• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Spoilers after 71 ... right ?

Sputnik

Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
So B bodies got a spoiler in 71 (GTX/RR) , Gull wing style , any spoilers seen on 72-74's are add-ons, correct ?

that is generally true,but i have seen articles in the car magazines of a 72 charger or RR maybe both that supposidly had them from the factory installed,but maybe you had to special order them after 71.

Just checking - adding the Gull or (more popular) Go wings, seems to be fairly popular as I've seen alot of 71-74's with them added - will be doing the same myself !

I *believe* that spoilers on 1972 model year B's are late '71 builds ( e.g. , first 3 months of production , give or take ). Same goes for fresh air hoods ( though I've personally seen a largely-original '72 Road Runner with the base 400 and factory-installed Air Grabber , which had a March '72 build date from St. Louis ) . It's like the esoteric and widely-fabled '72 440 Six Barrel / Six Pack motors in '72 Rallye Charger & Road Runner / GTX models : all ( 6-10 ) of them were late '71 builds .

My understanding is that only the '71 deck lid had the prestamped bolt hole in the frame provision for the wing. After that, there were no prestamped bolt holes.

Same goes for fresh air hoods ( though I've personally seen a largely-original '72 Road Runner with the base 400 and factory-installed Air Grabber , which had a March '72 build date from St. Louis ) . It's like the esoteric and widely-fabled '72 440 Six Barrel / Six Pack motors in '72 Rallye Charger & Road Runner / GTX models : all ( 6-10 ) of them were late '71 builds .

N96 was available at least through June leading me to believe it was available for the entire '72 model year.

RE '72 6bbl cars: There's really nothing odd, strange, mysterious, estoteric, fabled or cryptic about these cars. They were planned and cancelled the first week of production, possibly due to the wage/price freezes and other anti-inflation action at the time. It was an option that was cancelled like many others. No big deal.

RE '72 6bbl cars: There's really nothing odd, strange, mysterious, estoteric, fabled or cryptic about these cars. They were planned and cancelled the first week of production, possibly due to the wage/price freezes and other anti-inflation action at the time. It was an option that was cancelled like many others. No big deal.

Let me further explain what I mean by "esoteric" ...

The 1972 440 Six Pack / Six Barrel is esoteric in its own capacity ; by definition of "esoteric" ( something understood by very few and-or within a limited group ) ; it's a one-year-only motor ; it was the last high-compression , multi-carburettor motor built and sold by Chrysler .

Its cancellation had nothing to do with inflation , strikes , Lou Reed's solo album , or anything of the sort . Its cancellation was due only to the "E.P.A. Noose" ; the ever-tightening noose which killed anything performance-related.
1972 saw : EGR , Thermostatic air cleaners / pre-heat tubes , etc. , etc. , none-of-which would interface with a multi-carb induction setup.
I theorise that Chrysler was doing not only a "build-out" ( ridding themselves of remaining high-comp motor inventories ) , but also perhaps trying to "slip-one-in" before calendar-year 1972 ; Ford's Boss 351 for 1971 had a similar deal : all orders were to be placed before 31.12.1970 .

I've met one person whom had a 1972 Charger Rallye with the "V" code 440 . He owned it back in the early 80's , and knew it was rare back then .
I saw vintage photos of it ( was FY1 Top Banana ) ; it was built at the Lynch Road facility ( WP23V2A , according to one of its Polaroid pics of the dash vin ) ; and , from what I could garner from pics of the boiler room and from the owner's memory , it had an EEC Canister ; however , I couldn't ascertain as to whether or not it was connected to the centre carb .
It came from Arizona originally ; the Six Pack ( et al. ) wasn't available in good ole Ca .

It's been 16 , 17 years since I'd seen these photos , and equally as long a time since I've seen the car's owner .
He traded the Charger in 1987 for a '70 Hemi 'Cuda hardtop . The 'Cuda was clean and needed nothing , whereas the Charger needed restored ( the southwest is hell on vinyl , plastic , paint , etc. ).

There are supposed to be a tiny handful of these around , with ~5 accounted for. It'd be great to see an article in Mopar Action about these anomalies .

The 1972 440 Six Pack / Six Barrel is esoteric in its own capacity ; by definition of "esoteric" ( something understood by very few and-or within a limited group ) ; it's a one-year-only motor ; it was the last high-compression , multi-carburettor motor built and sold by Chrysler .

Its cancellation had nothing to do with inflation , strikes , Lou Reed's solo album , or anything of the sort . Its cancellation was due only to the "E.P.A. Noose" ; the ever-tightening noose which killed anything performance-related.
1972 saw : EGR , Thermostatic air cleaners / pre-heat tubes , etc. , etc. , none-of-which would interface with a multi-carb induction setup.
I theorise that Chrysler was doing not only a "build-out" ( ridding themselves of remaining high-comp motor inventories ) , but also perhaps trying to "slip-one-in" before calendar-year 1972 ; Ford's Boss 351 for 1971 had a similar deal : all orders were to be placed before 31.12.1970 .

