temp.

Both points well taken!! It now works fine. I disconnected one side of the core hoses, let some coolant come out and within seconds, very hot water started to flow, maybe it was the air in the core or maybe the thermostat kicked in or BOTH.......Thanks very much.
Dan

Both points well taken!! It now works fine. I disconnected one side of the core hoses, let some coolant come out and within seconds, very hot water started to flow, maybe it was the air in the core or maybe the thermostat kicked in or BOTH.......Thanks very much.
Dan

And for what it's worth,155* is not operating temp.If that "is" your actual operating temp,you have a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back