I've met one person whom had a 1972 Charger Rallye with the "V" code 440 . He owned it back in the early 80's , and knew it was rare back then .
I saw vintage photos of it ( was FY1 Top Banana ) ; it was built at the Lynch Road facility ( WP23V2A , according to one of its Polaroid pics of the dash vin ) ; and , from what I could garner from pics of the boiler room and from the owner's memory , it had an EEC Canister ; however , I couldn't ascertain as to whether or not it was connected to the centre carb .
It came from Arizona originally ; the Six Pack ( et al. ) wasn't available in good ole Ca .

It's been 16 , 17 years since I'd seen these photos , and equally as long a time since I've seen the car's owner .
He traded the Charger in 1987 for a '70 Hemi 'Cuda hardtop . The 'Cuda was clean and needed nothing , whereas the Charger needed restored ( the southwest is hell on vinyl , plastic , paint , etc. ).

There are supposed to be a tiny handful of these around , with ~5 accounted for. It'd be great to see an article in Mopar Action about these anomalies .

The above bolded quote is NOT how Mopar did things.

Left over factory ASSEMBLY plant inventory (engines) from the previous year after plant shut down for new model year change over were transferred to the parts depot warehouses to be used as "service engines" since they were already stamped with a model year code on the top pad and could not be used in the new model year cars. These engines were available both for over the counter sales and for use as warranty replacement engines if needed.

Its cancellation had nothing to do with inflation ....

What's to understand? They were planned, they were cancelled. My, factual not guessing, speculating or theorizing, reference as to the demise of the 6bbl option is from the 72 Dodge data book addendum sent to dealers so they could update the already shipped data books. Sadly, it is undated and doesn't give us an idea when the 6bbl option, along with others, were deleted. The wage/price freeze are listed as being at the cause of the deletions/changes.

Ever noticed some 72's have a pentastar emblem on the right fender and some don't? Notice the reference to deleting the Pentastar emblem.

Attachments

• Dodge_Addendum_700.jpg
    Dodge_Addendum_700.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 72_Dodge_Charger_errata_1_600.jpg
    72_Dodge_Charger_errata_1_600.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 72_Charger0005_pg_73.jpg
    72_Charger0005_pg_73.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 375
Wow , I check back in to see if anyone chimed in on my spoiler question and looky what's happened......... I see someone defined "esoteric" for us, can you define "hi-jacked thread" ? Just kidding, interesting stuff. You boys keep it up, just don't start calling names ( like "Galen wanna-be" or such ). For every hobby on earth, from Happy Meal toy collectors, to tapioca pudding aficionados, there will always be those extremists who live and breathe their hobby (nerd is the word, truthfully) Again, not being sarcastic, it is interesting reading but out of my league fer sher ............... just a "regular" Mopar guy.

Wow , I check back in to see if anyone chimed in on my spoiler question and looky what's happened......... I see someone defined "esoteric" for us, can you define "hi-jacked thread" ? Just kidding, interesting stuff. You boys keep it up, just don't start calling names ( like "Galen wanna-be" or such ). For every hobby on earth, from Happy Meal toy collectors, to tapioca pudding aficionados, there will always be those extremists who live and breathe their hobby (nerd is the word, truthfully) Again, not being sarcastic, it is interesting reading but out of my league fer sher ............... just a "regular" Mopar guy.

I know, right?
For the record, Lou Reed's first solo album didn't come out until "72....

The thread was "spoiled"

I know, right?
For the record, Lou Reed's first solo album didn't come out until "72....

Also for the record, my grandmother made fantastic tapioca pudding ( a touch of nutmeg) but Jell-O brand will do in a pinch. ;)

Making bacon-infused vodka is relatively easy. In order to properly execute this infusion you will need some time. Therefore, it is best to plan ahead, about three weeks ahead. And, this is how you do it: Cook three to four pieces of bacon in a frying pan. Once cooked, add bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. You could also go hog wild pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps. Optional: add crushed black peppercorns. Fill the jar up with Vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear-filtered, pale yellow bacon vodka. Decant into bottles and enjoy . Garnish with crispy strip of bacon. (Makes one pint of vodka). Badda-bing badda-boom.

Sorry, as long as we are off-topic, might as well be useful! Bacon is why muslim's are angry!! They want it, but cant have it!
And BTW, yes, I agree with you Sputnik. But there is also the chance of dealer installed. Lets just stick with bacon vodka and have a good time! Alcohol and bacon......Does it get any better!

What a great bunch - glad no one was offended. Beautiful Sunday afternoon , surfing the net on the veranda , listening to Lou Reed whilst enjoying my dealer installed bacon Vodka and admiring my incorrect spoiler ...... does it get any better ?

No - maybe some of Grandma's tapioca pudding , with "nutmeg" ( :icon_weed: yeah, right !)

Auto Transport Service
Back